Skyrocket Aerospace

The X-37 shows you don’t have to hide everything behind a cranked delta wing….still…

I never said it did...most of shuttle was on top of a Delta...X-37 has a somewhat more conventional tail

Early version of the "Blackhorse" design?

Randy
No, unrelated. It was an RL-10-powered vehicle to be carried by a large jet aircraft and then boost to orbit. I've never seen much on it. The diagram is, I'm sure, in at least one edition of Raymer Conceptual Design books, but it seems to be an edition I don't have.

Last edited:
I never said it did...most of shuttle was on top of a Delta...X-37 has a somewhat more conventional tail
No, not really. From the back side, the X-37 almost looks like the shuttle. The part of the fuselage that extends past the wing is like the shuttle tail flap.

The X-37 shows you don’t have to hide everything behind a cranked delta wing….still…
Additionally, you don't write how most people think and you make references that nobody else understands

"hide everything behind a...." So, does this mean that the fuselage of the X-37 extends past the delta wing, unlike the shuttle? or is it in reference to the payload bay location?

What could be the operational use of that "spaceplane"? I can make speculations only.

What could be the operational use of that "spaceplane"? I can make speculations only.
"Cheap" space launch. Just heard back from Dan Raymer; it was a 1991 design for Hudson. All I have now is the diagram; it seems that the entirety of the payload was the two crew. Unsurprising given that it's a relatively small LOX/LH2 vehicle.

This was before the X Prize, before the space launch boom/bust bubble later in the 90's.

"Cheap" space launch. Just heard back from Dan Raymer; it was a 1991 design for Hudson. All I have now is the diagram; it seems that the entirety of the payload was the two crew. Unsurprising given that it's a relatively small LOX/LH2 vehicle.

This was before the X Prize, before the space launch boom/bust bubble later in the 90's.

Any military kind of use???

Any military kind of use???
Presumably, though no reports on this design are currently available. But without much payload, it'd be something like the X-37 I suppose... assuming an unmanned variant. The crew and their capsule seem to consume the full payload potential of the vehicle.