SNCAM GLIDE BOMB 1940.

klem

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
SNCAM glide bomb from 1940, not much information about it.Any new indication would be a good contribution.Thanks

Attachments

• sncam glide bomb.jpg
    sncam glide bomb.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 69
!!! You found the photo?! I only meet a passing mentions of it in Jung and some other sources.

If I recall it correctly, it was basically a glide/guidance kit for standard 50-kg bomb. It was equipped with a wing and a direction rudder, controlled by gyro (presumably just mechanically). It was supposed to be dropped as standoff weapon and follow the drop azimuth toward the target.

!!! You found the photo?! I only meet a passing mentions of it in Jung and some other sources.

If I recall it correctly, it was basically a glide/guidance kit for standard 50-kg bomb. It was equipped with a wing and a direction rudder, controlled by gyro (presumably just mechanically). It was supposed to be dropped as standoff weapon and follow the drop azimuth toward the target.
Thanks Dilandu, Yes, certainly what you say, it must have been mechanically gyrostabilized because given the weight it is a standard bomb to which is added a directional mechanism for gliding but I'm looking for the moment any consistent document concerning it.

SNCAM: ex-Dewoitine plant in Toulouse. "SNCA" national aviation company + "M" standing for "Midi" as in "le midi de la France": the "middle South", between Toulouse and Montpellier and the spanish border.

Was soon (1941) merged with its counterpart in Cannes (as in Le Festival de Cannes), SNCA-SE: South-East.

Later (1957) merged with SNCASO (Bordeaux, Sud Ouest, South-West) to create Sud Aviation, of Caravelle fame.

SNCAM glide bomb from 1940, not much information about it.Any new indication would be a good contribution.Thanks
From "The True Beginnings of French Astronautics, 1938-1959 (Part 1)", Philippe Jung, IAC 1999

It should be noted that in the summer of 1939, the SNCAM (Société Nationale de Constructions Aéronautiques du Midi) studied the addition of removable wings on a 50 kg bomb. It no doubt was an answer to the five-year plan of August 1936 that included a highly secret armament section calling for gliding bombs. Heading was kept by a gyroscopic device with barometric drive initiation. Several tests were performed in the wind tunnel of the IMF (Institut de Mécanique des Fluides) in Toulouse Banléve, from October 17 to 19, 1939 and continued in the following months of November and December. After satisfactory trials in Cazaux around March 1940, a pre-series batch was ordered by Armée de l'Air on April 30, a few being delivered from the Bagnères-de-Bigorre prototype plant South of Toulouse, just before the armistice of June 1940 but too late to be used operationally. Modified 100 and 200 kg bombs were also studied as possible guided bombs but they were not built.

Another source with other information than those quoted by Philippe Jung in-The True Beginnings of French Astronautics 1938-1959.Part 1.pp.77-78.The text says: "2) GLIDING DEVICES: Tests were carried out in the years before the Second World War, but almost nothing is known about them. A short-range gliding bomb was designed by Fauvel. In 1938 the construction was planned by Amiot (cell) and M. Chassériau. Two projects appeared at the same time (1937-38) of long-range gliding bombs, called "automatic stabilization". One was intended for the Alsthom company, which quickly lost interest in it, the other for Schneider. It seems that others were considered by the Arsenal de l'Aéronautique. Mr. Riffard, the famous Caudron engineer, was also studying the projects and Alleau was working on the necessary equipment.On the eve of the Armistice, the SNCAM received a contract for the production of 50 kg gliding bombs." (Document pdf extracted from a book in French, title and author not mentioned.p.342) in (https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/attachments/frencharmbomb-pdf.104235/.) It would be interesting to know the title of the book and the sources of reference of this extract relating to the gliding bomb.

Attachments

• 342.jpg
    342.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 27
The book is

Raymond Danel & Jean Cuny
L’aviation française de bombardement et de renseignement (1918-1940)
Docavia, 1980

A very detailed book (about 400 pages), but it seems it has not a bibliography at the end.

Back
Top Bottom