SpaceX (general discussion)

SpaceX on schedule with Starship testing
Actually, according to the schedule provided by the NASA OIG in November of 2021 Starship is already a year behind schedule.

page17image5452800.png

—as far as I'm aware no one has ever demonstrated on orbit cryogenic propellant transfer.
MSFC is no longer rebuilding—they’re reloading…next core to be sent to Florida in March. People think Alabamans live in the past with Bear Bryant and Saturns—but we came back with Saban and SLS. Yes…both of them cost a lot of money—but both execute and do it the right way.

Musk reminds me of Auburn’s Gus Malzahn these days…pulling stunts and trick plays.

Imagine that hole not being in Soyuz—but tanker Starship.

Do your propellant handing on the ground—and get rid of is as quick as you can…trading liquids for inertia.

Dare a meteoroid to make THAT leak.

I don’t think Starship is super behind schedule rather realistically behind schedule, as when reality hits grand aspirations.

Militarized Dragon to deliver men and supplies around the world concept:

Have these tests already begun?

Militarized Dragon to deliver men and supplies around the world concept:

Have these tests already begun?
This has been known about for a while it is reference to Starship and not Dragon. No tests have begun because Starship is still in its development stage.

Hard to grasp the fact that the Falcon 9 (across many different variants) launched so much since 2010: 12 years and something.

Ariane 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 family took 1979 to 2003 to launch 144 rockets - 24 years. With 7 failures: in 1980, 1982, 1985-86 back to back (with Miterrand watching the September 1985 failure - outch it hurt soooo much !), 1990 stupid cloth of doom, and back-to-back in 1994: January & December. Total 7 failures: one pogo destructive vibration in that May 1980 second flight; the utterly silly cloth in February 1990 - and all other five traced to the HM-7 stage 3 and its HM-10 engine: which was really a tricky bastard all the way from 1982 to 1994.
(blatant self promotion, fully assumed - https://www.thespacereview.com/article/4085/1 It was a very funny piece to write, the absurdities are pretty baffling, notably the very unfortunate japanese !)

Shuttle took 1981 to 2011 to launch 135 times - 30 years. With two horrible failures along the way and 14 astronauts dead.

And SpaceX is only beginning !

Shuttle took 1981 to 2011 to launch 135 times - 30 years. With two horrible failures along the way and 14 astronauts dead.

And I remember both the Challenger and Columbia disasters as if it were yesterday. But the Columbia disaster was the worst one for me as I can remember the first flight back in 1981.

Can't remember Challenger as I was merely 3.5 years old. And since I wasn't a US kid nor even at school, I mercifully escaped that horror: the perfect trauma of a full and entire generation of kids, talk about a perfect media shitstorm orchestrated by NASA against their will. I mean, had the previous Shuttle flight exploded with that fucking politician onboard, at least the kids wouldn't be watching live with their teachers at school. But no: it had to be Challenger with Christa McAuliffe onboard, the good girl everybody liked. Just to traumatize all the poor kids. Including Punky Brewster, who needed Buzz Aldrin to heal the pain.
(imagine: you and your sister are watching on of those syndicated american shows on french TV - and all of sudden, boom - you realize it is talking about the Challenger disaster. WTF ??!!)

Same for Chernobyl, can't remember the horror live.

By 1988-89 however I was just old enough to be thoroughly traumatized by these two disaster striking visual sights, printed in countless magazines, old and new
- Chernobyl red-and-white smoke stack standing over the blackened nuclear inferno of the eviscerated reactor
- Challenger Y-shaped cloud of hypergolics and hydrolox propellants and debris. As seen from the weird angles of The Cape ground tracking cameras it just made no sense for a 7-year old.

Those two striking pictures burned into my young mind and truly scared the shit out of me for the next decade.

Thinking about it, I was lucky enough - as a young aviation buff - to remain blissfully unaware of a third visual horror (late August 1988): the Ramstein disaster Frecce Tricolori Aermacchis slamming into each others - and then crashing into the crowd below, killing 70 poor souls - burned to cinder.
Everybody had cameras pointed at the italian acrobatic team climactic moment - and everybody got instead a triple explosion with debris flying around plus yellow flames. Plus three dead pilots - and the worst was to come.

Geez, I was lucky enough to be blissfully unaware of that abomination until the Internet came a decade later.

Back to SpaceX...

Last edited:
I remember the Apollo and Skylab life on TV
i remember Challenger, lucky i not saw this launch on TV, and face the issue of Chernobyl...

tenor.gif

The Fifth launch of Falcon Heavy was beautiful event, second stage is in orbit with two USSF sat on board.

That wall of fire FH produced-I wish a drone had flew into that-like that volcano footage recently.

Progress at KSC
A Barge arrived from Texas, offloaded were Equipment and one booster stand.
Then barge was filled with seven tanks and tubes looking part of a deluge system
now pulled out KSC direction Texas
i think that third tower build in KSC will travel also to Texas.
At Starbase behind First launch tower the ground work progress

FnF0nFQXgAApkZ9

And I remember both the Challenger and Columbia disasters as if it were yesterday. But the Columbia disaster was the worst one for me as I can remember the first flight back in 1981.
That’s why I wanted a Buran shuttle 2.
No SRBs…no oxygen ramp…ride heads up.

We’ll see if Starship can do better.
No glider that.

No glider that.

And Starship has yet to fly so there is a lot of unanswered questions about its true capabilities.

No glider that.

And Starship has yet to fly so there is a lot of unanswered questions about its true capabilities.
One thing is for certain, SpaceX will rapidly iterate to improve its capabilities.

SpaceX conduct full Propellant loading test on Starship/Superheavy
seems that it fill with 5000 ton !

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-23 um 22.06.36.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2023-01-23 um 22.06.36.png
    454.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
fully loaded Starship/Superheavy around 5500 metric tons weight
Nearly there. If they can get this system working reliably it's going to change our world (and probably several others). Has it been less than a decade?

Last edited:
Notice these updates now come from Space X corporate Twitter account:

Starship completed its first full flight-like wet dress rehearsal at Starbase today. This was the first time an integrated Ship and Booster were fully loaded with more than 10 million pounds of propellant

Today’s test will help verify a full launch countdown sequence, as well as the performance of Starship and the orbital pad for flight-like operations

View: https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1617676719103836164

No glider that.
Buran Shuttle 2 is a worse idea. It wouldn't change anything. Just make the launches more expensive by throwing the engines away
and it does not get rid of the oxygen ramp.

No big engines on the orbiter means the LOX line is on the other side of the stack-far from the orbiter.

The LM did that decades ago repeatedly with crews onboard, as did numerous uncrewed lunar and planetary probes, as well as the DC-X reusable demonstrator (and note that I deliberately don't include DC-XA as an example...).

Last edited:
The LM did that decades ago repeatedly with crews onboard, as did numerous uncrewed lunar and planetary probes, as well as the DC-X reusable demonstrator (and note that I deliberately don't include DC-XA as an example...).
Source? I want to read into it
I recommend a simple google search using the terms "vertical rocket landing".