SpaceX (general discussion)

I sincerely hope the two recent FAA caused scrubs were not politically motivated; a new administration's veiled support of K-Street, putting the 'new kid on the block' on notice. Maybe the 'big-guy' wants some kick-back? The Greenies are already working to shut the ship-yard down.

I sincerely hope the two recent FAA caused scrubs were not politically motivated; a new administration's veiled support of K-Street, putting the 'new kid on the block' on notice. Maybe the 'big-guy' wants some kick-back? The Greenies are already working to shut the ship-yard down.
The Verge reporting on this is: the SN8 flight violated the FAA-approved flight parameters in some way. This isn't completely shocking given that it flew a dramatically different flight profile than was expected (outside SpaceX) before the launch. The violation triggered an investigation, as well as extra scrutiny for the SN9 flight. It seems that extra scrutiny is delaying the launch, with the Raptor swap possibly specific sticking point at this time.

It should be noted the FAA could have been putting out press releases blasting SpaceX for the violation or for seeming to play chicken with the launch approval process this past week, but is remaining quite reserved with their statements. The agency may be holding them up, and we may disagree with the decisions which have lead to this situation, but they don't appear to be doing it for any nefarious reasons. As Elon himself has indicated, this is a fast-moving project running into a regulatory environment that's not suited to it, becuase the regulations and the office were designed for conventional expendable vehicles developed in more conservative programs.

None of that is unusual or conspiratorial, and most of it predates the current administration. If you want to be mad at politicians be my guest, but note that the most powerful guardian of SLS is still the senior senator from Alabama, and the current head of the FAA took office in August of 2019.

Total bullshit... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Presumably they are also petitioning for SN10 clearance in the near future as well, if they put it up on the pad. That can't be an especially safe way to store that...

There have been some articles indicating that the FAA thought the SN8 test violated their clearance - was this based on the maneuvers it performed? Was there an engine swap, like with SN9?

Presumably they are also petitioning for SN10 clearance in the near future as well, if they put it up on the pad. That can't be an especially safe way to store that...

There have been some articles indicating that the FAA thought the SN8 test violated their clearance - was this based on the maneuvers it performed? Was there an engine swap, like with SN9?
Lots of speculation. No facts presented.

The manoeuvre and belly glide descent was expressed as the source of concerns. My understanding was that if the controls system fails, an uncontrolled descent could results in a glide path of an even considerably larger amplitude than the transition occurred at a higher altitude, putting large area at risk.

You'd say that blowing up the thing would solve that problem but a failure of a pyrotechnic system might have to be envisioned too.

A solution would be to ask the Navy or AF to assist in containing the eventuality of such problem.

SpaceX Boca Chica is a busy place!!

I'm probably wrong but: what if the FAA stopped last weeks launch because Bluto (the big crane) was, in their opinion to close to the launch? It looks like they are about to move it out of the way, pre-launch.

What if they have put SN10 on the pad as a test to see how much it gets damaged by SN9 launching? the design is constantly changing and SN10 could be surplus if this launch goes well?

Who knows.

View: https://twitter.com/wapodavenport/status/1356566130056433664?

View: https://twitter.com/nextspaceflight/status/1356589939501142017

Statement from an FAA spokesperson: The FAA determined late Monday (Feb.1 ) that SpaceX complies with all safety and related federal regulations and is authorized to conduct Starship SN9 flight operations in accordance with its launch license.

Reason for the delay

View: https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1356590408579579910?

"Prior to the Starship SN8 test launch in December 2020, SpaceX sought a waiver to exceed the maximum public risk allowed by federal safety regulations. After the FAA denied the request, SpaceX proceeded with the flight. As a result of this non-compliance, the FAA required SpaceX to conduct an investigation of the incident. All testing that could affect public safety at the Boca Chica, Texas, launch site was suspended until the investigation was completed and the FM approved the company's corrective actions to protect public safety. The corrective actions arising from the SN8 incident are incorporated into the SN9 launch license."

ORC text for "

Reason for the delay

"Prior to the Starship SN8 test launch in December 2020, SpaceX sought a waiver to exceed the maximum public risk allowed by federal safety regulations. After the FAA denied the request, SpaceX proceeded with the flight. As a result of this non-compliance, the FAA required SpaceX to conduct an investigation of the incident. All testing that could affect public safety at the Boca Chica, Texas, launch site was suspended until the investigation was completed and the FM approved the company's corrective actions to protect public safety. The corrective actions arising from the SN8 incident are incorporated into the SN9 launch license."

ORC text for "
They launched out of compliance and the FAA let them off with a self-investigation, and the approval process only ultimately delayed them for a week. As far as secret greenie deep state plots to destroy SpaceX go, this was pretty mild.

Reason for the delay

ORC text for "
They launched out of compliance and the FAA let them off with a self-investigation, and the approval process only ultimately delayed them for a week. As far as secret greenie deep state plots to destroy SpaceX go, this was pretty mild.

That's the FAA claim anyway. A shame they didn't give any specifics.

Reason for the delay

ORC text for "

They don’t owe anyone specifics in this particular case.

Reason for the delay

ORC text for "

They don’t owe anyone specifics in this particular case.

Did somebody say they did? I must have missed it.

It's dead, Jim. Close, but no cigar. Just an overblown lighter.

You're next, SN10. You've got a very spectacular demo of how NOT to land. Hope you learned that lesson, you dummy.

Next !

Another everlasting impact on landing site

need again allot concrete to fix the pad
what was concerning that SN09 were losting parts during re-ignition bevor RUD

Picture source Nasa space flight forum

Attachments

• sn09 second vor impact.jpeg
    sn09 second vor impact.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 21
  • sn09  impact.jpeg
    sn09 impact.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Just watched this, a shame but these are early prototypes, if you look at the Spacex stream on Youtube around the 1min 10 sec to 1 min 14 sec there is footage from inside the engine bay and there are flames coming from between the three raptors. Still amazed watching these things go from vertical to horizontal.

Just watched this, a shame but these are early prototypes, if you look at the Spacex stream on Youtube around the 1min 10 sec to 1 min 14 sec there is footage from inside the engine bay and there are flames coming from between the three raptors. Still amazed watching these things go from vertical to horizontal.
99% odds those flames are harmless. Just watched SN8 and there was tape or something flapping around in there between the engines. Maybe this time it caught on fire. SN8 burned off lots of fabric covering in its engine bay.

Has anyone noticed that SN11 is the last of this model of prototypes. They then skip to the revised SN15 model.
i think that SN10-11 will have simlear fait like SN8-9 a everlasting impact on landing pad

on SN15 it's build from the new Steel alloy but build 4 mm sheet thickness
while future models feature 3 mm sheet and modifications in Steel alloy
and i think that raptors get major revision and modifications also.

Has anyone noticed that SN11 is the last of this model of prototypes. They then skip to the revised SN15 model.
i think that SN10-11 will have simlear fait like SN8-9 a everlasting impact on landing pad

I wonder if this RUF is a Raptor or Starship issue this time.

RUD

There was a low-quality yellow flame hugging one of the engines -- seen on ascent, and during the poor start of the second engine during the landing transition. Methane leak? We saw something like this on one of the silo flights as well.

The transition back to vertical also seems to have happened much too late and in any case at a much lower altitude than with SN8.

Last edited:

RUD

RUF : Rapid, Unplanned Fuckup. ROTFL