Siemens-Schuckert aircraft

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Hi!
Siemens-Schuckert Forssman "R".
When the Germans first encountered the Russian giants Ilya Muromets at the front, the Germans attempted to copy the machine in the autumn of 1914. Swedish engineer Forsmann at Siemens-Shukkert began construction of a four-engine aircraft, completely repeating the design of the Sikorsky spacecraft. The aircraft was tested in May 1915, but was deemed unsuccessful. The 110-strong engines were too weak, and Forsmann's chosen wing extension was not enough for a normal flight.

When its performance proved inadequate for its intended role, even after numerous modifications, the German Inspectorate of Flying Troops eventually accepted it into service as a trainer. Shortly after its acceptance into military service, the aircraft's fuselage fractured while on the ground, ending its career.

Crew: 4+
Length : 16.5 m, Wingspan : 24 m, Wing area : 140 square meter,
Empty weight : 4,000 kg, Gross weight : 5,200 kg
Powerplant : 2 × Mercedes D.III, 82 kW (110 hp) each
2 × Mercedes D.Ⅳa, 164 kW (220 hp) each (after modification)
Maximum speed : 120 km/h, Rate of climb: 1.15 m/s
Siemens-Schuckert-01-04.jpg Siemens-Schuckert-01-13.jpg
90-1.jpg
92-2.jpg
92-4.jpg

Last edited:
From the book; The German Giants.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    76.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 2.png
    2.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 3.png
    3.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 4.png
    4.png
    81.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 5.png
    5.png
    169.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 6.png
    6.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 7.png
    7.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 55
Hi! R.Ⅰprototype bomber. Only one built. Everything are unique.

SIEMENS-SCHUCKERT R-I
When the Germans first encountered the Russian giants Ilya Muromets at the front, the Germans attempted to copy the machine in the autumn of 1914. Swedish engineer Forsmann at Siemens-Shukkert began construction of a four-engine aircraft, completely repeating the design of the Sikorsky spacecraft. The aircraft was tested in May 1915, but was deemed unsuccessful. The 110-strong engines were too weak, and Forsmann's chosen wing extension was not enough for a normal flight.
In December 1914, brothers Franz and Bruno Steffen on the same firm designed a giant airplane completely different, original scheme. The device looked very peculiar: a high fuselage with a large glazed cabin was split in the back like a swallow's tail. The triangular cross-sections of the beams narrowing to the ends were connected by racks and braces.
Three Benz engines were placed inside the fuselage and rotated through a complex transmission system two large-diameter propellers mounted in front of the wings. Special clutch clutches allowed to disable any of the engines.
The frame of the aircraft was made of wood and thin-walled steel pipes. The cladding of the front and central part of the fuselage is dural, on the rest of the surfaces - the canvas. Crew - 4 people: 2 pilots and 2 mechanics.
The aeroplane, called the Siemens-Shukkert G-I, first took off in May 1915. Later, due to the advent of the category "R" the aircraft was renamed R-I. Tests have shown that he can fly, but the technical data (even without bombs) were extremely low. The device was used only for experiments and training purposes.

R I. Serial R 1/15. Engines, three 150 h.p. Benz Bz III. Span. 28 m. (91 ft. 10 1/2 in.). Length, 17.5 m. (57 ft. 5 1/8 in.). Height, 5.2 m. (17 ft. 3/4 in.). Area, 138 sq.m. (1,490 sq.ft.). Weights: Empty, 4,000 kg (8,800 lb.). Loaded, 5,200 kg. (11,440 lb.). Speed, 110 km.hr. (68.75 m.p.h.). Climb, 2,000 m. (6,560 ft.) in 35 min. Duration, 4 hr. Notes: First flew May 1915, accepted July 1915. Tried at the Front, but not operational. Trainer only.
R1 three side view 1.jpg R1 three side view 2.jpg R.1 engine propeller arrangement.jpg 13-2R1.jpg 16-Siemens_R-s R1.jpg 95-3R1.jpg Siemens_RI_4.jpg

Last edited:
From R.Ⅱto R.Ⅶ are almost same shape.
So next one is the Siemens-Schuckert R.VIII six engine night bomber with tracter/pusher four propeller.
Ground trials began in 1919, after the armistice but were interrupted by a gearbox failure which resulted in a propeller breaking up and causing extensive damage. The second airframe, R24/16, was never completed and the first was not repaired after the ground running accident due to the restrictions of the Treaty of Versailles. At the time of its completion the Siemens-Schuckert R.VIII was the largest aeroplane in the world; (the Mannesman-Poll triplane was to have been much larger but was not completed before the Versailles Treaty came into force).
Crew : 6+, Length : 21.6 m, Wingspan : 48 m, Height : 7.4 m, Wing area : 440 m2
Empty weight : 10,478 kg, Gross weight : 15,867 kg, Powerplant : 6 × Basse und Selve BuS.IVa 6-cyl. water-cooled in-line piston engines, 220 kW (300 hp) each
Propellers : tractor 900 rpm - 2 bladed, pusher 700 rpm - 4-bladed
Maximum speed : 125 km/h, Range : 900 km (estimated),
Service ceiling: 4,000 m (estimated)
107-1.jpg 107-2.jpg 108-2.jpg 109-2.jpg sswr8-4.jpg sswr8-2.jpg sswr8-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hi! S.S.W Kann R-plane project. This aircraft had steam generator, steam turbine and steam turbine drive propeller.
In 1918, SSW became interested in the unique project of the engineer Kann: an R-class aircraft equipped with steam turbines. Two oil steam generators were to be located in the fuselage, the steam was fed to four mounted in the monoplan wing of the turbine and with the help of transmissions powered at 800 rpm four pulling propellers. There also had to be some form of condenser blocks to return steam, but in the picture they are not shown.
It was estimated that the four turbines would develop a total of 3,000 hp, and in the wing tanks to have enough fuel oil to perform the flight within 5 1/2 hours. The 500-square-metre wing also housed compartments for 3,000 kg of bombs. The total weight of the device was to be 25,000 kg.
I add steam piston engine aircraft example.

112-1.jpg

"Steam is is not the right engine for aircraft. Most steam enthusiasts cannot separate engineering fact from dreams and fantasy."

"For capacities in excess of 1000 horse power a turbine captures the energy released by the expansion of steam more efficiently than a piston.
Thus, the steam reciprocating engine turned out to be unsuitable for scaling up to the needs of large aircraft. "

besler-drawing.jpg
Besler.jpg

Last edited:
SSW R.IX passenger plane project
The successor to R.VIII was to be SSW R.IX, which was in the design phase during the armistice. Idflieg (Inspektion der Fliegertruppen, Inspection of the air force) has already assigned the project the military number 204/16, as the aircraft began to be developed as a bomber. SSW changed the project into a passenger plane capable of carrying thirty-six people, including the crew.
As a passenger transport, the R.IX was divided into two decks. The lower deck contained a luggage nose compartment, followed by a large engine compartment with eight 300-horsepower Basse und Selve BuS.IVa engines. Pulling and pushing screws were driven by four engines, each bound by a common transmission - the same as the R.VIII was equipped with thrusting screws. The combined buffet and lounge was located behind the engine room and included a staircase leading upstairs to the rear passenger deck. Seats for twenty-four passengers were placed in two rows, separated by a passageway to provide access.
111-1.jpg

Hi! DDr.Ⅰ. 
In the middle of the First World War in Germany among aircraft manufacturers began the fashion for the creation of triplans. Siemens-Schuckert Werke was not left out. In 1917, it was built a fighter called DDr.1.
It was a single-seater wooden three-plane equipped with pulling and pushing air propellers and two rotating engines Siemens-Halske Sh.I with a capacity of 110 hp each. The weaponry consisted of two synchronized 7.92 mm LMG 08/15 Spandau machine guns.
The first flight of the prototype took place on November 9, 1917. Already in the first flight the plane crashed. They did not restore the aircraft, at the same time throwing the project of the upgraded DDr.Ⅱfighter with two engines Siemens-Halske Sh.Ⅲ(160 hp)
sswdr1-1.gif sswdr1-1.jpg sswdr1-2.jpg

Last edited:
All aircraft from him were,

B Type,Bulldog,DD5,D.I,D.II,D.III.D.IV.D.V,D.VI,Dr.I,Dr.II.DDr.I,DDr.II,E.I,E.II,E.III,E.IV,G.I,G.II ?,G.III (L.1),R.I,R.II,R.III,R.IV,R.V,
R.VI,R.VII.R.VIII,R.IX,Forssman I,Forssman II,Glider 1915 and Flying Torpedo.

Last edited:
All aircraft from him were,

B Type,Bulldog,DD5,D.I,D.II,D.III.D.IV.D.V,D.VI,Dr.I,Dr.II.DDr.I,DDr.II,E.I,E.II,E.III,E.IV,G.I,G.II ?,G.III (L.1),R.I,R.II,R.III,R.IV,R.V,
R.VI,R.VII.R.VIII,R.IX,Forssman I,Forssman II,Glider 1915 and Flying Torpedo.

I add some of aircraft,via my friend.

Last edited: