Spaceplane MiG-21

Matej said:
Is it only my idea or MiG-21 will never die? :D

http://www.x-rocket.com/archangel.htm

This was one of the less-impressive private rocket companies to appear in the late 1990's. All they ever seemed to have was some poorly-photoshopped pics of a Mig.

No, the MiG-21 will never die. Yes, some people should be restricted from getting within 10 miles of Photoshop.

OK, reentry? Does that not require exotic tiling or materials for the aircraft? How can an aircraft designed for use atmospherically have a chance at reentry? This looks like a scam to me in all sincerity.

Yes, I get that this is old, the wayback machine was the clincher. I am just curious is all.

OK, reentry? Does that not require exotic tiling or materials for the aircraft? How can an aircraft designed for use atmospherically have a chance at reentry? This looks like a scam to me in all sincerity.

Yes, I get that this is old, the wayback machine was the clincher. I am just curious is all.

This design was supposed to peak out just under 200,000 feet. The Virgin Galactic Spaceship Two hits around 264,000 and doesn't require a great deal of thermal protection. Suborbital hops to just at or below the mesosphere don't require the sorts of velocities that produce dramatic heating on descent/reentry.

"In 2002, X-Rocket LLC worked with XCOR Aerospace to study the concept of an aerospace trainer derived from the Russian MiG-21UM supersonic fighter-trainer. Unlike the NF-104, the MiG-21 derivative (called Archangel) would be a completely rocket-powered vehicle. The 13,000-pound-thrust turbojet would be replaced by four 5,000-pound-thrust XCOR rocket engines, allowing zoom climbs to 160,000 feet.
The Archangel design incorporated substantial improvements over the NF-104. XCOR’s liquid-oxygen/kerosene rocket engines do not require constant maintenance, like the NF-104 engine, nor are they prone to explode. The MiG-21UM airframe is a two-seater, allowing an experienced instructor to train students who are not top military pilots. The airframe has a conventional tail, so is not subject to the pitch-up problem that plagued the F-104, and it has excellent spin recovery characteristics.

A feasibility study showed that the Archangel development could be completed with minimal risk. The required modifications to the airframe were extensive, however, and it was unclear whether the design actually provided a cost advantage compared new airframe from scratch. As a result, X-Rocket elected not to pursue development."

No pictures of the project itself, only the one photo of the support MiG-UM.

This design was supposed to peak out just under 200,000 feet. The Virgin Galactic Spaceship Two hits around 264,000 and doesn't require a great deal of thermal protection. Suborbital hops to just at or below the mesosphere don't require the sorts of velocities that produce dramatic heating on descent/reentry.

Thank you.