SPY Radar

This is the sort of request that makes people with actual in-depth information very wary -- it's almost too naive to be a real attempt to collect classified information, but it sure looks questionable.

I just want some help with a ship design I'm doing for NS, like is this thing possible to do.

I don't want to know that much in detail that I could make a SPY Radar..

First of all, I don't know anything significant about the SPY radar. Second of all I'm quite sure that it's classified -- No government is going to explain every single detail how their some of their most complex and sophisticated radar systems work!

KJ Lesnick

Demon Lord Razgriz said:
I just want some help with a ship design I'm doing for NS, like is this thing possible to do.

I don't want to know that much in detail that I could make a SPY Radar..

If you're doing it for NS, check out the NS Draftroom or pop onto irc.esper.net/#nsarms (#draftroom is festering hole). Juumanistra and Spizania are probably the best guys to ask about it. You'll also want to narrow down the questions somewhat and you could probably find most of the answers you are looking for here.

That site any good? At a quick glance it looks like mainly fantasy stuff. ???

I wonder what exactly do you want to know 'in depth' about AN/SPY-1 for an fanart project?

sferrin said:
That site any good? At a quick glance it looks like mainly fantasy stuff. ???

Which is what he's doing. He said he's designing a ship for Nationstates, NSD is a player forum for critique and review of said designs (within the realms of ability of course, I doubt any of it would actually work, but its for the purpose of roleplay anyhow).

I don't go to the NSDraftroom due to the fact that those that are there to help tend to be extremely rude if the idea is even just a bit off(as in not a normal design). :mad:

Anyway, I'll just put my question here, just don't start poking fun at me. I do this for fun, not seriousness.

Is it possible to make the SPY-1 Radar antennia waterproof & harden enough to be put on a specially built submarine conning tower and survive? And does it have to be square-ish like on the Ticos?

Here's the sub...

Attachments

• Tatum II Class SSCGN.PNG
    Tatum II Class SSCGN.PNG
    31.3 KB · Views: 52
It depends on how deep you want to dive - for relatively shallow submergence, one could imagine a fibreglass section of pressure hull. However, this would have some effect on radar performance, as the current equipment and control electronics will probably be optimised for thinner protection from the elements. The arrays themselves would need to be flat - although the covers could be streamlined.

TBH a better approach would probably be to stick the radar on a mast and extend it when surfaced - IIRC Oscar and Echo / Juliet cruise missile submarines have quite large electronics gear crammed into the sail. You'd need a different radar if there were less faces, though.

RP1

Sounds like a WHIF sort of site looking it over superficially. I actually joined the site although I don't know how much I'll like the site actually.

KJ Lesnick