Another French light vehicle

Nico

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi Friends,
Last January I bored you with a slide of an unidentified French 4x4 utility truck. We were unable to identify it but we could ascertain that it was a derivative of Land Rover.
Now, digging in my unidentified pictures archive, I found two very small negatives (snapped with an "half-format" Olympus Pen in 1965). With such small area, scanning is diffuclt but I obtained the two JPEG I enclose.
The subject is definitely a version of the popular Renault R 4L, in the same class of the Citroën Mehari but with traditional steel body (not plastic like Mehari, if I remember right). Pictures are very bad, but on the front grille we can see the 4L logo of the small Renault car. Moreover, the car was paint olive drab and had a canvas cover of the same color.
What I ask yoy is if this version of the R 4L was an experiment, perhaps of an Italian car body builder, or was a regular version produced in France, perhaps for military usage.
Thank you
Nico

Attachments

• Renault 4L_96.jpg
    Renault 4L_96.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 143
  • Renault 4L_97.jpg
    Renault 4L_97.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 127
that not a Renault 4L
mabye that logo "4L" is "PL"
like this
Pl_logo5.gif

that Panhard French manufacturer of light tactical and military vehicles. who build also cars until 1970s

I forget to say un important aspect of the matter: the car was in Italy, with an Italian licence plate. So, was more probably a French series production type, cleared for export, or an one-off or limited production creation of an Italian car body maker.
I remeber that the logo was definitely '4L'
Nico

I confirm that this is Renault based and definitely the "4L" logo.

I have a website on Renault and have literally tens of thousands of files on the subject on my home computer. I'll try to dig that one for you tonight, Nico.

so it's a Renault
i know they work on TRM 500 (A revised Fiat 1107AD "Campagnola")
index.php

for the Europa Jeep project
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7124.0.html

but this Vehicle is dissimilar to TRM 500

Stargazer2006 said:
I have a website on Renault and have literally tens of thousands of files on the subject on my home computer. I'll try to dig that one for you tonight, Nico.

you got a link to your Renault webpage ?

Michel Van said:
so it's a Renault
i know they work on TRM 500 (A revised Fiat 1107AD "Campagnola")
index.php

for the Europa Jeep project
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7124.0.html

but this Vehicle is dissimilar to TRM 500

Stargazer2006 said:

you got a link to your Renault webpage ?

It's in the process of a complete overhaul. Haven't updated in almost two years!!

http://renaultconcepts.free.fr

Thank you very much Star,
I appreciate the Renault site, but I failed to find any mention of the subject.
Happy to see that you (as me) are also a car fan!

Nico