Sikorsky Lesser Known Aircraft,non-Aircraft and Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

here is a Sikorsky lesser known designs,at first a flying torpedo,second the D-3 bomber
which was derivative of Ilya Muromets,third was low-wing four engined medium transport
aircraft project and the fourth was a mail carrier version of S-35,also remained a project.

Сикорский_Политехника 2003

Attachments

• Torpedo.png
    Torpedo.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 665
  • D-3.png
    D-3.png
    291.6 KB · Views: 689
  • Airliner.png
    Airliner.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 659
  • S-35 mail carrier.png
    S-35 mail carrier.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 638
I believe this topic to be rather redundant I'm afraid.

The torpedo (planned to be carried under the "Ilya Muromets" class of bombers) may be a little hard to classify, but the others could have easily been added to existing threads of this forum.
  • There is no such thing as a "Sikorsky D-3". It is the "Ilya Muromets D-3" variant.
  • The airliner was the object of a specific topic a couple of years ago... and in fact I posted the same plan there way back then.
  • The single-engine S-35 was the early, unbuilt version that was replaced by the trimotor one. I can't remember for sure but I wouldn't be surprised if this one was already posted in the S-35 topic too...

My dear Skyblazer,

of course the D-3 is not a design,but as I said a derivative or a variant of Ilya Muromets,
and for the airliner and S-35,I search about them,but I can't find them in Early Aircraft
Projects section.

hesham said:
My dear Skyblazer,

of course the D-3 is not a design,but as I said a derivative or a variant of Ilya Mumorets,
and for the airliner and S-35,I search about them,but I can't find them in Early Aircraft
Projects section.

The Ilya Muromets (not Mumorets) series of bombers were not designated when Sikorsky was still in Russia but apparently received S- designations retrospectively.

S-22 applied to the basic Ilya Muromets version, the float version and the Ilya Muromets B series.
S-23 was the Ilya Muromets V series.
S-24 was the Ilya Muromets G series.
S-25 was the Ilya Muromets D series.
S-26 was the Ilya Muromets E series.
S-27 was the Ilya Muromets J series (J-3 was the French Avion Atlas or Atlantic bomber).

D-3 was the last in the "D" series. Thirteen Ilya Muromets D-1 were built, two of which were modified as D-2 and D-3, respectively. There would be a lot to be said about these many (and very different) versions of the I. M. series, but they really deserve a topic of their own.

The airliner can be found in the following topic, and was identified in this particular post:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21139.msg211458.html#msg211458

The reason you couldn't find it is probably that the title for the topic was never changed (can a moderator do it? Thanks).

Also, while checking the forum for this reply, I realized that Maveric had posted the same plan elsewhere before I did!
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,655.msg145596.html#msg145596

A topic about the S-35 and S-37 biplanes has been created. It can be found here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24558.0

I heard about the Sikorski S-19 (year 1916), claimed to be the first purpose built ground attack plane in Russia.

Hi Avisvirtusvoluntas,

frankly I don't know,but that's never mentioned in the book,the Osprey Encyclopedia
of Russian Aircraft.

visvirtusvoluntas said:
I heard about the Sikorski S-19 (year 1916), claimed to be the first purpose built ground attack plane in Russia.

hesham said:
frankly I don't know,but that's never mentioned in the book,the Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft.

No mystery here, the S-XIX (S-19) "Dvukhvostka" ("diplura" in English, a family of insect-like creatures) is a well-identified Sikorsky type. Here are a few photos of it:

Attachments

• Dvukhvostka S-19.gif
    Dvukhvostka S-19.gif
    343.3 KB · Views: 167
  • sik_s-19.jpg
    sik_s-19.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 136
  • s-19-sh1p175.jpg
    s-19-sh1p175.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 121
  • s19-i.jpg
    s19-i.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 68-2.jpg
    68-2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 68-1.jpg
    68-1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 414
My dear Slyblazer,

I know the aircraft,but if it was the first ground attack aircraft in Russian,that's I can't
answer about it.

hesham said:
My dear Slyblazer,

I know the aircraft,but if it was the first ground attack aircraft in Russian,that's I can't
answer about it.

In fact this is my question. I found this information during my research about early "Samolety Polya Boya".

visvirtusvoluntas said:
'The Imperial Russian Air Service' by Alan Durkota / Thomas Darcey / Victor Kulikov, Flying Machines Press, 1996, *very* briefly mentions 'several sources have hinted the S-19 was intended to be a heavy ground-attack aircraft'. Unfortunately, the authors don't mention which sources.
Two water-cooled 150hp Sunbeam engines; one driving a tractor propeller, the other a pusher propeller.

visvirtusvoluntas said:
hesham said:
My dear Slyblazer,

answer about it.

In fact this is my question. I found this information during my research about early "Samolety Polya Boya".

From the same source (picture S-19) V.Mikheyev, G.Katyshev "Sikorsky" str.255-257:
"... The whole layout of the S-19 was thought to increase survivability and effective application. Machine guns were mounted in front of both cabins. Designated crew were armored ...
S-19 had all the distinctive qualities Sturmovik: powerful weapons, armor and layout for maximum vitality and invincibility of the aircraft. ... There was also a three-motor version - S-19 bis. In order to improve the flight characteristics Sunbeam third engine was installed on the center of the upper wing. (Probably with a pusher propeller -A.B.) Management is now in both cabins. Armament consisted of six guns - turrets and stationary, and underwing bomb racks. Armoured has been strengthened. ...
It was the first domestic attack aircraft and one of the first in the world. "
It is fair to mention another source - publishing department TsAGI - "Aircraft in the Soviet Union 1917-1945. Volume 1" - where the idea of ​​creating a ground-attack aircraft to attack ground targets in Russia belongs to the designer A.Porohovschikov (more like a concept) in 1914 issued the to the test plane "Би-Кок"/"Bi-Cock", having armored cockpit bottom, machine gun and a device for dropping bombs.
http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other1/bikok.html
/Google translation/

From Le Fana 382,

a Sikorsky S-17,S-18,S-19 & S-20 Profiles.

Attachments

• a.png
    a.png
    205.7 KB · Views: 139
From this Russian book,

Helicopter I. I. Sikorsky VS-300 (first version).

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    198.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 0.png
    0.png
    471.4 KB · Views: 45
This thread includes Sikorsky "non-aircraft" projects, so...

Sikorsky Assault Support Patrol Boat:
1685851564954.png

Sikorsky TurboTrain:
1685851631231.png

Back
Top Bottom