• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Soviet student/universities projects (MAI, KhAI, etc.)

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Hi! MAI-63 and MAI-68.

MAI-63.

MAI-68.

Attachments

Avimimus

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
hesham said:
Link is down, so Archive.org: http://web.archive.org/web/20170204...skokhozyaistvennogo-samoleta-mai-grach-4-sssr

Some interesting information... apparently its structural weight was supposed to be 44% of its takeoff weight?

It seems to have also had an autopilot and possibly even fly-by-wire controls?

Btw. Does anyone have a more detailed 3-view (or larger version of the image Hesham posted)? I'm trying to work out some of the aerodynamic characteristics - but without being able to figure out more about the airfoil, wing incidence, and other details of the layout it is hard to do. A higher resolution image would help somewhat.

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi Avimimus,

I think I saw 3-view to it on Internet,but where ?.

Avimimus

Reaction score
hesham said:
Hi Avimimus,

I think I saw 3-view to it on Internet,but where ?.
The upper right hand corner of the image you posted has one. It is just low detail. Any other leads appreciated though (or a higher resolution verison).

Richard N

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
The original MAI Grach-4 illustration link worked for me and I found that if you opened the illustration in a new window, you got a 1680 X 1085 large image to work with. I enlarged it on my screen and took screen snips of the drawings and have attached them.

I am also interested in the aerodynamic characteristics of the Grach-4 configuration. I build and fly flying wing models and am curious about how the downward shaped multi-segment elevator works. In most tailless aircraft, there is some part of the rear part of the wing that imparts a downward force, like a conventional horizontal tail, to balance the tendency of the forward part of the wing to pitch down.
The Grach-4 seems to have a downward shaped surface that would seem to give an upload instead of a download and would be the opposite of what works on my flying wing models. The elevator is also multi segmented and I was wondering if in level flight the segments are parallel to the flight path or slightly up to create a balancing download force.

I look forward to seeing the results of your analysis.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Amazing find,

thank you my dear Richard N.

youROKer

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
MAI, 1958.
1. Flying jeep. Weight 1200 kilograms.
2. Heavy flying platform. Weight of transported cargo - 40 tons.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
borovik said:
couple of flying platforms developed under the leadership of I.Bratukhin
Reply #217 http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,3556.210.html
Thank you my dear Borovik,I remembered that I saw them before,but I didn't know
where.

flateric

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
OSKBES MAI design bureau 6-seat Aviatika-950 bizjet project - ancestor of Foton design, 1994-1995.
Design by Zhidovecky, Khvan and Goryunov.

Attachments

hesham

Reaction score
Wow,amazing find my dear Flateric.

paralay

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
paralay.world
flateric said:
OSKBES MAI design bureau 6-seat Aviatika-950 bizjet project - ancestor of Foton design, 1994-1995.
The company Aviatika had a project with different nose pieces, including for the military. Maybe this is it?

Avimimus

Reaction score
flateric said:
You mention this as an ancestor of Foton. Out of curiosity... did it have boundary layer control at this stage in the program?

hesham

Reaction score
From L+K 5/1974,

a 3-view to Riga-50M.

Attachments

Cy-27

Reaction score
In 1994 the MAI published a book by J V Makarov called "Летательные аппараты МАИ " (ISBN 5-7035-0161-X). The Russian language book covered the history (aircraft engine powered boats, gliders, aircraft, submersibles, early UAV's and other equipment) from the MAI.

At the back of this, now dated, book were tables of equipment worked on and produced by the Institute. Many of the aircraft were experimental one-offs.

The first few tables covered aircraft, helicopters and gliders and are attached.

Attachments