Sikorsky S-97 Raider

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_qaGV1XAAAiMeZ.jpg:large
http://forum.topwar.ru/uploads/monthly_2015_03/blade_runs.thumb.jpg.68ef9d49397fb42496532bf84691f496.jpg

Attachments

• B_qaGV1XAAAiMeZ.jpg large.jpg
    B_qaGV1XAAAiMeZ.jpg large.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 96
  • blade_runs.thumb.jpg.68ef9d49397fb42496532bf84691f496.jpg
    blade_runs.thumb.jpg.68ef9d49397fb42496532bf84691f496.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 128
Triton said:
yasotay said:
I find the sharks teeth a nice touch.

Let's hope Sikorsky paints the sharks teeth during final assembly. ;D

The shark teeth were put there by some technician in Aurora's West Virginia site, where the fuselage is manufactured. I've been told it's not paint, it's actually packing tape similar to what was used to protect the fuselage while in transport.
I agree it does look good...

AeroFranz said:
The shark teeth were put there by some technician in Aurora's West Virginia site, where the fuselage is manufactured. I've been told it's not paint, it's actually packing tape similar to what was used to protect the fuselage while in transport.

Levity aside, I would much prefer to see Prototype 2 with a chrome-plated spiner and general aviation paint rather than flat black or olive drab. Something to give us an idea of what the general aviation version of the Sikorsky S-97 Raider might look like.

Triton said:
AeroFranz said:

Levity aside, I would much prefer to see Prototype 2 with a chrome-plated spiner and general aviation paint rather than flat black or olive drab. Something to give us an idea of what the general aviation version of the Sikorsky S-97 Raider might look like.
S-97 is focused on the military market. Given its charcoal black finish, I would say it is very focused on a very tight segment of the military customer. The only one that does not have to go thorugh all of the regular processes. I would be surprised to see any other colors painted on an S-97 for a while. Next one I would bet on is orange Coast Guard colors.

yasotay said:
S-97 is focused on the military market. Given its charcoal black finish, I would say it is very focused on a very tight segment of the military customer. The only one that does not have to go thorugh all of the regular processes. I would be surprised to see any other colors painted on an S-97 for a while. Next one I would bet on is orange Coast Guard colors.

You're probably right, yasotay. Though I would absolutely love to see the "Commercial" version from this slide.

index.php

yasotay said:
I would be surprised to see any other colors painted on an S-97 for a while. Next one I would bet on is orange Coast Guard colors.

I'd place my bets on the unmanned version being the next one, and ultimately the most successful of the lot.

Skyblazer said:
I'd place my bets on the unmanned version being the next one, and ultimately the most successful of the lot.

I saw the RQ-97 in the slide from HeliExpo 2015. Would be very interesting to see if the Navy bites on a RQ-97-based Fire Scout-like unmanned rotorcraft. Plus, there was the Vertical Unmanned Aerial System (VUAS) requirement by the Marines and the Sikorsky video of operators aboard a V-22 Osprey operating X2-based drones.

We know that X2 Technology can be scaled up to the size of JMR-Medium.

Attachments

• X-2.png
    X-2.png
    293.5 KB · Views: 682
  • RQ-97.jpg
    RQ-97.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 810
Triton said:
Would be very interesting to see if the Navy bites on a RQ-97-based Fire Scout-like unmanned rotorcraft. Plus, there was the Vertical Unmanned Aerial System (VUAS) requirement by the Marines and the Sikorsky video of operators aboard a V-22 Osprey operating X2-based drones.

I was indeed thinking along the lines of a post-MQ-8C helo.

I know that JMR-Light had an expected introduction date of 2030. I wonder how much the S-97 Raider disrupts these plans or when Sikorsky was expecting to deliver orders.

Triton said:
I wonder how much the S-97 Raider disrupts these plans or when Sikorsky was expecting to deliver orders.

I seem to recall the year 2027 being mentioned early on, but I'm too lazy to go over all the old posts now!

Skyblazer said:
I seem to recall the year 2027 being mentioned early on, but I'm too lazy to go over all the old posts now!

If I recall correctly, that is the same year as the estimated introduction of JMR-Medium.

It would make a great UAS but I think some will balk at the cost.

yasotay said:

Sikorsky is betting that the customer is willing to pay a premium for speed, agility, and range. Are these attributes not desirable in a military VUAS and the customer is unwilling to pay more?

Triton said:
yasotay said:

Sikorsky is betting that the customer is willing to pay a premium for speed, agility, and range. Are these attributes not desirable in a military VUAS and the customer is unwilling to pay more?
The customer always wants more. They just don't want to pay for it. If the bank is not willing to give them the money for the better capability, well it won't happen. In this case the customer has not done a good job lately (20+ years) in getting the bank to think they have a clue as to what they need.

"Sikorsky outlines goals, timeline for S-97 flight test"
March 31, 2015

Source:
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/sikorsky-outlines-goals-timeline-for-s-97-flight-test-410761/

As Sikorsky continues to inch toward first flight of the S-97 Raider demonstrator, company officials have outlined the scope and duration of the flight test programme for the high-speed, compound helicopter.

Sikorsky has identified three key performance parameters for the S-97 to achieve over a roughly 1.5-year long flight test programme, says Chris Van Buiten, Sikorsky’s vice-president of engineering.

The flight test programme will seek to achieve a manoevrability record for a rotorcraft: a 3g-turn at a maximum speed of 220kt, Van Buiten says in an interview.

“That’s something a helicopter has kind of never done,” Van Buiten says.

The second goal is to fly at 220kt while carrying a full weapons load, he says.

Finally, the S-97 will attempt to demonstrate a new level of hover efficiency for a rotory wing aircraft, he says.

There is an aerodynamic metric known as the isolated rotor figure of merit. A score of 100 means the rotor system is using the rotor’s power as efficiently as theoretically possible. Most helicopter rotor systems are unable to exceed a score of 75, Van Buiten says. Sikorsky declines to reveal the desired score for the S-97, but Van Vuiten notes the company has demonstrated a score of up to 80.

Asset Image

The higher the score, the greater the performance of the vehicle in hover. Sikorsky wants to demonstrate that the S-97 can achieve a hover with a full weapons load at 6,000ft elevation with a temperature at 35 degrees Celsius (95 degrees Fahrenheit), Van Buiten says. With a reduced load, the S-97 also should be able to hover at 10,000ft at the same temperature hevel, he adds.

Sikorksy first demonstrated the coxial-compound, rigid-rotor configuration with the Collier Trophy-winning X2 prototype, which flew 23 test flights. The number of sorties for the S-97 will be slightly higher to demonstrate the full envelope for the aircraft.

What happens after Sikorsky completes the S-97 demonstration is unclear. The aircraft is too small to compete for the army’s Future Vertical Lift (FVL) requirement. The army is also eliminating its armed aerial scout fleet as part of a broader restructuring of the aviation branch, although army officials say the requirement for such a helicopter remains.

“Our job is to demonstrate a super-compelling option and show that it’s possible to have FVL-level technology much sooner than you thought,” Van Buiten says.. “Raider serves as a great risk reduction for that technology.”

I was hoping that Sikorsky would build a new S-97 Raider mock-up to match the configuration of the two prototypes for trade show and conference displays. Would be nice to see what the S-97 Raider now looks like on the inside.

I suspect that the real deal will be at most of the trade shows next year.

Triton said:
yasotay said:
I suspect that the real deal will be at most of the trade shows next year.

Hopefully we can get some photos of the interior of the aircraft.
Not sure that you would be excited by what you see. While it is likely glass and side arm controllers, because it is on an internal budget, I suspect there is a lot of reuse from other programs.

S-97 RAIDER Journey to First Flight

https://youtu.be/DHUc-rueOcQ
Code:
https://youtu.be/DHUc-rueOcQ

At 1:26 you get a quick glimpse of the cockpit. ;) :)

Attachments

• S-97 RAIDER Journey to First Flight.mp4_snapshot_01.25_[2015.05.14_23.04.13].jpg
    S-97 RAIDER Journey to First Flight.mp4_snapshot_01.25_[2015.05.14_23.04.13].jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 540
So it appears there are opposing cyclic grips, which to me means a central collective grip. Why? Because if you are going to do two collective grips then there is no reason for opposing cyclic grips.

sferrin said:
"Video is private".
Yes, IMHO Sikorsky Aircraft pulled back this video from their YT-Channel, because it gave a bit too much "glimpse" or it just was published at the wrong time. It will be probably republished later (e.g. just before first flight). In the meantime it might be uploaded to another YT-Channel.

fightingirish said:
sferrin said:
"Video is private".
Yes, IMHO Sikorsky Aircraft pulled back this video from their YT-Channel, because it gave a bit too much "glimpse" or it just was published at the wrong time. It will be probably republished later (e.g. just before first flight). In the meantime it might be uploaded to another YT-Channel.

I hope whoever re-uploads it gives us a head's up here. ;)

sferrin said:
I hope whoever re-uploads it gives us a head's up here. ;)
https://www.facebook.com/SikorskyAircraft/videos/vb.274850400769/10152815193630770/?type=3&video_source=pages_video_set

Thanks flateric! I suspect the suits at corporate were not happy with some of the honesty.

"We don't have some of the equipment."

" I hope my grandkids think a conventional helicopter looks funny."

Thanks for managing to post the video after it got privated on YouTube. The blurred out picture in the back-ground kind of intrigues me, judging from the little bit displayed it's a desert/mountainous environment background in the pic and some kind of aircraft. Anybody tried using a deblur software app on it?

John21 said:
Thanks for managing to post the video after it got privated on YouTube. The blurred out picture in the back-ground kind of intrigues me, judging from the little bit displayed it's a desert/mountainous environment background in the pic and some kind of aircraft. Anybody tried using a deblur software app on it?

0:13 in? I'll bet it's Bell's V-280. In fact it's this picture:

Attachments

• AAAA2013-FVL-Rear-Qtr-Attack.jpg
    AAAA2013-FVL-Rear-Qtr-Attack.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 331
LOL, why would they blur that out, maybe because it's a design from a competitor corporation?

John21 said:
LOL, why would they blur that out, maybe because it's a design from a competitor corporation?
Yep. No doubt some suit ordered it done.

John21 said:

Its still n an official Sikorsky site, just Facebook rather than YouTube.

As for the image, I imagine its a copyright issue. Bell is unlikely to grant permission for one of their copyrighted images to appear in a competitor's advertising video.

Published on May 20, 2015

In 1939, Igor Sikorsky revolutionized aviation with the VS-300 helicopter. Now, the company bearing his name is about to do it again with the S-97 RAIDER™

https://youtu.be/j2CJP78WkGs

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=1849

Raider news

“The first aircraft is going through ground runs right now. We’ll be flying within a two to three week timeframe,” Douglas Shidler, the head of Sikorsky’s joint multi-role technology demonstrator program, told National Defense May 19 at an industry conference in Tampa.

Source:
bobbymike said:
http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=1849

Raider news

Looks like it's missing some fairings. ??? (Yes, yes, I know that kind of thing isn't unusual during early tests. Just thought it interesting.)

Attachments

• Fairings.jpg
    Fairings.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 274
"Sikorsky S-97 RAIDER Helicopter Achieves Successful First Flight"

Source:
http://www.benzinga.com/news/15/05/5535497/sikorsky-s-97-raider-helicopter-achieves-successful-first-flight

Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., a United Technologies Corp. subsidiary, today announced the successful first flight of the S-97 RAIDER™ helicopter, a rigid coaxial rotor prototype designed to demonstrate a game-changing combination of maneuverability, hover ability, range, speed, endurance and survivability. The first flight was conducted at Sikorsky's Development Flight Center (DFC) where the two-prototype RAIDER™ helicopter test program is based.

"Sikorsky has a long tradition of pioneering new aviation technologies including the first practical helicopter. Today's first flight of the S-97 RAIDER represents the latest leap forward for Sikorsky, our customers, and the rotorcraft industry," said Sikorsky President Bob Leduc. "The industry has demanded high performance and high value from the products that execute critical missions, and, today, the RAIDER helicopter has given us an exciting look at the future of vertical flight."

During the first test flight, which lasted approximately an hour, RAIDER Pilot Bill Fell and Co-Pilot Kevin Bredenbeck took the aircraft through a series of maneuvers designed to test the aircraft's hover and low-speed capability. With first flight achieved, the RAIDER helicopter now moves into more progressive flight testing to demonstrate key performance parameters critical to future combat operations including armed reconnaissance, light assault, light attack and special operations.

The RAIDER helicopter program is part of the portfolio of Sikorsky Innovations, the technology development organization within Sikorsky Aircraft's Research & Engineering division.

"It is the Sikorsky Innovations charter to identify the toughest challenges in vertical flight, and to demonstrate solutions to them," said Mark Miller, Vice President of Research & Engineering. "Getting an all-new aircraft into flight, especially one with game-changing capabilities, is a remarkable feat. With this first flight of the S-97 RAIDER helicopter, Sikorsky Aircraft is proving once again that the tough challenges will always propel us forward."

"This exemplifies the very DNA of Sikorsky Aircraft: to explore, to challenge, to pioneer, and in doing so, to ultimately change what is possible for our customers," Miller said. "It is exciting that the S-97 RAIDER helicopter leverages a mix of evolutionary rotorcraft technologies that, when combined in this new way, results in revolutionary capability."

Sikorsky launched the S-97 RAIDER helicopter program in September 2010, with objectives of maturing the Collier-Award winning X2™ rotorcraft configuration and demonstrating a helicopter that meets current U.S. Army special operations and armed reconnaissance needs, while maturing technologies for Future Vertical Lift (FVL). The program is 100 percent industry-funded by Sikorsky Aircraft and its 53 industry partners.

Based on the X2 coaxial rotor design, the RAIDER™ helicopter is capable of being developed into a unique multi-mission configuration that is able to carry six troops and external weapons. The coaxial counter-rotating main rotors and pusher propeller are expected to provide cruise speeds up to 240 knots (276 mph).

"Based on the capabilities that were demonstrated today, Sikorsky is positioned to develop the S-97 RAIDER helicopter's game-changing capabilities to enable helicopter forces to out-perform on the battleground of tomorrow," said Samir Mehta, President of Sikorsky Defense Systems & Services. "With the Raider aircraft's unmatched combination of speed, maneuverability and acoustic signature, Sikorsky Aircraft is ideally positioned to provide the military with essential mission-specific capabilities. With this flight, we have started the demonstration of solutions to not only near-term capability gaps but also solutions for future vertical lift needs."

The second RAIDER helicopter prototype is on track to complete final assembly in 2015. A demonstration tour of the RAIDER helicopter is planned for 2016.

Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Connecticut, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Connecticut, provides high-technology systems and services to the building and aerospace industries. To learn more about UTC, visit the website at www.utc.com or follow the company on Twitter: @UTC.

This press release contains forward-looking statements concerning opportunities for development, production and sale of helicopters. Actual results may differ materially from those projected as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to changes in government procurement priorities and practices, budget plans, availability of funding and in the type and number of aircraft required; challenges in the design, development, production and support of advanced technologies; as well as other risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to those detailed from time to time in United Technologies Corporation's Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

Published on May 22, 2015

Our S-97 RAIDER™ helicopter successfully achieved its first flight at the Sikorsky Development Flight Center in West Palm Beach, Fla today! Congratulations to Chief Pilot Bill Fell, Co-pilot Kevin Bredenbeck and the entire RAIDER team.

https://youtu.be/j3njDrUtT8k