• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Mikoyan Design Bureau MiG-21 and MiG-23 questions please?

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G'day all

This Easter weekend, I've been going through some old magazine collections.

Whilst flicking through Airplane series Part 5, (1990) which principly covers the Mikoyan MiG-23 'Flogger', I couldn't help notice:
-"Mikoyan studied but never flew a 'swing-wing' MiG-21"

-"The MiG-23's engine has already been mentioned, and many versions of MiG-23 and MiG-27 have provision for assisted take-off booster rockets to be attached on each side of the rear fuselage"

(Source: Mikoyan MiG-23 'Flogger'. Airplane Part 5, 1990. ORBIS)

I can't say I've ever seen anything to do with either this 'studied swing-wing MiG-21', nor the MiG-23 fitted with 'assisted take-off booster rockets'
statements.
Has anyone got any drawings or Mikoyan Design Bureau (OKB) models of these swing-wing MiG-21's or pictures of a MiG-23 fitted with or taking off with these assisted take-off booster rockets?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Pioneer

Last edited:

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They would have to exist in order to show you those.

The "booster rockets" was a misintepretation of the rear fuselage pylon attachments on the MiG-23BN/-27 probably by Bill Gunston (he repeats it in several publications). No idea where the swing wing MiG-21 idea comes from.

Seriously, it's a partwork by Aerospace Publishing, using updated content from their earlier History of Avation (1982-85) and Warplane (1985-88) partworks. I wouldn't take anything on Soviet aircraft very seriously, it predates any access to real sources, and is a "design-to-cost" product. I worked there for a couple of weeks work experience, World Air Power Journal was their "serious effort" publication.

Last edited:

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
They would have to exist in order to show you those.

The "booster rockets" was a misintepretation of the rear fuselage pylon attachments on the MiG-23BN/-27 probably by Bill Gunston (he repeats it in several publications). No idea where the swing wing MiG-21 idea comes from.

Seriously, it's a partwork by Aerospace Publishing, using updated content from their earlier History of Avation (1982-85) and Warplane (1985-88) partworks. I wouldn't take anything on Soviet aircraft very seriously, it predates any access to real sources, and is a "design-to-cost" product. I worked there for a couple of weeks work experience, World Air Power Journal was their "serious effort" publication.
Thanks for your insight Paul.
I thought I should have seen something along the lines of infomation on a 'swing-wing' MiG-21 study on this informative forum sometime ago, if such a design study existed.

Regards
Pioneer

Wyvern

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Maybe this isn't related to the topic, but, would a swing-wing MiG-21 be possible? I highly doubt it, due to the MiG-21's relatively small airframe, the hinge might not fit, but, would it work?