Soviet nuclear-powered guided missile cruiser

NilsD

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Found in an old issue of Scale Ship Modeller in an ad for Warship International.

Attachments

• kirov_impression.jpg
    kirov_impression.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 435
The bottom one is clearly the Kirov class BCGN but the top blurry drawing looks like a mix of Slava, Moskva, Sovernemiy mix on a Kirov hull

Yes the drawing is strange isn't it. I can make out SS-N-12 launchers clearly modelled on the Kiev. The superstructure appears to be mix of Kiev and Moskva, with Kresta-style missile launchers under wide bridge wings.

Well there are surely multiple preliminaries were considered for the Kirovs but none of them looks like this one.
One for example is an enlarged and improved Slava:
1144_14.gif

While another looks closer to the Kirov actually finished but this is more AA oriented:
1144_15.gif

But I think it is more like an artist or designer mis interpretation of at that time designs (especially Moskva and Kiev classes) and what few info available at that time about the Kirov.
Or it could be a forgotten preliminary variant not pursued.

I've cleared the upper part a bit:
1068393807kirov_impression_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

That second one you posted, is that a real design? Do you have a top view of it?

NilsD said:
That second one you posted, is that a real design? Do you have a top view of it?

Sadly no. I've asked my Russian friend about your picture and while he said it is awesome he agrees with me that it is a most likely mis interpretation of scarce information about the class. Like how the USN thought that the British Nelson class BB's aft would look like a large seaplane launching catapult area.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8284.msg73363.html#msg73363

This thread on the 1971 FUGAS project might be of interest