Some Future Titles of Interest for SPF Members

Was that any Projects in it ?.

Only types that at least had flying examples are included. Among the least known (at least for me) types included are the Bloch MB 700, Roussel 30 and SNCASE SE.100. Usually preceding developments in the types' history are mentioned in the text, but the project work is not discussed in detail.

"The Magic and Menace of SpaceShipOne is a new book about the incredible civilian spaceflight program orchestrated by the indomitable Burt Rutan over a scant three years, 2001 to 2004. This was the effort that led to Virgin Galactic’s plan to put paying tourists into space. It was the leading news story of 2004, providing a welcome respite from bleak events around the world.

I enjoyed the unique perspective of being Burt’s program manager, his rocket motor test director, and one of his test pilots. Coupled with the additional insights provided by also being Burt’s long-time golf partner, I offer an entirely unique viewpoint, with details not previously addressed, as suggested by the book’s title."

Crecy have just informed me that the Boulton Paul projects book, scheduled to be published on 30th September, will be delayed by 'a few months'
Latest news is that the editing and layout had been completed but Crecy then decided to delay publication by a year. While I understand the trials and tribulations of the current situation that does seem like a curious decision while other new 'niche' titles in their catalogue are still being published. The publishing business is a curious beast with sometimes an odd-ball logic all of its own, but I assume they have their reasons. Hopefully that decision will be subject to continues review and the publication brought forward again.

Crecy have just informed me that the Boulton Paul projects book, scheduled to be published on 30th September, will be delayed by 'a few months'
Latest news is that the editing and layout had been completed but Crecy then decided to delay publication by a year. While I understand the trials and tribulations of the current situation that does seem like a curious decision while other new 'niche' titles in their catalogue are still being published. The publishing business is a curious beast with sometimes an odd-ball logic all of its own, but I assume they have their reasons. Hopefully that decision will be subject to continues review and the publication brought forward again.

Looks like I will have to put that book on hold sadly now.

Does anoby know, if this book is a good one? Is anything known about the author Xavier Tracol?
I just got my copy. Lots of decent CG renderings and several very clear and high resolution photos of the actual submarines. I'm slowly going through it (French is not a language I translate quickly!) but it appears to have a lot of information I was unaware of, including XXIB-D proposals or blocks. My only criticism so far as that it really doesn't focus much on the other proposed designs, I think the Original Zum Modell Type XVIII & XXVI seems a better source, although this book does have side view cutaway drawings of them.

The only book announced by Osprey in the X-Planes series for 2021. Looks a condensed version of Wolf's magnum opus for Schiffer:

XPL: Douglas XB-19 Intercontinental Bomber

In 1935 the intent of the USAAC was to build a potential intercontinental bomber, a “Guardian of the Hemisphere,” and granted Donald Douglas a contract to build the world’s largest bomber. The ground work for the intercontinental bomber had been laid in the previous two decades by the courageous military and civilian pilots who risked their lives to set new distance and endurance records. After World War I the future Axis and Allied nations built larger and larger aircraft and finally during World War II Germany and Japan became intent on developing intercontinental bomber to retaliate against America. While the XB-19 never flew as an intercontinental bomber or even as a combat bomber; its contributions as a “Flying Laboratory” significantly influenced the development of the Consolidated B-36 Peacemaker, the world’s first true intercontinental bomber.

Since the XB-19 project was Top Secret and there was only one example built there is little information remaining for researchers. Over the years Bill Wolf has collected probably the largest quantity of XB-19 material and number of photos ever assembled, including a copy of the original Army Air Force acceptance of the aircraft, first-hand narratives of its first flight, and other USAAC and Douglas Company documents.

Is there much new information in this edition, when compared to the original edition - which I've had for years.

Also, while talking about books, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on the Fall of France from the French perspective. I realise that this is not really a subject appropriate for this forum but it's a subject I am really intrigued by. All the books I have seen online are in French which I am merde at.

Is there much new information in this edition, when compared to the original edition - which I've had for years.

Also, while talking about books, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on the Fall of France from the French perspective. I realise that this is not really a subject appropriate for this forum but it's a subject I am really intrigued by. All the books I have seen online are in French which I am merde at.
It's not quite what you are looking for, but Two Roads to War: The French and British Air Arms from Versailles to Dunkirk fills in a number of questions as to "Why?" and I can recommend it.

It will be nice to have a paperback version, my HC is a bit of a brick. Now if someone could please get USNI to re-issue their book on Soviet battleships, even if only electronically.

Members may be interested in a new book, British Submarines of the Cold War by Norman Friedman, which is to be published by Seaforth in the UK and by the Naval Institute in the United States, about next February.

The only book announced by Osprey in the X-Planes series for 2021. Looks a condensed version of Wolf's magnum opus for Schiffer:

In 1935 the intent of the USAAC was to build a potential intercontinental bomber, a “Guardian of the Hemisphere,” and granted Donald Douglas a contract to build the world’s largest bomber. The ground work for the intercontinental bomber had been laid in the previous two decades by the courageous military and civilian pilots who risked their lives to set new distance and endurance records. After World War I the future Axis and Allied nations built larger and larger aircraft and finally during World War II Germany and Japan became intent on developing intercontinental bomber to retaliate against America. While the XB-19 never flew as an intercontinental bomber or even as a combat bomber; its contributions as a “Flying Laboratory” significantly influenced the development of the Consolidated B-36 Peacemaker, the world’s first true intercontinental bomber.

Since the XB-19 project was Top Secret and there was only one example built there is little information remaining for researchers. Over the years Bill Wolf has collected probably the largest quantity of XB-19 material and number of photos ever assembled, including a copy of the original Army Air Force acceptance of the aircraft, first-hand narratives of its first flight, and other USAAC and Douglas Company documents.
Amazon is currently showing release date for this books as 26 October.

Ta_154_cover.jpg

Members may be interested in a new book, British Submarines of the Cold War by Norman Friedman, which is to be published by Seaforth in the UK and by the Naval Institute in the United States, about next February.
Ordered it through Naval Institute.

Provisional cover art from Amazon. Somehow when I see "gunships" I can't help but think helicopters....
View attachment 631085
Updated cover design:
View attachment 640432
I have the book and it is a very interesting read, both as to the origin of the concept and as to the various attempts to meet it. It also talks about other "Convoy Protector" (USAAF-MD term for this kind of aircraft) studies, such as combining the YB-40 with the XB-38, a similar heavily armed variant of the Martin B-26 (paper only), and a "Convoy Protector" version of the B-29 (one prototype, later returned to normal B-29 configuration).

Osprey has apparently had a difficult year. My wife and I persuaded them to let us do a book for their X-Planes series on the McDonnell XP-67, and due to current realities they've pushed its release back to November of NEXT year! We'd wanted to do a full-blown big reference book, we've certainly uncovered enough to fill one, but Osprey didn't think there would be enough of a market to justify the expense of putting it together and printing it, especially in this age of outright online piracy of images and text (a certain well-known Russian site springs to mind) so they offered to let us do a short version in the X-Planes line. Better that than nothing...

I now have this one and it has pretty good coverage. I just wish they had one picture of the Army-TSSAM testing that was done there. One picture has a caption commenting on how TTR is part of the Nevada open range and has quite an assortment of wildlife. That reminded me of watching the film of an Army-TSSAM test when some wild horses ran by in the foreground.
"Are those horses cleared for the program?"
"Well, if they are, they are the first complete horses we've cleared."

Amazon is currently showing release date for this books as 26 October.
Cover art as of now:
1615693859948.png

1616964257156.png

I look forward to this book, which is a revised and updated combined edition (464 pages) of the two volumes on the Me 163 which have long been out of print.
Dan Sharp mentioned in the past on the Falke Eins website that he was helping Ransom to update his book for a reprint.

Available as of 30th September 2021: http://www.crecy.co.uk/me-163-rocket-interceptor

From Fonthill's page: https://www.fonthill.media/collections/latest/products/arado

• Previously published information that is unproved and/or incorrect are checked against new documentary sources

• Beautifully illustrated with 163 rare, unpublished and high-quality photographs

• Includes details on aircraft inspired by the Storch’s amazing flight capabilities as well as the various ultralight aircraft since the 1990s

• A must-have for military enthusiasts, modellers and those interested in the complexities of aircraft design and production during the Second World War

Founded in Warnemünde in 1925, Arado Flugzeugwerke developed civilian and military prototypes for the clandestine armament programme of the Reichswehr.

From 1933 when licensed production of military aircraft commenced, the factory also built a number of their own designs.

Best known are the training planes Ar 66 and Ar 96, the catapult floatplane Ar 196, and the record-breaking sport aircraft Ar 79. With the two- or four-engine Ar 234, the world’s first operational jet bomber was built.

At the end of the war, Arado initiated the project of the first supersonic experimental aircraft.

Arado Flugzeugwerke: Aircraft and Development charts the development of all Arado aircraft between 1925 and 1945, as well as the development and capabilities of the factory. It also gives an overview of the licensed-productions and other projects.

The information in this book is based on original documentation, unpublished photographs and will rectify some of the speculation and fantasy that has been published about Arado Flugzeugwerke.