Stealth Car

Nico

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
as I already wrote in this blog, I love the cars as well as the aircraft (and perhaps more...).
Among my files I found this car with the body designed to resemble the Lockheed F-117 stealth fighter. This 'divertissement' bore a British licence plate but I lack any information about it.
Anyone of you can elights me?
Nico

Attachments

• 162.jpg
    162.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 416
  • Stealth Car_70.jpg
    Stealth Car_70.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 403
Ah, Google. Is there anything it *can't* do?

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_214162-Custom-Made-Stealth-1993.html
This car was designed and built by Jim Router. I worked with Jim in the early eighties in Holland (Volvo). He did the car as a project to beat radar and speed traps. Jim had spent a long time at LOTUS and had the oppurtunity to work with Colin Chapman before his demise. The car was a 'one off' and as far as I know Jim didn't pursue it any further.

To paraphrase Arnold, "Dat's one ugly mudda f**ka" :eek:

ninjamode said:
Seriously, why does the square design help it beat the radars? Is it reflecting light? I don't understand.

Dunno ???

I get the feeling that it was designed (using that term loosely) according to the "If-it-looks-like-a-stealth-fighter-it-must-be-able-to-defeat-radar-speed-traps" principle. ::)

ninjamode said:
I wouldn't get me one of those, though. If it's gonna be that ugly, it better be invisible :D

I don't care! Invisible or not, I'd still need someone to pay me big time before I'd drive around in one of those :eek:

Regards & all,

Thomas L. Nielsen
Luxembourg

Hahaha, stealth fighter, it looks more like one of them Star Troopers or Sky Rangers or whatever that show was called. Or maybe more like that Voltron cartoon a few years back :D

I guess if it's invisible, you won't know that it's this fugly either and then it'd be ok :D:D:D

Not sure if anyone is interested but I have a copy of the article from Autocar magazine when this car appeared... is it ok to place a scan of it on here?
Let me know and I'll sort something.
Cheers, Malky

tubtattoo said:
Not sure if anyone is interested but I have a copy of the article from Autocar magazine when this car appeared... is it ok to place a scan of it on here?
Let me know and I'll sort something.
Cheers, Malky

tubtattoo, I for one would like to see that article, so please feel free to scan it if you can. Thanks!

I always liked the 'Tumbler from "Batman Begins". Actually did enough R&D to come up with a do-able reverse trike, using Citroen 2CV front end with revised placement of the original trailing-arm torsion suspension, to get the same kind of stance and look. Now,... If only I had the $$ to build it... TumblerTrike.png

Didn't saw that thread back then, but I clearly remember reading about that peculiar car in a French automotive magazine back in the day - mid-90's (L'Action auto)

No idea if that's a true story... it ran the following way.

------------

Guess what happened ? Remember the guy hoped to escape radars with a stealth car, and thus he could drive at very high speed, escaping fines.

Bad luck: he was caught by police nonetheless - NOT by a radar, but by an anonymized Rover police car driving behind him in the traffic.

Conclusion of the magazine "he had build a stealth car; he ended with a stealth, invisible... driving licence."
("furtif, le permis de conduire !")

------------

Seems the designer was not a nobody but Jim Router, a well-known car designer (De Lorean, Jaguar XJR-15, Lotus).

Last edited:
The original car has been SORN'd (Statutory Off the Road Notification)

Vehicle Details​

Vehicle make ROUTER

Date of first registration February 1994

Year of manufacture 1993

Cylinder capacity 1588 cc

CO₂ emissions Not available

Fuel type PETROL

Euro status Not available

Real Driving Emissions (RDE) Not available

Export marker No

Vehicle status SORN

Vehicle colour BLACK

Vehicle type approval Not available

Wheelplan 2 AXLE RIGID BODY

Revenue weight 1150 kg

Date of last V5C (logbook) issued 20 January 2012

I always liked the 'Tumbler from "Batman Begins". Actually did enough R&D to come up with a do-able reverse trike, using Citroen 2CV front end with revised placement of the original trailing-arm torsion suspension, to get the same kind of stance and look. Now,... If only I had the $$ to build it...View attachment 663982
Something to drive around in if you ever get to Burning Man ...

Talking about Batman car - I can see Alfred Pennyworth opening the door, watching at the colorfoul people around him - and saying in a fateful voice "Some men just want to watch Burning Man... burn"

Talking about Batman car - I can see Alfred Pennyworth opening the door, watching at the colorfoul people around him - and saying in a fateful voice "Some men just want to watch Burning Man... burn"

Attachments

• BBBB.png
    BBBB.png
    619.9 KB · Views: 30