Small UAS / Drones and related general thread - NOT Swarming ones.

View: https://x.com/AirPowerNEW1/status/1810980360638865514

Chinese special police force anti terrorist exercise:

Last edited:
Interesting to learn that the drone make some use of an Ukrainian SIM card when overflying Ukraine territory and that RAM is extensively used.

A drone has apparently downed an Mi-8 according to Russian sources.

Unfortunately for the men on board it was bound to happen eventually with all of the attempts we've seen.

Could DIRCM systems allow for them to blind the optics on such a cheap kamikaze drone? If it can do it to the sensor on an IR guided missile it ought to be able to do it to some cheap drone camera.

Unfortunately for the men on board it was bound to happen eventually with all of the attempts we've seen.

Could DIRCM systems allow for them to blind the optics on such a cheap kamikaze drone? If it can do it to the sensor on an IR guided missile it ought to be able to do it to some cheap drone camera.

DIRCM might be effective against some optic packages but I bet most detectors would not identify and lock onto a UAV as an air threat. Typically threat sensors are in the IR/UV spectrum and I suspect a battery operated UAV looks like the background to those; they are likely tuned for short range SAM/MANPAD detection and UAVs put out little to none in the wavelengths sampled.

Drones also have extremely wideband optics.

Depends on the drone. I think most are simple optical camera because they are civilian models, but there are also IR versions reserved for night. Certainly no FPV is wearing multi channel optics; it will be one or the other.

...one that has a seeker head that appears to be designed for laser guidance, although other possibilities also exist, including an electro-optical type. The weapon is marked BK-30F in Cyrillic and has what appears to be a relatively large fragmentation warhead section that takes up the middle of its body.

1722696183059.png

I don't get why you'd want to use a C130 to deploy the Hero 120 given their range of 40km, with that short of standoff range seems like a good way to lose a C130 except if its in pervasive environments. And those type of environments allow AC-130s to operate.

I don't get why you'd want to use a C130 to deploy the Hero 120 given their range of 40km, with that short of standoff range seems like a good way to lose a C130 except if its in pervasive environments. And those type of environments allow AC-130s to operate.
One smells beancounter logic in action here....

When drug gangs and bored shitposters all have FPVs, do you really think there are environments that AC-130s can operate? (note visual target cognition is rapidly proliferating, and big flying thingy spamming tracers is not a difficult problem)

I guess there is uncontacted stone age people in the amazons

When I see that it's clear why FARA was cancelled. It's a different battlefield, and simply updating with reduced RCS isn't going to change a thing. Heli operations are going to require different tactics and thinking.

Last edited:
When drug gangs and bored shitposters all have FPVs, do you really think there are environments that AC-130s can operate? (note visual target cognition is rapidly proliferating, and big flying thingy spamming tracers is not a difficult problem)

I guess there is uncontacted stone age people in the amazons
I'm not certain what altitudes AC-130s typically orbit at, but the sort of cheap drones those groups could access may not reach so high. But regardless the gunship is a very specific niche aircraft and its continued utility or lack-thereof is going to be determined by developments elsewhere. If we can develop and field DIRCM capable of spoofing much faster man-portable SAMs then doing the same to fry the optics of these slower drones is certainly within the realm of possibility. It seems like the greater problem is detecting them without the big thermal signature that comes from a rocket motor. But such solutions are going to be a necessity given the threat not just to military aircraft but anything taking off or landing on a known airfield. It's the same risk the proliferation of man-portable SAMs represents but far easier to obtain. And of course, those airfields are going to need their own systems just so everyone doesn't pilot kamikaze drones into millions of dollars' worth of parked aircraft.

When I see that it's clear why FARA was cancelled. It's a different battlefield, and simply updating with reduced RCS isn't going to change a thing. Heli operations are going to require different tactics and thinking.
As threatening to helicopters (or anything without sufficient support) as this present battlefield may be, I don't think abandoning new hardware that likely would be more adaptable to this environment was a smart choice. In my view trying to use something like FARA to work alongside and coordinate manned and unmanned assets makes more sense than giving that job to AH-64 crews who might be overloaded having to do that in addition to their primary task. More than ever before situational awareness is all-important, and designing a new rotorcraft with that in mind is probably more efficient.

As threatening to helicopters (or anything without sufficient support) as this present battlefield may be, I don't think abandoning new hardware that likely would be more adaptable to this environment was a smart choice. In my view trying to use something like FARA to work alongside and coordinate manned and unmanned assets makes more sense than giving that job to AH-64 crews who might be overloaded having to do that in addition to their primary task. More than ever before situational awareness is all-important, and designing a new rotorcraft with that in mind is probably more efficient.
Why would FARA crews be any less overloaded?

Attack helos seemed like overly expensive and vulnerable assets pre Ukraine war. It seems like the wrong time to double down. And ISR can likely be done for far less money and far less risk by unman platforms.

Russian Mi-8 hit by drone.
Another defeat of a Russian helicopter using FPV! Soldiers of the M2 unit of the Special Operations Center of the SBU in Kurshchyna were able to hit another Russian helicopter with your FPV. This time, the Mi-8 was hit in the tail by a drone with a powerful fragmentation warhead.
View: https://x.com/sternenko/status/1821819139213635602

Aftermath of Drone Strike on Lipetsk Airbase -- Over 700 Glide Bombs Destroyed in Ammo Dump​

Last edited: