South African missiles/rockets/PGM's - Prototypes, Projects, Concepts, etc.

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Graugrun said:
Some nice updates on nearly the whole range of missiles Denel Dynamics is developing, testing and manufacturing. Some new ones are mentioned as well.

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53093:denel-dynamics-develops-new-missiles&catid=50:Land&Itemid=105
There seems to be a typo in the press release. It refers to P2 as a "surface-to-air munition" but the rest of the description makes it clear that it's an air-to-surface weapon, basically a small guided bomb (similar in scale to Griffin-A?).

Graugrun

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Thanks for spotting their error TomS!

Further to the article in my post #199 above - the following are (1st pic is my own my speculation) of three of the UAV type weapons mentioned in it:

1st pic - is perhaps a basic concept model of the P2 (14 kg, ground to air UN-powered small diameter weapon - medium range)?

2nd pic is a model of the Impi-S (15 kg, inertial/semi-active laser-guided missile - 6 km range).

3rd pic is the larger Impi missile (25 kg, inertial/semi-active laser-guided missile - 10 km range).

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score
An update on the CAT range of micro gas turbine engines, ranging from 120 to 400 Newton models (see my previous post #176).

Most interesting to me is the mention of them featuring a fuel-atomising direct kerostart system, which also enables a relighting capability for high-altitude starts - I take this to mean the capability to launch PGM's/cruise missile type weapons from an aircraft.

https://www.janes.com/article/83092/power-up-aad18d1

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score
Thanks for those nice pics 61mech! - good to see some of the range in comparison/relation to each other, also it's great to finally get a decent sized pic of the elusive Impi missile (a mock-up's good enough for me). I'll add in some of my own pics soon.

In the meantime, some more info on the 1000N Gas Turbine- it's now named the SED-1000x.

As can be seen by the big change in the internal layout, a different direction in it's design has been taken (compare to my post #180), it's now much more conventional in it's layout and is also pretty much frozen in terms of it's final design - It's about 50cm long and 25cm wide. Testing of the compressor section is scheduled for March 2019, and I guess that the complete system will have been tested (fully?) by the end of 2019. One of the designers told me that he would more than likely scale it up (3,3 kN I mentioned in post #180?), and then go on to use it as a core for a turbofan model/version.

I still suspect that a foreign client is behind the need for this and once developed, they will buy the IP for it and produce it themselves..?

Attachments

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
Graugrun said:
I still suspect that a foreign client is behind the need for this and once developed, they will buy the IP for it and produce it themselves..?
China, you think?

Graugrun

Reaction score
Grey Havoc said:
Graugrun said:
China, you think?
No - someone geographically more in the middle of us (South Africa) and China...

Graugrun

Reaction score

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score
Here's the official brochure for the Cheetah missile/Oerlikon Skyshield Force Protection System. I got this at AAD 2018, and the Denel guys at the stand told me that Denel was actually approached by Rheinmetall Defence to develop the missile for them. I was also told that interestingly enough, by Rheinmetall's various calculations, it would be cheaper to fire a Cheetah missile at an incoming C-RAM target, then to fire a short burst (about 4 rounds per twin gun) of AHEAD ammunition at the target!!!

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score
Here's another update on the Brazilian defence minister's visit to Denel Dynamics, this one is in more detail. He was briefed on the A-Darter, Marlin and Umkhonto missiles in particular. Very interesting to have confirmation that the Umkhonto R (Radar) has been contracted for development and production (for Algeria?), hopefully this will incorporate the EIR extended range dual pulse rocket motor. Interesting that apparently the Brazilians (who will be ordering the A-Darter AAM for their 36 new Gripen E/F fighters) might be interested in an Air-Air version of the Umkhonto, as a BVR missile for their Gripens. Perhaps they need it soon and don't want to wait for the Marlin, which might still take a few years of development... Or that they may be interested in it's commonality should they utilize Umkhonto in the SAM role too (for it's military, since their navy has opted for the CAMM SAM from MBDA?).

https://www.defenceweb.co.za/featured/brazilian-defence-minister-briefed-on-denel-dynamics-missile-range/

Attachments

Graugrun

Reaction score
Another (FEb 2019) article on the Al-Tariq and newer low cost PGM's - interestingly it's claimend that the PGM's and even the Al-Tariq, have also been intergrated onto the F-16E's as well as the Mirage 2000-9's - quote below:

"At the opposite tip of the range, EDIC’s Barij Dynamics (formerly part of Tawazun industry) is producing guidance kits for large guided bombs specifically used by the UAE Air Force’s Mirage 2000-9s and F-16E Fighting Falcons. After starting production of the Al Tariq dual mode (GNSS/INS) guided bomb kit based on that of the South African Denel Umbani and producing a fold-out wing kit that extends the bomb range to over 100 km (from 40 km), either grafted to the nose of Mk.81 or Mk.82 explosive bodies.

More recently, Barij Dynamics has initiated production of the low-cost Sejeel guidance kit for Mk.80 series bombs which turns these dumb bombs into guided ammunition that can be programmed with differing attack profiles, including off-axis and moving target capability. Most interesting on show was the strap-on kit for the 1-ton Mk.84 weapon used on the centerline pylon by the UAE Air Force Mirage 2000-9, just like the French Air Force does today on its Mirage 2000 D fighter-bombers flying over Syria and bombing Daesh outposts from their Jordanian secret H4 base."

https://www.edrmagazine.eu/idex-2019-edic-from-bullets-to-heavy-guided-emirati-bombs

Attachments