Hello everyone. Question: Does anyone have information about the Vektor/Denel R4 Tactical family of rifles?

Like, better pictures and infographics compared to these links:

And how would this upgrade compare with the Galil ACE family?

It's my understanding that this LMT development was commissioned by the O'Gara-Hess & Eisenhardt company of the USA to fulfill new contracts that they had received from the US Army (this would be O'Gara-Hess & Eisenhardt's updated and improved Humvee mine protection kit, delivered to the US military from 2005 onwards)

Attachments

• July 2006-06.jpg
    July 2006-06.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 240
Not sure if this has been posted here before, but someone I know posted this on a server I'm in, and I thought it worthwhile to post it here. He said it was the ZT-35A, though I do doubt it, as it looks to me like a standard Rooikat turret with a ZT-3 Ingwe ATGM launcher on top. Only one was ever built. What was its purpose, and why did development stop at the prototype stage?

Attachments

• Rooikat ZT-35A.jpg
    Rooikat ZT-35A.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 234
Hi everyone, I just found this picture on the internet, and the caption states that these are South African officers in front of a Chieftain.
My question is, did South Africa test the Chieftains or is the caption wrong? FB_IMG_1633525011293.jpg

Hi everyone, I just found this picture on the internet, and the caption states that these are South African officers in front of a Chieftain.
My question is, did South Africa test the Chieftains or is the caption wrong?View attachment 665686
Unless I'm missing something I don't see anything that makes them South African,so I'd go with incorrect caption.

ent's actions? Downunder, that would be SOP. I've instructed, mainly on small arms at the range and we always have for recruits an instructor with them, to make sure they don't make many stuff-ups and follow the procedure properly. I've been instructed on RCLs and Mortars in the same way.

The turret looks identical but the gun is clearly not the 76mm, whether it existed or is just concept art I couldn't say.
found three pictures of the so called Rooikat 35/ZT3 it looks like the ZT3 is mounted in place of the one hatch (loaders one)

Attachments

• 122554-80c9b63cc0d04d1e4c612a8cd78f37bf.jpg
    122554-80c9b63cc0d04d1e4c612a8cd78f37bf.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 156
  • DgM0EcyV4AECs-p.jpg
    DgM0EcyV4AECs-p.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 153
  • OIP.jpg
    OIP.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 181
The first pic is a still from a video I have seen, and might be posted either here or on the Rooikat thread.
The vehicle was being driven at speed offroad, so it certainly wasn't just concept art, or even a display/show mock-up.
Whether it was a full working prototype, I'm not sure of.
It mounted the LIW GA-35 cannon (35mm) as found on the eGLaS single, ZA-35 twin, and naval twin DP mounts.

The first pic is a still from a video I have seen, and might be posted either here or on the Rooikat thread.
The vehicle was being driven at speed offroad, so it certainly wasn't just concept art, or even a display/show mock-up.
Whether it was a full working prototype, I'm not sure of.
It mounted the LIW GA-35 cannon (35mm) as found on the eGLaS single, ZA-35 twin, and naval twin DP mounts.
Ye I was looking for the video didn't find it here or the Rooikat tread, found it doing a bit of searching, I would say they where just playing around see what they could do, the reason why there are so much crazy prototypes because they wanted money. Also the paint scheme shows all of those are the same vehicle

Last edited:
Playing the SADF Deck on Wargame Red Dragon i wonder how much better the Loggim prototype was then the Olifant Mk 1/2s.

a928d263ef42de590a27d7e59b6a6a01f434d288.jpg

Playing the SADF Deck on Wargame Red Dragon i wonder how much better the Loggim prototype was then the Olifant Mk 1/2s.

a928d263ef42de590a27d7e59b6a6a01f434d288.jpg
Realistically both the Olifant Mk1b and Mk2 are stopgap vehicles the Mk1b they expected to get the TTD, the Mk2 is a Mk1b upgraded with TTD technology. So most sources agree that the Loggim is in the Leopard 2A4 range.

Realistically both the Olifant Mk1b and Mk2 are stopgap vehicles the Mk1b they expected to get the TTD, the Mk2 is a Mk1b upgraded with TTD technology. So most sources agree that the Loggim is in the Leopard 2A4 range.

A when i read the description of the South Africa deck on Wargame Red Dragon its describes the Loggim as:
It is close to a USMC M1A1(HC) Abrams , featuring the same FAV but lesser side and rear armor.

I'd treat any information that isn't official with extreme caution.
Especially from a computer game site.
The TTD/Loggim was a wholly different generation tank to the Olifants, and as stated, was designed to complement and then replace them.

Also does anyone have sources on the CS100 fire control system?
I have posted a few brochures on some of our different fire control systems over the years - they are scattered throughout this and some other threads, not sure if one of them covers the CS100 though..?

On another note - a bit of an update on the Mombe 4 - I assume this is due to feedback from actual combat use by some of it's customers..?

Add-on armour now available for Mbombe 4​

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/add-on-armour-now-available-for-mbombe-4/

Attachments

• Mbombe_4_India_Paramount.jpg
    Mbombe_4_India_Paramount.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 169
I have posted a few brochures on some of our different fire control systems over the years - they are scattered throughout this and some other threads, not sure if one of them covers the CS100 though..?

On another note - a bit of an update on the Mombe 4 - I assume this is due to feedback from actual combat use by some of it's customers..?

if you could perhaps send them again or maybe send the link to it then I would appreciate it a lot!

if you could perhaps send them again or maybe send the link to it then I would appreciate it a lot!

Estian 12 - I've posted some brochures on the CS 60, CS 65 and CS 72 Fire control systems in posts #1053/1070/1190 within this thread (but not the CS100). The only other CS 100 that I know of is an armoured car (ICV) we developed, whose brochure (and that of the CS 200 IFV) I also scanned and posted within these pages - you would need to take a search for that one though.. Good luck and happy humting!

Edit: Please remind me, which vehicle/s was the CS 100 Fire control system used on?

Last edited:

Estian 12 - I've posted some brochures on the CS 60, CS 65 and CS 72 Fire control systems in posts #1053/1070/1190 within this thread (but not the CS100). The only other CS 100 that I know of is an armoured car (ICV) we developed, whose brochure (and that of the CS 200 IFV) I also scanned and posted within these pages - you would need to take a search for that one though.. Good luck and happy humting!

Edit: Please remind me, which vehicle/s was the CS 100 Fire control system used on?
Awesome thank you for your assistance, supposedly it was mounted on the Optimum

Kentron SAHV-3
Does anyone have more information on the Kentron SAHV-3 which was tested on the cactus, for example, technical data or brochures, books discussing the development & testing of the missile, and what kind of tracking the missile used? Any official sources will greatly be appreciated.

135235246_3453680891421419_1114106074477159326_n.jpg

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I have recently come across a modernised Ratel 90 with a Cockerill 90 and new, enlarged turret.
Edit: It's a SIBMAS (see reply #1,908

Attachments

• Ratel 90 with Cockerill 90.png
    Ratel 90 with Cockerill 90.png
    586 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Kentron SAHV-3
Does anyone have more information on the Kentron SAHV-3 which was tested on the cactus, for example, technical data or brochures, books discussing the development & testing of the missile, and what kind of tracking the missile used? Any official sources will greatly be appreciated.

View attachment 667350

Hi Griffin, your best bet for any answers would on this thread:

The associated radar info here...

Last edited:
Kentron SAHV-3

View attachment 667350

Hi Griffin, your best bet for any answers would on this thread:

The associated radar info here...

Thank you! Will try my luck on those threads.

Tank Technology Demonstrator.
A closer look, including inside the hull, sub-components, basic cutaway, engine..etc
View: https://youtu.be/y7eHvjfkdH8
1637183594319.png
This is an image of the video of TTD turret from tank-encyclopedia.
I understand that the yellow box are ammo racks. Its that correct?
How many rounds you can put in each one, aprox?

Abraham Gubler said:
Herman said:
I did see several interesting vehicles inside the camp however, amongst them the Brazilian Urutu APC that was also trialled during the development of the Ratel.

I thought the Brazilians even under their Military Dictatorship were quite anti RSA/Apartheid. Maybe it could have been an Urutu captured from Angola or Mozambique? Lusophone connection and all that.

Here is the Urutu in question. From its general pristine condition - no bundu bashing - or battle damage, I assume it was specifically acquired for the Ratel trials. From where and through which channels
Where was this taken exactly?

Anyone have info or other pics of this fire control looking unit in the background behind the band in this very reason pic.

Attachments

• AA parade.jpg
    AA parade.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 155
I have encountered this photo once or twice but I don't know anything about it.
unknown-5.png
It's obviously on the same chassis as the G6, like the G6 marksman, but it's not the ZA HVM prototype/mockup turret that can be seen on Rooikat ZA HVM. Does anyone know what this vehicle is and if it's a prototype, mockup, photoshop, etc? Even just what missiles those are.

I have encountered this photo once or twice but I don't know anything about it.
View attachment 672187
It's obviously on the same chassis as the G6, like the G6 marksman, but it's not the ZA HVM prototype/mockup turret that can be seen on Rooikat ZA HVM. Does anyone know what this vehicle is and if it's a prototype, mockup, photoshop, etc? Even just what missiles those are.
POST #1259

Yes, post 1258 and 1259.
There are differences in the 2 pictures.
I think it was displayed at DEXSA 92.
The missile was the South African High Velocity or SAHV, that was mounted on the Rooikat, and Cactus (Crotale) chassis.
This missile was what led to the Umkhonto naval SAM.

Sad state of affairs... Long time coming though. LMT did a fair amount of additional design work on the original Patria design, most specifically making it mine resistant - I guess that aspect can or has been sold back to Patria to enhance their potential sales to new clients.

At least we made some good money out of the sale of the newly developed turrets and weapons (by Denel/LMT) to the Malaysians - so not all was wasted..

Denel unable to deliver on Hoefyster contract; Armscor recommends cancellation​

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featur...ter-contract-armscor-recommends-cancellation/

Attachments

• Badger_IFV_400x300_Guy_Martin.jpg
    Badger_IFV_400x300_Guy_Martin.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 414
Last edited: