• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Some Future Titles of Interest for SPF Members

bobbymike

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score

quellish

I am not actually here.
Reaction score
"The Magic and Menace of SpaceShipOne is a new book about the incredible civilian spaceflight program orchestrated by the indomitable Burt Rutan over a scant three years, 2001 to 2004. This was the effort that led to Virgin Galactic’s plan to put paying tourists into space. It was the leading news story of 2004, providing a welcome respite from bleak events around the world.

I enjoyed the unique perspective of being Burt’s program manager, his rocket motor test director, and one of his test pilots. Coupled with the additional insights provided by also being Burt’s long-time golf partner, I offer an entirely unique viewpoint, with details not previously addressed, as suggested by the book’s title."

Schneiderman

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Crecy have just informed me that the Boulton Paul projects book, scheduled to be published on 30th September, will be delayed by 'a few months'
Latest news is that the editing and layout had been completed but Crecy then decided to delay publication by a year. While I understand the trials and tribulations of the current situation that does seem like a curious decision while other new 'niche' titles in their catalogue are still being published. The publishing business is a curious beast with sometimes an odd-ball logic all of its own, but I assume they have their reasons. Hopefully that decision will be subject to continues review and the publication brought forward again.

FighterJock

Reaction score
Crecy have just informed me that the Boulton Paul projects book, scheduled to be published on 30th September, will be delayed by 'a few months'
Latest news is that the editing and layout had been completed but Crecy then decided to delay publication by a year. While I understand the trials and tribulations of the current situation that does seem like a curious decision while other new 'niche' titles in their catalogue are still being published. The publishing business is a curious beast with sometimes an odd-ball logic all of its own, but I assume they have their reasons. Hopefully that decision will be subject to continues review and the publication brought forward again.
Looks like I will have to put that book on hold sadly now.

ninjrk

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
I just got my copy. Lots of decent CG renderings and several very clear and high resolution photos of the actual submarines. I'm slowly going through it (French is not a language I translate quickly!) but it appears to have a lot of information I was unaware of, including XXIB-D proposals or blocks. My only criticism so far as that it really doesn't focus much on the other proposed designs, I think the Original Zum Modell Type XVIII & XXVI seems a better source, although this book does have side view cutaway drawings of them.

gatoraptor

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
The only book announced by Osprey in the X-Planes series for 2021. Looks a condensed version of Wolf's magnum opus for Schiffer:

XPL: Douglas XB-19 Intercontinental Bomber

In 1935 the intent of the USAAC was to build a potential intercontinental bomber, a “Guardian of the Hemisphere,” and granted Donald Douglas a contract to build the world’s largest bomber. The ground work for the intercontinental bomber had been laid in the previous two decades by the courageous military and civilian pilots who risked their lives to set new distance and endurance records. After World War I the future Axis and Allied nations built larger and larger aircraft and finally during World War II Germany and Japan became intent on developing intercontinental bomber to retaliate against America. While the XB-19 never flew as an intercontinental bomber or even as a combat bomber; its contributions as a “Flying Laboratory” significantly influenced the development of the Consolidated B-36 Peacemaker, the world’s first true intercontinental bomber.

Since the XB-19 project was Top Secret and there was only one example built there is little information remaining for researchers. Over the years Bill Wolf has collected probably the largest quantity of XB-19 material and number of photos ever assembled, including a copy of the original Army Air Force acceptance of the aircraft, first-hand narratives of its first flight, and other USAAC and Douglas Company documents.

JohnR

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Is there much new information in this edition, when compared to the original edition - which I've had for years.

Also, while talking about books, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on the Fall of France from the French perspective. I realise that this is not really a subject appropriate for this forum but it's a subject I am really intrigued by. All the books I have seen online are in French which I am merde at.

elmayerle

Reaction score
Is there much new information in this edition, when compared to the original edition - which I've had for years.

Also, while talking about books, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good book on the Fall of France from the French perspective. I realise that this is not really a subject appropriate for this forum but it's a subject I am really intrigued by. All the books I have seen online are in French which I am merde at.
It's not quite what you are looking for, but Two Roads to War: The French and British Air Arms from Versailles to Dunkirk fills in a number of questions as to "Why?" and I can recommend it.