South African XPTI Puma Helicopter

S

STINGRAY

IN AN OLD "INTERNATIONAL COMBAT ARMS" MAGAZINE, I FOUND A PICTURE OF A PUMA XPTI HELICOPTER WITH ARMAMENT, SEEN ALSO ON THE NEW PUMA SOCAT, AND A RE-FUELING PROBE. THAT WAS THE LAST PICTURE OR TEXT I HAVE SEEN OF THIS HELICOPTER. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME MORE INTEL HERE? THANKS ;D!

Try www.saairforce.co.za/forum/. There might be some info on it. There's also a limited print run of a book going around that might have info on it - "Those who had the power". It's about the 80's government's classified arms projects including the naval projects, the Carver, etc. A bit difficult to find though, I've been trying for 6 months now.

THANKS FOR THE SOURCE! NOW I KNOW WHAT THE PUMA XPTI IS. IT WAS BASICLY A ROOIVALK PROTOTYPE FOR THE RAF. HERE IS THE INFO I FOUND.

the prototype for some of the weapons systems employed on the Rooivalk was the XTP-1 Beta, which was essentially a Puma with armament wings added and electro-optical sighting and targetting equipment on the nose. Once again, some people may have seen this, a Puma involved in the developmental phase of the Rooivalk, and deduced more from it then there really was.

THE ONLY THING DIFFERENT ABOUT THE PICTURE I SAW IS THAT THE NOSE DID NOT HAVE ANYTHING BUT A RE-FUELING PROBE AND A FEW ANTENNAE.

Sorry about that. I will keep that in mind. Thanks!

I found some pictures on the internet of the armed Puma types:

1: Puma SOCAT

2: Puma XTP-1 Beta made from Oryx

The pictures still don't illustrate what I saw in the "International Combat Arms" magazine though. :(

Attachments

• IAR.330 Puma SOCAT.jpg
    IAR.330 Puma SOCAT.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 453
  • Puma XTP-1 Beta Oryx.jpg
    Puma XTP-1 Beta Oryx.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 459
Stingray, is this what you are looking for? I have also seen a more basic config with nose probe. There were several different variants from low-end to high-end capabilities.

Atlas XTP-1

Attachments

• atlasxtp1pumasaaf189pesp2.jpg
    atlasxtp1pumasaaf189pesp2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 478
If only the ALAT had funds to upgrade its derelicted Pumas to such a combat standard!!!!

Stingray, is this what you are looking for? I have also seen a more basic config with nose probe. There were several different variants from low-end to high-end capabilities.

Atlas XTP-1

Sorry but thats not it. Good pic though. ;D

The one I saw had a re-fueling probe under the nose, on the left I think. The armament was also like that on the Mil Mi-24.

Here it is. ;D

And I'm starting to think thats a data probe, not a re-fuelling probe.

http://sites.google.com/site/stingrayslistofrotorcraft/denel-xtp-1-beta

Attachments

• Denel XPT-1 Beta.jpg
    Denel XPT-1 Beta.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 368
Some scans from South African Arms and Armour by Helmoed Romer-Hetman, circa 1987.

Attachments

• Scanxtp1c.JPG
    Scanxtp1c.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Scanxtp1b.JPG
    Scanxtp1b.JPG
    165.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Scanxtp1a.JPG
    Scanxtp1a.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 317
another pic of an AAM firing test.

Attachments

• Scanxtp1.JPG
    Scanxtp1.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 106
One more picture I found in my library.

Attachments

• Scanxtp1001.JPG
    Scanxtp1001.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 129
Some more.

It seems there were 3 or 4 different versions or variants of the XTP.

Here is one of them. It has different weapons pylons/stations than the ones above, and a different nose/sensors.

Some variants have the ventral 20mm cannon, some don't.

Attachments

• xtpmod1copysm.jpg
    xtpmod1copysm.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 93
  • xtpmod2copysm.jpg
    xtpmod2copysm.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 88
  • xtpmod3copysm.jpg
    xtpmod3copysm.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 84
Back
Top Bottom