Sikorsky S-97 Raider

Sikorsky S-97 Raider brochure

Sikorsky S-97 Raider brochure found on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIKORSKY-S-97-RAIDER-HELICOPTER-BROCHURE-ATTACK-/231455524680?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35e3d30748

Attachments

• S97A.JPG
    S97A.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 67
  • S97B.JPG
    S97B.JPG
    237.3 KB · Views: 64
  • S97C.JPG
    S97C.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 61
Published on Feb 4, 2015

February 4, 2015 marks the start of bladed ground testing, a major milestone, for the S-97 RAIDER™ program. During the ground runs phase, the S-97 RAIDER team is testing the first of two aircraft prototypes as a completed system for the first time. The team will perform initial ground tests with the aircraft tied down and will focus on verifying correct operation of the propulsion system, drive train, rotor control system and pilot-vehicle interface.

http://youtu.be/CdBBwg0_hKg

"Sikorsky S-97 RAIDER™ Program Begins Ground Tests"

Source:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sikorsky-s-97-raider-program-begins-ground-tests-300030754.html

STRATFORD, Conn., Feb. 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX), today announced the start of bladed ground testing, a major milestone, for the S-97 RAIDER™ program. The RAIDER™ is an armed reconnaissance rotorcraft designed to significantly outmatch conventional military helicopters in maneuverability, payload, speed, range and high/hot environmental conditions.

"Testing all of the aircraft's systems together, for the first time, marks significant progress in the development of this next generation helicopter and moves the program closer to first flight," said S-97 RAIDER Program Manager Mark Hammond.

During the ground runs phase, the S-97 RAIDER team is testing the first of two aircraft prototypes as a completed system for the first time. The team will perform initial ground tests with the aircraft tied down and will focus on verifying correct operation of the propulsion system, drive train, rotor control system and pilot-vehicle interface.

This testing comes on the heels of the recent successful completion of software qualification testing, component fatigue testing, and gearbox testing, for the first S-97 RAIDER prototype.

Sikorsky launched the S-97 RAIDER program in October 2010 with the objectives of maturing the X2™ rotorcraft design and offering a helicopter to meet U.S. Army reconnaissance and special operations needs.

In addition to ground runs for the first prototype, the program team at Sikorsky's Development Flight Center in West Palm Beach, Florida, is prepared to begin final assembly of the second prototype S-97 RAIDER helicopter, following acceptance last month of the fuselage structure from Aurora Flight Sciences. Sikorsky rolled out the first prototype in October 2014.

Based on Sikorsky's rigid X2 rotor coaxial design, the S-97 RAIDER helicopter features next-generation technologies in a multi-mission configuration, capable of carrying six troops and external weapons. The coaxial counter-rotating main rotors and pusher propeller provide cruise speeds up to 220 knots (253 mph).

"We look forward to the opportunity to demonstrate the RAIDER's revolutionary performance and unmatched maneuverability for the U.S. Army," said Steve Engebretson, Director, Advanced Military Programs. "We're delivering on our promise to design and build a helicopter with performance capabilities not seen before."

The S-97 RAIDER helicopter demonstrator program is 100 percent industry-funded. Sikorsky provides 75 percent of the investment and the suppliers provide the remaining funding. Sikorsky's goal is to attract government interest in the program.

Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., based in Stratford, Connecticut, is a world leader in helicopter design, manufacture and service. United Technologies Corp., based in Hartford, Connecticut, provides high technology products and services to the building and aerospace industries.

This press release contains forward-looking statements concerning opportunities for development, production and sale of helicopters. Actual results may differ materially from those projected as a result of certain risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to changes in government procurement priorities and practices, budget plans, availability of funding and in the type and number of aircraft required; challenges in the design, development, production and support of advanced technologies; as well as other risks and uncertainties, including but not limited to those detailed from time to time in United Technologies Corporation's Securities and Exchange Commission filings.

Triton said:
Can't wait for the Army to place orders with Sikorsky! ;D

Are any of these next gen systems considering a helmet system with DATS like the F-35? Being able to "look through" a helicopter when landing would be one of many advantages.

bobbymike said:
Are any of these next gen systems considering a helmet system with DATS like the F-35? Being able to "look through" a helicopter when landing would be one of many advantages.

The articles that I have read suggest that the Army is looking at this for Joint Multi Role/Future Vertical Lift. I have not read if Sikorsky intends to leverage avionics developed for JMR/FVL in the production S-97 Raider.

Can Sikorsky deliver the S-97 Raider at the promised price point with next-generation avionics and sensors and keep the emphasis on affordability?

I'm sure that Sikorsky would be more than happy to include Raytheon ADAS in the production S-97 Raider if the customer was willing to pay for it.

My understanding is Sikorsky is developing the "Helicopter." Any add on systems would be additional costs based on what the end user wants for specific missions, because Sikorsky knows most programs get bogged down in the systems side of development. I'm not saying it won't have any systems, but they will be systems just to support the basic platform, at least that's my understanding. As such, I don't see them having any problems coming in close to their projected costs. They're being very smart about the development of the S-97.

Sundog said:
My understanding is Sikorsky is developing the "Helicopter." Any add on systems would be additional costs based on what the end user wants for specific missions, because Sikorsky knows most programs get bogged down in the systems side of development. I'm not saying it won't have any systems, but they will be systems just to support the basic platform, at least that's my understanding. As such, I don't see them having any problems coming in close to their projected costs. They're being very smart about the development of the S-97.

Posted in the X2 forum: http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2768.msg236194.html#msg236194

fly-away cost $15 million a copy... *current estimate for anticipated baseline configuration at full rate production.

BR Michael

Triton said:
I'm sure that Sikorsky would be more than happy to include Raytheon ADAS in the production S-97 Raider if the customer was willing to pay for it.

Exactly. The $15 million per aircraft figure I've seen thrown around for the S-97 has been cited as both with and without mission equipment, so that's anyone's guess, really. I'm sure the baseline cost doesn't include advanced systems like ADAS.

I believe that Sikorsky still needs to convince future customers that X2 Technology is reliable, robust, and mature. That the S-97 is a production prototype rather than an experimental compound rotorcraft. That the rotorcraft won't suffer the same problems as the S-69 Advancing Blade Concept demonstrator.

Triton said:
I believe that Sikorsky still needs to convince future customers that X2 Technology is reliable, robust, and mature. That the S-97 is a production prototype rather than an experimental compound rotorcraft. That the rotorcraft won't suffer the same problems as the S-69 Advancing Blade Concept demonstrator.
Are you sure S-97 is a "production prototype" and not a "proof of principle" rotorcraft? Don't know that I have seen "production" and "prototype" put together by Sikorsky when talking about the aircraft. I doubt seriously that they can deliver an integrated reconnaissance/attack compound rotorcraft for $15M.
The Army is expecting to spend a sizable chunk of money this next year on brand new Apache, Blackhawk and Chinook. Unless Sikorsky can get the Office of the Secretary of Defense excited about a charcoal black helicopter wizzing by sounding like a F1 race car I don't see anything happening for several years. Of course if the Special Operations community has their eye on it, then I expect you will see a production effort. Then the Army will show up clutching its cap and look at their feet while asking Congress if they could have some of those too ... please.

yasotay said:
Are you sure S-97 is a "production prototype" and not a "proof of principle" rotorcraft? Don't know that I have seen "production" and "prototype" put together by Sikorsky when talking about the aircraft. I doubt seriously that they can deliver an integrated reconnaissance/attack compound rotorcraft for $15M.
The Army is expecting to spend a sizable chunk of money this next year on brand new Apache, Blackhawk and Chinook. Unless Sikorsky can get the Office of the Secretary of Defense excited about a charcoal black helicopter wizzing by sounding like a F1 race car I don't see anything happening for several years. Of course if the Special Operations community has their eye on it, then I expect you will see a production effort. Then the Army will show up clutching its cap and look at their feet while asking Congress if they could have some of those too ... please.

When Sikorsky throws the words "production-ready" and "prototype" around when describing the S-97 Raider and calls the retired Sikorsky X2 the "proof-of-concept vehicle", how else would a layperson and reader of the aviation press describe the S-97 Raider? "Proof-of-principle", "Experimental", and "Demonstrator" are not words and phrases coming out of the marketing department of Sikorsky Aircraft to describe the S-97 Raider. If I am mistaken, it is because I have been intentionally misled by Sikorsky. You may very well be right, yasotay, that we won't see anything come down the production line for several years.

There is also the question of whether Sikorsky still intends to offer X2 Technology in its civilian rotorcraft product lines and when this introduction will occur.

In fairness Sikorsky did they tout the S-97 as "the future of Army Aviation" at the roll out. There is little doubt that Sikorsky is doing everything it can to get the U.S.Army to come up with a reason to launch the aircraft.

Their (Sikorsky's) greatest challenge is that the aircraft may weights more than the aircraft it would be replacing. The government buys by the pound. So do many civil organizations. So while the aircraft has some very good characteristics (speed, maneuverability) if it is not more fuel efficient and lower maintenance than current systems (i.e. total operating costs) it will be a hard sell commercially. I suspect the military is going to trend in that direction as well.

Photo of Sikorsky S-97 Raider during bladed ground run testing.

Source:
http://www.doppeladler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3059&p=42575

Attachments

• Sikorsky S-97 Engine Test.jpg
    Sikorsky S-97 Engine Test.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 541
yasotay said:
...Their (Sikorsky's) greatest challenge is that the aircraft may weights more than the aircraft it would be replacing. The government buys by the pound. So do many civil organizations. So while the aircraft has some very good characteristics (speed, maneuverability) if it is not more fuel efficient and lower maintenance than current systems (i.e. total operating costs) it will be a hard sell commercially. I suspect the military is going to trend in that direction as well.

...may weigh more? Twice as much! :eek:

Raider vs. Arapaho:

Capacity: 6 troops / 6 troops
Empty weight: -------- / 2600lb
Max. T/O weight: 10400lb / 5000lb
Power plant: 1900kW / 723kW
Rotor diameter: 34ft(2x) / 35ft(1x)

It seems the Raider is a little powerhouse. However, I was wondering how much a advanced X2 coaxial rotor design can compensate the higher gross weight (disc loading).

Does anyone know the empty weight of the Raider? Probably 5000lb?

BR Michael

The comparison line drawings give the impression that the Sikorsky S-97 Raider is larger than the Airbus Helicopters UH-72A Lakota. Probably the reason why Sikorsky calls it a light tactical helicopter rather than a scout.

Screen grabs from the Sikorsky video of S-97 Raider bladed ground run testing.

Source:
http://kappa352.egloos.com/m/1213526

Attachments

• f0245050_54d5ace45e0ee.jpg
    f0245050_54d5ace45e0ee.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 71
  • f0245050_54d5ace39eb6c.jpg
    f0245050_54d5ace39eb6c.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 51
  • f0245050_54d5ace2f2ef5.jpg
    f0245050_54d5ace2f2ef5.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 366
  • f0245050_54d5ace269069.jpg
    f0245050_54d5ace269069.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 382
  • f0245050_54d5ace1bdfad.jpg
    f0245050_54d5ace1bdfad.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 407
  • f0245050_54d5ace11b9eb.jpg
    f0245050_54d5ace11b9eb.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 444
Triton said:
The comparison line drawings give the impression that the Sikorsky S-97 Raider is larger than the Airbus Helicopters UH-72A Lakota. Probably the reason why Sikorsky calls it a light tactical helicopter rather than a scout.

Where did you see that comparison drawing? I can't seem to find it, but I'm probably missing something obvious.

Thanks.

TomS said:
Where did you see that comparison drawing? I can't seem to find it, but I'm probably missing something obvious.

Thanks.

Slide from a Sikorsky presentation that allows you to get an idea of the size of the S-97 Raider to the Airbus Helicopters (Eurocopter) UH-72 Lakota, MD Helicopters (Hughes) MH-6M Little Bird, and the Bell OH-58D Kiowa Warrior.

index.php

Source:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9786.msg203539.html#msg203539

I am certain that I posted the complete Sikorsky presentation here on the Secret Projects Forum, just not sure which of the many active topics we currently have that I posted it in. Let me look for it.

Found it! The Sikorsky presentation from which the slide above was taken.

Source:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2768.msg166982.html#msg166982

index.php

"Sikorsky Assembling Second Raider"
by Mark Huber
March 2, 2015

Source:
http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/defense/2015-03-02/sikorsky-assembling-second-raider

ikorsky has begun final assembly of its second S-97 Raider prototype compound helicopter. Sikorsky is campaigning the S-97 in the Pentagon's Joint Multi-Role Technology Demonstrator (JMR-TD) program as part of the Defense Department's Future Vertical Lift initiative to develop future helicopter technologies. Sikorsky is funding 75 percent of S-97 costs with the remainder being contributed by supplier partners including Aurora Flight Sciences, builder of the aircraft's fuselage. The 220-knot S-97 features a coaxial main rotor system and an aft thruster and is based on Sikorsky's experimental X2 design. The S-97 is designed to replace current armed reconnaissance rotorcraft. The first S-97 is currently undergoing powered ground testing in expectation of a first flight later this year. The second prototype will be used for customer demonstration flights.

Ground testing on the first prototype began in February at Sikorsky's facility in West Palm Beach, Fla. Sikorsky rolled that aircraft out in October and has successfully completed software qualification testing, component fatigue testing, and gearbox testing. Ground testing includes verifying the propulsion system, drive train, rotor control system, and pilot-vehicle interface with the aircraft tied down.

Sikorsky is developing other technologies that could eventually find their way onto the Raider. They include the Aircrew Labor In-Cockpit Automation System (ALIAS) for the Defense Advances Research Projects Agency (DARPA). Sikorsky recently announced it had received an $8 million DARPA contract for Phase 1 of the program designed to develop and insert new automation into existing aircraft to enable operation with reduced crew. Sikorsky plans to leverage its Matrix Technology to test and field systems and software that significantly improve the capability, reliability, and safety for autonomous, optionally piloted VTOL aircraft by adding systems intelligence to rotary and fixed wing aircraft to enable them to complete complex missions with “minimal human oversight.”

Sikorsky is partnering with the United Technologies Research Center, the National Robotics Engineering Center, and Veloxiti, Inc. to demonstrate the value of applying autonomous technology to a variety of different aircraft including the UH-60 Black Hawk.

Sikorsky fitted an S-76 with fly-by-wire controls and Matrix in 2013 to create the Sikorsky Autonomous Research Aircraft (SARA) flying test lab used for rapid testing of software and hardware. Working with the U.S. Army in 2014, Sikorsky used a UH-60 modified for autonomous flight as part of the Manned Unmanned Resupply Aerial Lifter (MURAL) program.

If I'm to trust the pictures released so far, it seems that the most part of the airframe is taken up by the engine and mechanical installations.

I could be wrong, but to me this points towards "proof-of-concept" rather than "production prototype". Otherwise, the payload would be ridiculous, especially with already double the weight empty!

Stephen Trimble said:
Sikorsky shows potential variants of the S-97 coaxial-compound helo, including "Corporate Raider".
Source: https://twitter.com/FG_STrim/status/573127054268477440

Attachments

• Sikorsky_S-97 Variants_Stephen_Trimble_HAI_EXPO_2015.jpg
    Sikorsky_S-97 Variants_Stephen_Trimble_HAI_EXPO_2015.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 2,004
fightingirish said:
Stephen Trimble said:
Sikorsky shows potential variants of the S-97 coaxial-compound helo, including "Corporate Raider".
Source: https://twitter.com/FG_STrim/status/573127054268477440

Nice find, fightingirish.

I wonder if the "Corporate Raider" will be competing with the Airbus Helicopters H145, formerly Eurocopter EC145.

Triton said:
I am certain that I posted the complete Sikorsky presentation here on the Secret Projects Forum, just not sure which of the many active topics we currently have that I posted it in. Let me look for it.
Yup, it is around here somewhere - I remember (and thanks for posting it).

A frame grab from a Sikorsky promotion video for the S-97 Raider. I thought it was cool, so I shared it.

Source:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2h7qeh

Attachments

• 1280x720-HvM.jpg
    1280x720-HvM.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 766
Photo of arrival of second prototype fuselage.

Source:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sikorsky-97-raider-team-begins-120000582.html

IMAGE REMOVED: Larger photograph later in this topic.

I find the sharks teeth a nice touch.

Larger photograph of the arrival of the second Sikorsky S-97 Raider fuselage from Aurora Flight Sciences.

Source:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/sikorsky-s-97-raider-team-begins-final-assembly-of-second-aircraft-300044700.html

Attachments

• 179214.jpg
    179214.jpg
    985.7 KB · Views: 467
Skyblazer said:
If I'm to trust the pictures released so far, it seems that the most part of the airframe is taken up by the engine and mechanical installations.

I could be wrong, but to me this points towards "proof-of-concept" rather than "production prototype". Otherwise, the payload would be ridiculous, especially with already double the weight empty!

The passenger compartment starts just forward of the open panel in that test picture. I'm pretty sure it fits the advertised payload, though it might be very tight with six bodies back there. (as in the linked image)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sikorsky_S-97_Raider_Crew_Cabin_MacDill_AirFest_5Oct2011_(14676646046).jpg

No question this aircraft has a lot more mechanical weight and volumes than a pure helo of the same capacity -- I think that's part and parcel to the need for high speed. You can either hang that extra bulk out at the wingtips (in a tiltrotor) or pack it into the fuselage (as in a pusher configuration).

TomS said:
Skyblazer said:

The passenger compartment starts just forward of the open panel in that test picture. I'm pretty sure it fits the advertised payload, though it might be very tight with six bodies back there. (as in the linked image)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Sikorsky_S-97_Raider_Crew_Cabin_MacDill_AirFest_5Oct2011_(14676646046).jpg

No question this aircraft has a lot more mechanical weight and volumes than a pure helo of the same capacity -- I think that's part and parcel to the need for high speed. You can either hang that extra bulk out at the wingtips (in a tiltrotor) or pack it into the fuselage (as in a pusher configuration).

The Sikorsky S-97 Raider looks a lot like the Whispercraft from the motion picture The Sixth Day.

Sikorsky intends the S-97 Raider as a multi-mission craft that will act as a replacement for the US Army’s OH-58D Kiowa Warrior helicopter or the Special Forces’ MH-6 Little Bird. Depending on how it’s equipped, it can be used for armed reconnaissance, light attack, light assault, search and rescue, or casualty evacuation.

To achieve this, the S-97 has a composite fuselage for a takeoff weight of 11,000 lb (4,990 kg) and is powered by a single General Electric YT706 engine putting out 2,600 bhp (1,900 kW). Its length of 35 ft (11 m) and rotor diameter of 34 ft (10 m) gives it a 15 percent smaller footprint than conventional helicopters, though it can still carry a crew of two seated side by side, along with six troops or extra fuel and munitions. The production version may also be capable of autonomous flight

Sikorsky says that the S-97 Raider has a cruising speed of 253 mph (407 km/h, 220 kn), which is more than double the speed of conventional helicopters, and pulls three G’s in the turns for greater agility. It has a range of 308 nmi (354 mi, 570 km), flight endurance of 2hr 40min, and a service ceiling of 10,000 ft (3,048 m).

I don't believe that the increased speed, agility, and range of the Sikorsky S-97 Raider comes cheaply. It's a Bell OH-58D Kiowa Warrior and MD Helicopters MH-6 Little Bird replacement that has greater mass than the Airbus Helicopters UH-72 Lakota. Certainly, carbon fiber construction materials will reduce the weight of the Sikorsky X2-family of compound rotorcraft over materials currently used to manufacture helicopters. I haven't seen any figures for fuel economy, but I presume that the design is a fuel guzzler as part of the price premium for increased speed and agility.

Source:
http://www.fantastic-plastic.com/sixthDay_002.jpg
http://raider.sikorsky.com/ui/images/IMG_8680RCS.JPG
https://cbshartford.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/s-97-raider.jpg
http://www.gizmag.com/sikorsky-s-97-raider-helicopter-prototype/34099/

Attachments

• sixthDay_002.jpg
    sixthDay_002.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_8680RCS.JPG
    IMG_8680RCS.JPG
    192.3 KB · Views: 360
  • s-97-raider.jpg
    s-97-raider.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 74
Compound rotorcraft are vehicles for time-critical applications. How much interior volume do you need for most civilian law enforcement, search and rescue (SAR), and air ambulance applications? No one is going to talk about the fuel economy of compound rotorcraft. You pay a premium for the increased speed and agility in applications where time matters. Sikrosky S-97 Raider is a full-sized racing car, not a minivan.

If you operate an Air Ambulance service, which rotorcraft do you want to rush someone who has been seriously injured with life-threatening injuries in a collision to the emergency room (casualty ward)?

Correct, I think ! And here's a little cheating in Sikorskys public relations campaign, showing
the Raider as a Jack-of-all-trades. Just think of it as a Coast Guard aircraft, whinching up
sailors from a stricken ship. A conventional heli perhaps could take 8 to 10, the Raider perhaps
4 to 5 ? Would the additional speed be enough to justify "bye-bye, we'll come back" to the rest ?
It's an aircraft for a niche market, the high end of the field, in which helicopters are needed,
whereas the low end is the autogyro, I think.

Jemiba said:
Correct, I think ! And here's a little cheating in Sikorskys public relations campaign, showing
the Raider as a Jack-of-all-trades. Just think of it as a Coast Guard aircraft, whinching up
sailors from a stricken ship. A conventional heli perhaps could take 8 to 10, the Raider perhaps
4 to 5 ? Would the additional speed be enough to justify "bye-bye, we'll come back" to the rest ?
It's an aircraft for a niche market, the high end of the field, in which helicopters are needed,
whereas the low end is the aotogyro, I think.

*sniff* :'(

Attachments

• Darpa-Heliplane_large.jpg
    Darpa-Heliplane_large.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 58