Sikorsky VS-316/R-4/Hoverfly I

hole in the ground

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hello again chaps. The title of this thread is my current interest. What I'm specifically trying to find at the moment is a cockpit layout. Lots of shots through the plexiglass but all from the front or directly from the side. So basically no detail whatsoever, I cannot discern from any info/pictures the instruments fitted to this aircraft, though there is a youtube video (i think) which states that there werent any flight instruments and that the pilot just had to rely on what he could see looking out! I guess that means no attitude indications and the like. Surely there must have been engine instruments, maybe a fuel guage...

Any help on this is as always very appreciated.

Regards

Not a very documented subject indeed. Here's what I have photowise:

Attachments

• YR-4B cutaway.gif
    YR-4B cutaway.gif
    422.2 KB · Views: 141
  • AC_HNS1_2_300.jpg
    AC_HNS1_2_300.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 125
  • cockpit1.jpg
    cockpit1.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 115
  • sik_r4b_16a.jpg
    sik_r4b_16a.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 24_Sikorsky_XR_4.jpg
    24_Sikorsky_XR_4.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 106
  • R-4B cockpit.jpg
    R-4B cockpit.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 25
rough 6 view from airwar.ru
sikr4b.html

photos found on a forum
http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=207399&view=findpost&p=2040778

finescale modeling forum...
http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/16/t/80537.aspx?sort=ASC&pi240=1

with...
ta da!

P1010102-1.jpg

so, instruments from left to right...
amps, fuel, OAT(?),cylinder temp, oil and fuel p's and t's?, manifold pressure, rpm, IAS, mag compass, bar alt.

I know that it is essentially a first of kind but that seems like a bit of a rubbish layout...

Ok so there are a couple of miscellaneous controls that im not sure about in this picture

P1010109.jpg

the throttles are on the collective and im guessing that the controls on the floor under it are going to be mixture and H (carb heat?) can anyone take a guess at the lever in front of the "quadrant"? I think that a rotor brake lever is shown in the last of Stargazer2006's pictures... Wheel brake maybe?