Site asked for location

TomS

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
In Chrome.

This is the first time it has asked.

Not like that. It kicked out a prompt that read "secretprojects.co.uk wants to know your location." I blocked the request but it's an unusual prompt to get from this site so I thought I'd say something.

I've never seen that. It's never asked me for my location. Were you doing anything in particular at the time?

I've checked with the documentation, there's no function in Xenforo that should ask for HTML5 location.

Anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
Some sort of boneheaded population tracking application in development, authorised or otherwise? Or just a malware exploit?

I've never seen that. It's never asked me for my location. Were you doing anything in particular at the time?

Just browsing. I'd had the site closed for a while, then opened it and got that dialog. If it happens again I'll try to document it better.

It goes without saying I have zero interest in asking people for their location.

It goes without saying I have zero interest in asking people for their location.

I assumed so. Usually that prompt is associated with site advertising (not a factor here) or search tools. Anyway, not a huge problem but I wanted to say something just in case. If it happens again I'll let you know.

I assumed so. Usually that prompt is associated with site advertising (not a factor here) or search tools. Anyway, not a huge problem but I wanted to say something just in case. If it happens again I'll let you know.

Yes - I think I turned on something in Google Analytics at one point which started much more intrusive stuff. I turned it off again.

A quick stroll through the Google documentation reveals that they don’t explicitly say that requests for user location are enabled by default, but they do have a discussion about how to do it responsibly. :)

It is possible to disable at the browser end, but I find it useful for certain sites. I'd never allow it automatically though.