South African small to medium calibre weapon prototypes, concepts, projects etc.

So just to be sure, that is the ZA-35 based design that formed the basis of the PZA Loara?

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Question: Does anyone have information about the Vektor/Denel R4 Tactical family of rifles?

Like, better pictures and infographics compared to these links:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/88/f0/86/88f086dbecf4a1388d6b1a21db2660cc.jpg

And how would this upgrade compare with the Galil ACE family?

(Reposted from https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/th...rojects-concepts-etc.9088/page-48#post-473173)

I think the primary aim of the Ace was to lighten it, with a secondary aim of having an alternate version that takes STANAG magazines.
The standard Galil and R4 has a solid, strong, milled steel lower receiver.
The ACE has a mixed material receiver.
When Israel were given M16/M4 rifles cheaply, the infantry liked it as it was lighter. 25% if I recall.
The South African mods do not lighten the R4.
But from a personal viewpoint, the R4 or Galil are not that heavy.
And it is possibly THE most reliable rifle I have ever shot.
I suspect price was the real driver behind the adoption of the M16/M4 for Israel.
My opinion.

Edit: Also, call me old fashioned, but I believe a standard infantry rifle should be built simply, and strongly, and go bang every time you want it to. Especially in an African context. The old saying that a troop of soldiers will break anything they get their hands on, is true in my experience. Even an anvil would be broken within a matter of days.

Last edited:
Does anyone have better pictures for this upgraded rifles, alongside a brochure or infographics detailing the changes made?

Does anyone have better pictures for this upgraded rifles, alongside a brochure or infographics detailing the changes made?
Unfortunately not, but to me it looks like anything your standard IPSC shooter could throw together, the stock looks FAB defence-ish and the handrail looks similar to the UTG styled ones we can source locally.Optics could be anything that looks like a Trijicon.

Some CSIR slides showing the R-4 development, upgrades and potential upgrades. I enjoyed that they showed the true Galil/R-4 linage in the first slide.
The CSIR "upgrades" looks to me like something a gamer drew up to be honest, or worse,some labrat that hasn't spent anytime behind a rifle(ever).

Grenade launchers and collapsible stocks as depicted,just don't go together.
What ever happened to cheekweld and other basics of shooting, etc?

In my opnion I have seen better and more practical solutions evolve and come from private guys who actually shoot, both individual and small outfits like eg those in the pictures from VNI.

He is just really beginning to explore the market but already invokes more confidence than the state funded whatever you want to call the CSIR guys. (I own and shoot a LM5 amongst other types for IPSC.)

Attachments

• lm 20201018-132744.jpg
    lm 20201018-132744.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 158
  • lm 20201127-134540.jpg
    lm 20201127-134540.jpg
    840.8 KB · Views: 108
  • lm 20201127-134603.jpg
    lm 20201127-134603.jpg
    843.7 KB · Views: 101
  • lm FDVR8b2.jpg
    lm FDVR8b2.jpg
    710.9 KB · Views: 104
  • bca3ee06f92ab0a3745ccf51834c8284.jpg
    bca3ee06f92ab0a3745ccf51834c8284.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    733.2 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I originally posted this a few years back in the SA vehicles forum - it belongs better here.

Developed in the early 1980's - it was a self forming fragmentation warhead, now just adapted to being an off route intelligent mine. The brochure describes the rest.

Attachments

• IHM-01.jpg
    IHM-01.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IHM-02.jpg
    IHM-02.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 149
Regarding Truvelo, from back in late September:

RDM's latest version of their airburst 40mm grenade - not yet in production as far as I'm aware..

Attachments

• 40mm Airburst.jpg
    40mm Airburst.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 38
A piece on mortar development taken from a recent article on RDM's ramjet 155mm artillery development - the interesting part for me was the Northrop Grumman collaberation.

Rocket technology is also making its way into RDM’s mortar range. Few countries manufacture rocket-assisted mortars, some being China, Serbia, South Korea and Iran, but now RDM has a rocket-assisted 120 mm mortar that extends range to 15 km, although RDM hopes to increase range to 20 km. The company’s mortar range covers 60, 81 and 120 mm rounds.

Although RDM prides itself on range, lethality and accuracy, it says it is good at lethality and range with its mortars but not precision. However, it is collaborating with Northrop Grumman to create a highly accurate 120 mm ‘sniper mortar’.

Last edited: