SNCAN (Nord) 2500 « Noratlas » developments

Caravellarella

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dear Boys & Girls, here is a "Secret Project" for you; a double-ended Noratlas version. I believe the cockpit section was removed from one damaged aircraft and grafted onto the rear fuselage of another! Probably to allow observers to watch (in comfort) the parachutists leave the lateral doors.; not very "Secret", but could be classified as a "Project".....

The cutting is taken from the 9th February 1957 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• SNCAN N-2501 Noratlas - Les Ailes No. 1,619 - 9 Février 1957.......jpg
    SNCAN N-2501 Noratlas - Les Ailes No. 1,619 - 9 Février 1957.......jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 645
Crazy and nice! The article states that the advantage of both the twin-boom configuration and the perfectly symmetric shape of the fuselage is the possibility to cannibalize the front end from another airframe and fit it to the rear end in case of an emergency repair... Fortunately, no-one came up with the idea of two rear-ends back to back for jumping from both ends!!!

But for better observation of the descending parachutists, they should have fitted the rear
cockpit upside down, I think. And two rear ends would have made the perfect RoRo-air freighter,
only the cockpit would have had to be relocated. ;)
It it's interesting, how much effort was put into the serviceability of this type. The N.2500-01,
first prototype, still had identical main gear legs, instead of paired ones.

Attachments

• Nord_N-2500-01.GIF
    Nord_N-2500-01.GIF
    94.2 KB · Views: 632
I've seen that photo before - if memory serves me right it just stated that the Noratlas was able to carry a spare cockpit by air itself to repair another one...

Regards,
Barry

Hi,

here is the SNCAN N.2500 series from A-Z magazine,and also the N.2520
was a stretch version with 5m increase in the length and heavier by 7 ton.

Attachments

• Nord 2500 series.jpg
    Nord 2500 series.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 540
The rear post is one main advantage of the twin-boom layout (Fw189, this Noratlas), not only the rear door (Packet, main Noratlas)... all is logical. Thanks. ;D

Hi all.
I know all the version of the Noratlas...but..
I read about an enlarged version "Nord 2520"
Do you have something about ?
a bigger one for 60 people ??
THANKS

Just a guess: The N.2502, the only dedicated civil transport version of the "Nora" carried
47 pax. If no higher density seating was envisaged, the central fuselage would have to be
lengthened by around 27 %. The tail booms have to be lengthened, too, I think. And as a
weather radar became more and more standard for passenger aircraft ...

Attachments

• N-2520.gif
    N-2520.gif
    20.2 KB · Views: 528
THANKS MY DEAR jENS
What I know :
Nord 2520 : Enlarged Nord 2502 with better cargo capacity
enlarged and longer fuselage.
Never passed the planning stage.
HESHAM write (to you) on the may 10 2007 :
"nord 2520 : 5 m increased in length and 7 tonnes add
to the weight"
that all ...!
I read also that in 1943 nord studies the n.1480
same general configuration ????
THANKS AGAIN TO YOU TWO .bYE

I know these are not "developments", only a regular Noratlas which I photographed at Le Bourget last week... but it would be a shame not to share these pics with you, wouldn't it? ;)

Dsc_0131.jpg

Dsc_0132.jpg

Dsc_0134.jpg

Stargazer2006 said:
... but it would be a shame not to share these pics with you, wouldn't it? ;)

Indeed ! This example is still in flyable condition ?

Jemiba said:
Stargazer2006 said:
... but it would be a shame not to share these pics with you, wouldn't it? ;)

Indeed ! This example is still in flyable condition ?

It is.

Here is a page with a few photos. Apparently it was restored as part of an effort to raise money for cystic fibrosis research.

Cet appareil est le seul de ce type au monde à voler, et il a été classé récemment monument historique.

Translation:

It is the only such machine of this type in the world to be flightworthy, and was recently added to the list of France's national heritage monuments.

http://www.association-cyrielle.com/Noratlas.htm

Stargazer2006 said:
Apparently it was restored as part of an effort to raise money for cystic fibrosis research.

Probably the best way to combine two good deeds !
And adding an aircraft to the list of national heritages, is something France can be proud of !
Will probably never happen in Germany ...

I've just remebered one Tanguy and Laverdure comic where Nord is used to drop ransom to terrorists that destroyed commercial cargo planes using the Harriers. Nice plane :)

I remember that I once saw (must have been) Noratlas in Cologne as a child (guess in the late 70 th) and it fascinated me much more than all the jets...