SIAI-Marchetti SM.122 & SM.132

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
A very short reference in JAWA 1954-55 lead to the turboprop SIAI-Marchetti SM.122 and the jet-engined SM.132. Unfortunately, the author gave no details (purpose, background information, etc.).

Can anybody supply additional information (incl. model pictures or artist's impressions)?

First image is the wooden model for wind-tunnel tests of the SM-122 in the original, 1952, configuration. Second image is of the later, definitive 1953 config.
Third is the SM-132, and fourth i a comparison of the SM-122 with a the larger Agusta-Zappata AZ-1, of the same years (AZ-1 little later). On Tuesday I'll be perusing in the SIA-Marchetti archives in Sesto Calende... expect surprises...

Attachments

• SM-122 1952.jpg
    SM-122 1952.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 564
  • SM-122 1953.jpg
    SM-122 1953.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 549
  • SM-133 1953.jpg
    SM-133 1953.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 612
  • Sm-122 e AZ-1.jpg
    Sm-122 e AZ-1.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 576
Excellent, Skybolt! We need more work inside the company archives (if they still exist).

Just back from Siai MArchetti in Sesto Calende...Tons (well, kilos) of material on the 122 and 132, a later revised version of the 122, called OT (OgniTempo, i.e. all-weather), a smaller companion, the 112 (the three appear tohave been conceived togheter in 1953-53, covering the full spectrum of small to middle sized transports). Besides this I found the original drawings of the SM 105 (Canguro...), and more... You'll have to wait until Wedsnday September 20 when I'l return there and srrat seriously scanning and copying. For now, suffice to say that I have to make a correction on my previous post: the model of the SM 122 wasn't an early design, but an alternative configuration of the later SM 122OT from 1957. The flush cockpit design is, considering the year, clearly influenced by the contemporary Agusta AZ8L. In the end it seems (but I'll know next week for sure), SIAI returned to the original raised cockpit solution.

Uh, and the wind tunnel model was made of lime wood (I found the original detailed costruction plans for the model, with dimensions down to the tenth of millimiter)

And last, I'm really happy ;D

It was relatively straightforward. Since I'm a PR, ;D I phoned the Agusta Group PR who I knew is from SIAI (Agusta absorbed SIAI a few years ago after buying them in the '90s) and asked him info. He told me that the SIAI archives had been transferred to the former employees group (a sort of SIAI Alumni). I knew them by fame since they contributed to a score of history books on SIAI Marchetti (pre-war and wartime projects). My collegue asked the president of the group to contact me, he did, we arranged a meeting in the new see of the group itseldf (which BTW is located inside the old SIAI factory in downtown Sesto Calende). I met with two of the group, amazing people, both well over 75 but with an elephant memory (dates, names, facts...). The paper archive is in total disarray, since they just moved from an old see and the moving company did a mess.... I explained them what I was interested in and they helped me in searching: in an hour we found a lot. I'm convinced a lot more waits to being discovered. I lent my help to reorder the papers (some are amazing, I'll post later after scanning them, I evenn found the original brochure of the SV10, the compound helicopter SIAI was ready to fly when Agusta bought them; and cancelled it imemdiately since was fine years ahead of their programs... :().
That's it. If the SIAI agreement goes well, I'll try with Macchi.... One of the guits from SIAI knew Ing. Bazzocchi personally..

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :p 8)

I'll start with some articles, probably in AeroFan. Aeronautical book publishing in Italy is a, er, "difficul"t, matter....

Skybolt,

I’m living in a small town far away from the next good magazine shop. So I have heavy problems to get most of the international aviation journals. I’m subscriber of three magazines, but my income is not enough to subscribe more of them. I’ve bought a few older “Aerofan” issues during my last London visit. But not every offered issue was an interesting one for me. So I would like to ask you for an information as soon as your articles will be published in one of the “Aerofan” (or another aviation) magazine. Maybe you can support all interested people to get a copy (incl. postage guaranteed)? I for my part don’t want to miss your articles on SIAI-Marchetti projects.

As for Aerofanyou won't probably see any articles by me before January 2007 at the earliest. The magazine in a quarterly... You (the members of this group) will the first to know :D Anyway, I'm planning to open a web site to publish any documents/images that will not be possible to include in the articles (and even some of the articles' material... ;) ), so, information without compensation ;D
As for Key Publishing, it's a good idea, I have to devise something that could interest them (since their audience is much larger than AeroFan and accostumed to other matters). Let's see next Wedsnday, I have other projects to dig out of the archive, for example the SIAI jet fighter projects (SM 10X and SM 133 and probably more).

Just back from Sesto Calende, againn. Rich findings. Regarding the SM-122 OT, I have to reverse my opinion one more time: the OgniTempo version, designed in 1956-57, had a Viscount-like cockpit (flush) and was shorter. I discovered a previously unknown streched version of the 122Ot, called 122LC.
I cannot post what I found (I have to write an article, before...), but as a sign of reverence to this forum, enjoy the original drawing showing the engine arrangement of the SM-133. As you can see, it was peculiar: the engine (an Atar or an Allyson) was in the back of the wing nacelle, air enetere via a bfurcated channel, and the front of the nacelle contained a fuel tank.

Attachments

• SM-132_sistemazione-motore.jpg
    SM-132_sistemazione-motore.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 561
Hi boxkite,

anther project to SIAI-Marchetti was S-206 ,a six seat version of S-205.

Uh, yes, but more than ten years later. I am presently researching the 1945-1962 years, tle least known and the ones when Ing. Alessandro Marchetti was still in charge or at least influencing the design, with an exception: I found a twin-jet project named Silverstar from 1970.

Hi,

The S.I.A.I S.204 was a project of light twin aircraft powered
by Pratt & Whitney PT-6 or Turbomeca Astazou turboprops.

Skybolt said:
Just back from Sesto Calende, againn. Rich findings. Regarding the SM-122 OT, I have to reverse my opinion one more time: the OgniTempo version, designed in 1956-57, had a Viscount-like cockpit (flush) and was shorter. I discovered a previously unknown streched version of the 122Ot, called 122LC.
I cannot post what I found (I have to write an article, before...), but as a sign of reverence to this forum, enjoy the original drawing showing the engine arrangement of the SM-133. As you can see, it was peculiar: the engine (an Atar or an Allyson) was in the back of the wing nacelle, air enetere via a bfurcated channel, and the front of the nacelle contained a fuel tank.

In a way, not all that different from the landing gear/fuel tank/ramjets pod studied for the really advanced high-speed/high-altitude Arrow variants.

I think SIAI inspired themselves with some more mundane late '40 British projects... Italian design style of the late '40-early '50 was heavily influenced by UK designers (except FIAT, who copied US designs, firstly T-33s and derivatives, later F-86).

Skybolt said:
It was relatively straightforward. Since I'm a PR, ;D I phoned the Agusta Group PR who I knew is from SIAI (Agusta absorbed SIAI a few years ago after buying them in the '90s) and asked him info. He told me that the SIAI archives had been transferred to the former employees group (a sort of SIAI Alumni). I knew them by fame since they contributed to a score of history books on SIAI Marchetti (pre-war and wartime projects). My collegue asked the president of the group to contact me, he did, we arranged a meeting in the new see of the group itseldf (which BTW is located inside the old SIAI factory in downtown Sesto Calende). I met with two of the group, amazing people, both well over 75 but with an elephant memory (dates, names, facts...). The paper archive is in total disarray, since they just moved from an old see and the moving company did a mess.... I explained them what I was interested in and they helped me in searching: in an hour we found a lot. I'm convinced a lot more waits to being discovered. I lent my help to reorder the papers (some are amazing, I'll post later after scanning them, I evenn found the original brochure of the SV10, the compound helicopter SIAI was ready to fly when Agusta bought them; and cancelled it imemdiately since was fine years ahead of their programs... :().
That's it. If the SIAI agreement goes well, I'll try with Macchi.... One of the guits from SIAI knew Ing. Bazzocchi personally..

First time to read this,the SV.10 (not SV.20) was a compound helicopter ?.

Hi,

here is a SIAI SM-122.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-1958-PUB-SIAI-MARCHETTI-SESTO-CALENDE-AVION-SM-122-AIRCRAFT-ORIGINAL-AD-/301824725677?_ul=BO

Attachments

• d.png
    d.png
    73.6 KB · Views: 246
From Aviation magazine 1954,

here is a strange Info about SIAI twin jets airliner Project,powered by Rolls-Royce Avon Ra-3s,and was
capable to carry 24 passenger,I know the SM.122 wasa jet airliner Project,but had capacity of 54 passenger
and anther kind of engines,was this mystery related to SM.122 or not ?.

Attachments

• S-1.png
    S-1.png
    272.4 KB · Views: 58
  • S-2.png
    S-2.png
    224.3 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom