• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Social media trackers active on this site.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Very surprised to find a report from firefox that social media site trackers are active on this forum. Not something I would have thought possible but that's the report for you. Comments? Thoughts?

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It has Google Analytics. That's all. I can take a look at the collection settings in Google Analytics and see if there’s anything specific to social media.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok - I think what you are referring to is the built-in Xenforo “share this post on Facebook / Twitter etc” buttons. If you choose to share a forum post on Facebook using this feature then the social media company concerned will know that you visited my site. This is kind of unavoidable given the functionality. So long as you don’t use the feature I don’t believe you can be tracked but I can investigate in more detail.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I installed Firefox, visited the forum and signed in. No social media trackers were detected in Firefox.

sublight is back

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I installed Firefox, visited the forum and signed in. No social media trackers were detected in Firefox.
That is weird, because I saw the "social media tracker" message in Firefox as well, but now it seems to have disappeared.

overscan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have also turned off a vaguely worded feature in Google Analytics called "Signals" which is supposed to give enhanced reporting but seems mainly related to Adwords campaigns.

These are the areas where more information is gathered when Google Signals is activated (but only for users with Ads Personalization enabled):

• Remarketing – this extends any eligible remarketing activities to work cross-device
  • Ads reporting – you’ll get more information about users
  • Demographics and interest reports – more information will be collected
  • Cross-device reports (in beta) – you will start to see cross-device information in your account
This might be relevant. The only report this seems to enhance for me is the device overlap report, which shows what amount users uses multiple access methods e.g. desktop + mobile. (an example screenshot below)
device-overlap-report.png

Last edited:

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Gone here too now but thanks for checking. All sorts popping up lately I am even having to repeatedly fix the microsnot app that "Allow windows to switch off this device for power saving" which seeing as I never switched the thing on myself, keeps reactivating. A very annoying habit microsnot has of thinking they own my pc. I know I paid for it AND the OS because my bank made a point of putting it on my statement.

Firefox like everything else, wants us to "Sighn in", pun intended, so it can 'make us safe'. Yeah right.