Sikorsky VSTOL/STOL Projects

Also I would add to the drag discussion that anything hanging out the side of the aircraft decreases the hover efficiency of the rotorcraft over time. USN has "traditionally" wanted hover endurance for rotorcraft working ASW efforts. In fairness that philosophy may have since been superseded.

That's why it is remarkable that the wb has moved from the belly to the flanks. We can notice an attention to bring an improvement in both airframe performances and serviceability.
If someone would have to make the history of this family of design, that would be an interesting point to notice...

I asked about these designs before,they were from Sikorsky;

Attachments

• 23.png
    23.png
    32.8 KB · Views: 83
  • S-1.png
    S-1.png
    259.7 KB · Views: 123
Unfortunately and as I expected,no caption for it,here is the file.

Attachments

• NEWS JULY 2010.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 61
@hesham : do you have anything more on this particular design, that you posted back in the days? I find it a really interesting one.

Tailless, WiG(?), cushion landing system, compact cargo... Looks like a 21st century Marines wet dream!

View attachment 690215
interesting idea - but, high disk loading, likely challenging lateral control, likely high weight fraction for the duct fans with shafting (from what source ?) or even if jet driven.

@yasotay : I don't think the disk is there for lift. I think it's there for high AoA/High lift regime such as allowing for STOL. That would be why also the vertical is placed there, under the wing, directly in the forced airstream.

One problem of delta is the separation of airflown in their tip section at a moderate AoA (it's a variable of airstream speed and chord length). With the fan, that section could see an attached airflow, allowing the entire wing to be tilted up to en entire new region of angle of attack.

But that can be also only for roll ctrl.

Notice that it is not a VTOL.

Edit:
I forgot to mention that the wing probably tilt up like that of a Vought F-8.

@hesham : thank you for the pdf. Although I haven't been able to open it on my mobile so far.

Last edited:
Here is a picture showed CARA of US.
The VTOL aircraft fitted with retractable Roto on dalso and tail for VTOL, while needing level fly, the roto will autometically retracte and stored in airframe for reducing drag. The power mianly rely on one Jet and fan engine each side.

From Flightglobal 1966,with drawings to show how the engines worked
in lift and cruise stages.

Attachments

• 20.png
    20.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 41