Spec F.37.35

The design for this spec that interests me is the Supermarine Type 313 - two Goshawk apparently giving 390mph at 15,000ft, 7.5 minutes to 20,000ft and a ceiling of 34,000ft, although I am a bit suspicious of those figures.

What really interests me is the design could apparently house 4 x 500lb bombs in the fuselage behind the pilot. A second crewman would be added and two of the 20mm cannon removed and max weight increased from 8,200lb to 10,700lb. (The Whirlwind’s max weight was 10,377lb).

With a wingspan of 48ft, a length of 37ft and wing area 325 square foot, this makes the Type 313 bigger than the Merlin/Taurus engined Types 324 (and the similar 325, 326 and 327) so replacing the Goshawks with Merlins or Taurus shouldn't be too much of a problem in terms of space.

I really like the SM Type 313 myself.

I have a profile started already for the next set of British WW2 secret projects.

If the twin Merlin version would have been viable, it would make for an interesting profile.

Many thanks
Peter
;D

Flitzer said:
I have a profile started already for the next set of British WW2 secret projects.
Peter:

What is the next set going to be about? I have all of them and really enjoy reading about them.

Loren

Hi Loren
The next set I am currently doing is on British WW2 secret projects and the Type 313 is one of them.

I have 3 aircraft nearly done so far.

Many thanks
Peter
;D

Hawker's tender to the F.37/35 specification was this Hurricane derivative (source: Hawker Aircraft since 1920, Putnam):

Attachments

• F.37~35 (project, 1936).gif
    F.37~35 (project, 1936).gif
    121.5 KB · Views: 438
Ironic that the Hurricane specified to F.37/35 - Day/night fighter..

..was rejected in favour of the W. Whirlwind as cannon armed contender,
- to be revisited as Hawker project P.1002 (developed as Mk IIC),
& hurriedly put in to service as a prototype in the B.o.B., - while the W.W. was kept out..

Ironic that the Hurricane specified to F.37/35 - Day/night fighter..

..was rejected in favour of the W. Whirlwind as cannon armed contender,
- to be revisited as Hawker project P.1002 (developed as Mk IIC),
& hurriedly put in to service as a prototype in the B.o.B., - while the W.W. was kept out..
The F.37/35 proposal was issued to install four 20 mm wing-mounted Oerlikon FF cannons in the Hurricane Mk.I (V7360) the prototype was flight tested at Langley in July 1940, but the project was rejected on 23 April 1936 in favour of the Westland Whirlwind, a twin engine fighter faster than the Spitfire Mk.II, Hurricane Mk.I and Bf 109 E at medium and low level, without adaptation problems to the early Hispano Mk.I drum feed version, with 60-rounds magazine.

Not at all, Piper. That was the first thing that came to my mind when I first saw the drawing.

AlanG