Soviet Space Propaganda Posters, 1958-1963

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
Retronaut.co just put up a beautiful collection of Soviet space propaganda posters from 1958-1963; worth checking out if you are a fan of vintage space art!

Attachments

• Glory-to-the-conquerors-of-the-universe-520x964.jpg
    Glory-to-the-conquerors-of-the-universe-520x964.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 307
Thank you for this. I love propaganda art almost as much as I love Soviet Realist/Impressionist art.

Updated link: http://www.retronaut.com/2013/08/soviet-space-propaganda-posters/

I can't say, if this is really the right topic, but this screenshot shows a twin fuselage aircraft launching a rocket with a satellite "Sputnik II", which reminds me of a Virgin mothership from today.
“Russians revel secrets of “Sputnik” launching. Scenes from latest Soviet film…

(original 1957 UK press photo)

Immediately after the announcement of the launching of “Sputnik II” - the Russians released a news film - purporting to reveal the secrets of the launching of their satellites. Mr. Jacob Malik, the Russian Ambassador told a London audience - that the launching of the second satellite - made the film “completely obsolete”.
Keystone photo shows three scenes of the launching:

Bottom: A jet style plane carrying rocket inside with “Sputnik” enclosed.

Centre: When the rocket has been discharged from the jet-like plane.

Top: The rocket inside which “Sputnik” is enclosed - after having been discharged. The rocket is seen at the stage when tail is dropped and front part continuing with the satellite.”
Although I often retain the original textual & grammatical ‘idiosyncrasies’ - not this time - it was like nails on a chalkboard, so it’s cleaned up a little.
Along with the train wreck write-up, I think something must’ve gotten lost in translation as well. Even the 1957 Soviet propaganda machine would’ve known claiming this as the current “Sputnik” launch vehicle, would’ve been totally ludicrous. The fact it’s animation suggests that it was something that was envisioned, or supposedly “planned”.

Mild waviness on either side of the photograph due to the copious military-grade adhesive used to affix the clipping.
View: https://flic.kr/p/2mhkkWj