Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

Rest In Peace

:(

His ZX Spectrum was my first introduction to computing, getting that computer has shaped my life.

Sinclair's genius was of an unusual type: he managed to build electronic devices that others thought impossible, making calculators, computers and other devices cheaper than anyone else was able to. Part of that was costcutting, but he also found ways to eke more performance out of his electronics so he could do more with less.

If memory serves, he was the one who worked out that liquid crystal screens didn't need constant power to remain illuminated.

I had a similar memory about LED displays rather than LCD. I haven't been able to corroborate that, but I did find out that in his calculators, the entire electronics were run intermittently, which allowed them to reduce power consumption by 90%.

He had never pretended to be a businessman. He was an innovator, whose job was to spot opportunities and think up devices that people badly wanted but could not imagine. On top of that, he was a high-stakes poker-player. The C5 had been a good idea, and still was. So, on to the next thing.

By the way, it's not well known but he also designed a combat version of the C5.

Attachments

• -dalek1.jpg
    -dalek1.jpg
    484.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: