Strange Mi-4 modification

Stingray

Resident retro rainbow rotorhead nerdy girl, uwu
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
I found this picture of an Mi-4 with a modification I have never seen on a rotorcraft before. Its designated Mi-4MK:

http://www.mi-helicopter.ru/eng/index.php?id=15

43E9BA48.jpg

Any info would be great. ;D

Stingray

Another variant I didn't know about: http://www.airwar.ru/enc/ah/mi4av.html

Thanks for the links. There are so many variants I have never heard of. Its hard to keep track of them all. :D

Mi-4MK aka Mi-4PP = EW support (jamming in this case)

...Based on the antenna arrays, I suspect this was used by the US Army to circumvent TV blackouts during football season ;D

Loren said:
The games were blacked out in Russia ;D

...I'm reminded of what my old buddy Yakov Smirnoff had to say about TV under the Evil Soviet Empire:

"In Soviet Union, we have two TV channels. One is TV, the other is KGB guy saying 'turn back to Channel 1'."

Hi to all.
One more Mil helicopter project and another Mi-4 and M-2 variants
Regards

Attachments

• Mi-2 exp.jpg
    Mi-2 exp.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 470
  • Mil M-3 p.jpg
    Mil M-3 p.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 504
  • Mi-4 up.jpg
    Mi-4 up.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 428
The Mi's "flying banana" is really fascinating. Do you have any further info on this project? And perhaps a picture of better quality as well as size?

Best regards,
Piotr

It says that it is the Mi-3, but the only information that I have been able to find is that the Mi-3 was one of the planned Mi-2 derivatives.

And the mock-up

Attachments

• Mil Mi-3.jpg
    Mil Mi-3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 361
Loren said:
It says that it is the Mi-3, but the only information that I have been able to find is that the Mi-3 was one of the planned Mi-2 derivatives.

The designation of the Mil's projects could be misleading (it applies to other Soviet designer offices as well): what is regarded as the Mi-3 was designated as the Mil V-3 (V for Viertoliot i.e. helicopter). It was the first usage of the V-3 designation. Later it was reused and was allocated to what then became the Polish W-3 Sokół helicopter (Russian letter "B" is in Polish transliterated as "W" rather than "V").

The two-rotor project's drawing, as it can be read, says that this is the M-3 (not Mi-3) whose designer is Mil M.P. The project is defined as 'transport-assault helicopter' (the word "gielikoptier" has been used, not "viertoliot"; the Soviets at first used the international term and then replaced it with their own 'viertoliot').

Best regards,
Piotr

Hi to all!
Dear Piotr!
Let me do some notes.
Mi-3 was designation for Mi-1 in ambulance variant.
These Mi-2 (see pic) was used as rescue device with crew 13 rescuemen inside in case when it was impossible to land (becaise of fire etc.) They were carrying by Mi-8, Mi-6 or Ka-32. 6 were built in Krasnodar.
And another strange variant of Mi-2. Source: Flight Intern/ march 1987
Best regards

Attachments

• Mi-2 puzzle.jpg
    Mi-2 puzzle.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 386
  • Mi-2 rescue device.jpg
    Mi-2 rescue device.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 389
  • Mi-2 ex2.jpg
    Mi-2 ex2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 402
ucon said:
Hi to all!
And another strange variant of Mi-2. Source: Flight Intern/ march 1987
This smoke curtaining /smokescreen/, on base
Ми- 2Х =(Mi-2 Ch, Ch-chemiczny, Chemical)
From “Aviation and time” magazine #6, 04

Attachments

• Mi-2 H or Mi-2 RHR .jpg
    Mi-2 H or Mi-2 RHR .jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 418
  • Mi-2 RH (with WDZ-80) .jpg
    Mi-2 RH (with WDZ-80) .jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 402
Stingray said:
Thanks for the links. There are so many variants I have never heard of. Its hard to keep track of them all. :D

Two pictures of Mi-4A, used by the Deutsche Lufthansa (the GDR one, not that from West Germany) around 1961 for calibration flights to determinate antenna graphs of TV and radio stations.

SOURCE: magazine Deutsche Flugtechnik 11/1961 (page 413)

Attachments

• Mi-4 (new configuration).JPG
    Mi-4 (new configuration).JPG
    266.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Mi-4 (old configuration).JPG
    Mi-4 (old configuration).JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 55
Anyone has some information about Mi 4 (or Mi 8) modification for Soviet manned lunar programme (to simulate the LK landing)??

Hi, Archipeppe

Below are 2 pix of Mi-4. There are some more pix but it needs time to find them in my archieve.
Regards

Attachments

• Mi-4 LP-1.jpg
    Mi-4 LP-1.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Mi-4 LP-2.jpg
    Mi-4 LP-2.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 72
ucon said:
Hi, Archipeppe

Below are 2 pix of Mi-4. There are some more pix but it needs time to find them in my archieve.
Regards

Many, many thanks Ucon!!!
It appears that Russians has heavily modified the back side of Mi 4 in order to have a sort of mock-up of the LK (the Russian Lunar Lander).
The upper device it seems to be an optical telescope or smoething like that....

I will wait for your further photos.

Not a modification, but strange ;) ...

Attachments

• Mi-4_(US).JPG
    Mi-4_(US).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 81
You almost fooled me on this one, but I have to say: April fool! The lettering on the serial is not quite the same font as the "U.S. Army" and looks like a re-creation (I've done plenty of similar collages...). Also the red line in the national marking seems a little too thin... Very nice all the same!

April joke? ... not quite, Stéphane ;) . Here is the solution of the riddle: The producers of the movie "Der Traum des Hauptmann Loy" (1961) needed a helicopter in US markings, so they took one of the GDR Lufthansa's crane helicopters, the Mi-4 'DM-SPA', for this task. You can detect the code letters on the helicopter's belly in the picture below (of course this sequence wasn't used in the movie :D ) ...

(SOURCE: Hubschrauber im Einsatz by Günter Krönert, ISBN 978-3-360-02708-5, Berlin, 2011, page 118&119)

Attachments

• IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 86
Mi-4 "Dolphin" variant:

(As to what it was for, I'm not sure. The source PDF is in Russian, which I speak nothing of.)

Attachments

• dolphin4.png
    dolphin4.png
    796.6 KB · Views: 99
  • dolphin3.png
    dolphin3.png
    957.6 KB · Views: 95
  • dolphin2.png
    dolphin2.png
    520.5 KB · Views: 88
  • dolphin1.png
    dolphin1.png
    538.9 KB · Views: 87
  • dolphin5.png
    dolphin5.png
    514.1 KB · Views: 75
hi

is there any projects from OKB Mil for a turboshaft engine/'s variant Mi-4 ?

Not Mil, but Harbin. https://sites.google.com/site/stingrayslistofrotorcraft/Harbin-Z-6

I think this has been asked before elsewhere.

As far as I can tell, a Russian twin-turboshaft Mi-4 did exist at one point, but only as a proposal. I don't think it was ever actually built except in the incarnation of the single-engine V-8 prototype, which did borrow design features of the Mi-4.

Petrus said:
The two-rotor project's drawing, as it can be read, says that this is the M-3 (not Mi-3) whose designer is Mil M.P.

Err, no. The lettering on the name seen on the document can seem misleading because the Russian "L" and "P" look very much alike. So we see instead "Mil M.L." as in "Mil, Mikhail Leontyevich." ;)