SpaceX (general discussion)

Elon is a walking meme lol. (hopefully no explosions with 420 tons of force)

this whole project is an absolutely outrageous attempt in the first place. if this is successful. i will be thoroughly impressed.

Let's see if there no more delays and Starship gets launched this time round. Any word on launch times? Same as last time?

Well, it's already 4/20 Zulu, in case he wants to launch before ESG Hound wakes up the Po-po on court papers.

Looks like SpaceX are going to try and get Starship launched today at 13:45 British Summer Time, so let's see if things go smoothly this time round and that the launch is successful.

Right now it T -24 so by German time (15:04) it would be roughly at 15:28 or 13:28 UK time.

Well … separation didn‘t work?

launch was good, despite five raptor not working
and stage separation design not worked as planned

That need to be overworked

Next up Booster 8 or 9 and Starship 26 to launch site, for new Test

Starship flipped like 6 times and survived until flight termination blew it up. That alone is a significant feat.

At NASAspaceflight somebody used the word "immelmann" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immelmann_turn - made my day.

Congrats SpaceX ! Not everyday you see the world largest rocket ever doing aerobatics above 100 000 ft... !!!

Well that was interesting to watch, I wonder what the investigators will say once they get the flight data from SpaceX.

The BBC are saying that six of the engines failed at launch so maybe that has something to do with what happened to Starship, plus it had trouble separating from the booster rocket.

The BBC are saying that six of the engines failed at launch so maybe that has something to do with what happened to Starship, plus it had trouble separating from the booster rocket.
I think they were unrelated. I'd bet money some of those engine-outs were due to debris thrown up from the pad area. IIRC there was supposed to be a bit of a turn at separation to generate CF to aid in separation but maybe the engines out made it so they couldn't generate enough or it was too much and it couldn't let go. Will be interesting to know the details.

What surprised me most is the thing held together like a rock even during the tumble.
Had the same thought, even told my co-worker that the FTS was imminent when I saw the first rotation. Then I remembered that they planned to use rotation to separate the stage instead of a pusher. Not sure if that method’s been used on any large multistage rockets for stage separation before, but seems that the stack was designed to take it at least once.

Amazing failure! Congratulation to SpaceX for getting this off the pad.

image.png

There were 8 engines out, 1/4 of them, not all happening at the same time... let's hope they get that fixed, Raptor 2 was publicised as the "Reliable version". Hard to get rapid reuse or good performances with systematic engine out, especially when 2/3 of the center ones are out.

Though according to reports the N-1 explosion was the loudest and most powerful non-nuclear blast in the world to date. I am sure the Starship explosion will be in second place.

What surprised me most is the thing held together like a rock even during the tumble.

That was my thought. It seemed like there were several engine flame out at least, with something dumping raw propellant, and they a lot of yaw of the stack. It looked like a series of significant failures that the stack worked through surprisingly well until directional control was lost, and the fact there was no forced second stage separation is surprising. It seems like it could be a very robust system that accepts a lot of small scale failures if they work the kinks out.

Though according to reports the N-1 explosion was the loudest and most powerful non-nuclear blast in the world to date. I am sure the Starship explosion will be in second place.

Hazegrayart caught the force of the explosion... mightily.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hZ5Ep06TTk

I have downloaded that video (for private use only) and put Deep Purple "Smoke on the water" as background music. It is just a perfect soundtrack for it.

"Some stupid with a booster / burned the pad, to the ground" ROTFL

A true emotion!! In my opinion a "successfull failure" since it didn't destroyed the OLM launch pad (many bet on this...) and it survived through Max-Q and (against all odds) some unexpected acrobatic maneuvers.
I want to celebrate it in my very own way...

SpaceX SN24-BN7_02.jpg

Nowhere close. See Port Halifax, Port Chicago, etc. Several times the yield of the N1.