South African Radar & EW and Communications Projects

kaiserbill

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Re: South African Radar & EW Projects

stealthflanker said:
Has South Africa every try to make fighter aircraft radar ?

Seeing advanced projects like Carver got me thinking of that.
There was some mention in Those Who Had The Power of a Project Mecanno that was to possibly produce a multimode fighter radar.
I seem to recall it lead (after Carver cancellation) to a ground based demonstrator or spin-off.

Graugrun

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score
Re: South African Radar & EW Projects

I had not been aware of this one before - apparently called "Eekhoring" - Radar, Troop Fire Control Post (FCP), was used with 23mm Bosvark AAA system. (taken from a recent FB post).

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score
Here's an interesting brochure from the CSIR on our SAR radar development - I collected it at AAD 2018.

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score
Here's a flyer relating to the Meerkat radar and surveillance system (as per my post #33 above) - unfortunately, apart from a nice picture of the system, it gives very little in terms of detailed info/specs.

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score
Quite a nice article from the CSIR's internal Dossier - it covers South African radar involvement and development from the start of World War 2. While it does not go into as much detail on some of the project as I would have liked, it certainly gives some good clarification, correct chronological sequence and some interesting tid bits. I found it interesting that it states that SAR radar development has been re-activated, initially for use on UAV's and later for use on satellites. Note it's dated 2016

Attachments