Self-propelled L119 105 mm light gun?

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
The Royal Ordnance Factory L118 (semi-fixed ammunition) and L119 (fixed ammunition) 105mm light gun (howitzer) has been a great success. It is in use in at least 20 countries including the UK, Australia and the USA (as the M119A1), which all build them. I have not heard of any self-propelled versions, though, which seems strange. (I did find a mention of an M113 APC modified to carry a 105 mm howitzer, though I am not sure if that's the same gun.)

With the modern emphasis on rapid deployment and mobility, this seems like the perfect gun for an air-tranportable self-propelled howitzer or even an assault gun. At only two tons, including the carriage, it could even equip an air-droppable vehicle. Does anyone know of any production models, prototypes or projects to put the L119 or a derivative on a self-propelled carriage?

Cheers,

Matthew

It's the other way round, isn't it?
The Abbot 105mm spg came first; then a lot of hard work to produce a lightweight, air-portable, manhandleinto awkward spots gun, by which time SPG's had gone to 155mm.

smurf said:
It's the other way round, isn't it?
The Abbot 105mm spg came first; then a lot of hard work to produce a lightweight, air-portable, manhandleinto awkward spots gun, by which time SPG's had gone to 155mm.

Yeah spot on. The L118 was developed from the L13 ordnance developed for the L109 Abbot SPG. The L118 entered service in 1976, some 11 years after Abbot. Why the L118's separately loaded ammunition is called "Abbot" ammunition (at least in the Australian Army to differentiate between the semi fixed M1 ammunition used by the L119). The Mk 8 4.5" gun was also based on the Abbot gun technology but of course scaled up to the bigger naval round.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FV433_Abbot_SPG

Some very suspect assertions above.

Light Gun was a project initiated in 1964, just before Abbot entered service. It uses the same ammo as Abbot, correctly called 105mm Field, the 105mm M1 being called 105mm Howitzer in UK service. There were two Mks of 105 Fd ammo. Mk 2 was the real thing, Mk 1 was used when Abbot first entered service and stocks of Mk 2 ammo were being built. Mk 1 used the 105mm How shell and a reduced 105 mm Fd cartridge (the ordnance has an electric primer so cannot fire carts with percussion primers). Originally L118 was to use the Mk 1 ammo for training, but during development the requirement was changed to permit a separate ordnance firing 105mm How ammo, because this ammo was no longer needed in war stocks and therefore all existing stocks were available for training, this version of the gun was called L119, UK only purchased 14 of them to equip two batteries for the School of Artillery, they disposed of them about 10 years ago when the ammo ran out.

The ordnance of L118 and Abbot were somewhat different, slightly different in length, self-generating electricity for the firing mech instead of using the vehicle power supply and L118 uses an autofrettaged barrel which was unnecessary in Abbot because barrel weight was not an issue. Obviously the recoil systems were very different. There is a lot of nill-informed twaddle on this subject.

Oh yes, 105 Fd ammo is separate loading, 105mm How is semi-fixed. It is impossible to have 105mm Fd semi-fixed because both charge 5 and charge super protrude beyond the cartridge case mouth. Bit of a duh is that.

Several years ago a new HE shell entered service, L50, the shell is longer than the old L31, which in turn was longer than the M1. The new shell has a usefully higher percentage of HE fill, than L31 which had more than M1. A new RP smoke entered service at about the same time this is of course a base ejection smoke not bursting like WP.

Slight tangent but forgive me. Would it have been feasible to mount a turreted L118 on a CVRT chassis? Or am I totally insane to suggest it?
cheers
H

acorning said:
Originally L118 was to use the Mk 1 ammo for training, but during development the requirement was changed to permit a separate ordnance firing 105mm How ammo, because this ammo was no longer needed in war stocks and therefore all existing stocks were available for training, this version of the gun was called L119, UK only purchased 14 of them to equip two batteries for the School of Artillery, they disposed of them about 10 years ago when the ammo ran out.

For the Australian Army's Project Hamel which saw over 100 Light Guns built in Australia at the Bendigo factory of ADI (aka Department of Supply) each gun was supplied to the unit with two interchangeable ordnances. One, the L119, to fire the semi-fixed 105mm M1 ammunition and the other, the L118, to fire the "Abbot" ammunition (as it was called in Australia). The highly suspect idea was that the Army would use the L119 in peacetime firing the cheaper M1 ammunition and come a conflict change over to the L118 and fire the longer ranged Abbot ammunition. However the money was never allocated to produce the Abbot ammunition in Australia or buy a large enough to be usable stock from the UK. So each artillery unit maintained a stack of wooden crates loaded with spare L118 ordnances in the back of the park that could be switched out for the L119 ordnance when needed. They have hardly been used and represent another of many wastes of defence dollars by the Australian DoD.

Actually 15,000 rds of 105mm Fd were purchased from UK. Australian production costs wouldn't have been greatly different between How and Fd, a bit more HE and higher grade steel offset by slightly less steel. Of course the sensible option if shell cost was a problem would have been to adopt 105mm Fd Mk 1 and Mk 2, as UK did for bringing Abbot into service. Incidentally Australia used the UK FTs and these referred to 105mm Fd, so it was only the un-informed who talked about Abbot ammo.

acorning said:
Actually 15,000 rds of 105mm Fd were purchased from UK.

Not even a years’ worth of ammunition for peacetime training.

acorning said:
Australian production costs wouldn't have been greatly different between How and Fd, a bit more HE and higher grade steel offset by slightly less steel.

No Australian production of ammunition for the L118 would have been far higher than continuing production of 105mm M1 ammunition. Because of the cost of converting the plants to the new ammunition type. Whereas the non-recurring costs of M1 production had been spent in the 1960s.

acorning said:
Incidentally Australia used the UK FTs and these referred to 105mm Fd, so it was only the un-informed who talked about Abbot ammo.

Yes and I did the fire missions for a few of those as well. But what name is printed on the firing table is not necessarily what is printed in local training documents and used all the time in the vernacular. The L118 ammunition was ALWAYS referred to as the “Abbot” ammunition in the Australian Army. Perhaps because calling it 105mm Field would be awfully confusing considering that was also the name of the class of gun that fired it (105mm field gun).

acorning said:
so it was only the un-informed who talked about Abbot ammo.

I don’t like being called “un-informed” by someone who clearly wasn’t there. So a quick search of Google should put this issue to bed. Plenty of other Aussie Gunners referring to “Abbot ammo” when using the L19 ordnance on our Hamel guns. And these are only from page 1 of results.

dont know but imagine the concusion from that! When we fire the Abbot ammo (electrically fired) out of the L118 ordnance, on the Hamel at 'charge super', only about 10rds in a 24hr period can be fired as the body can suffer from the overpressures.

BTW thats only peace time. With the L119 ordnance on the Hamel using the 105mm M1 ammo we can fire to our hearts content

On 'charge super', the trails on the Hamel kiss the ground! its impressive and a 105mm Abbot projectile gets punched out to +17 km in range.
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=17001.5;wap2

Range 11,400 mtrs and
17,200 mtrs with Abbot Ammo
http://7fd-regt-raa-association.com/History/Guns%20of%20the%20Regiment.htm

The gun packs more punch than what a pack howitzer would however, there is a flaw.

Deployment times for crews are slower as it is necessary to remove a wheel in order to fold the gun back up right (not kidding) and if one chooses to use the US barrel for M1 ammunition as oppsed to British Abbot ammunition, the gun lacks 6km's worth of range.

Since a light gun's purpose is to be portable I like it.
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/best-artillery-in-the-world.43815/

So there were lots of under-informed people who hadn't bothered to looked at the FTs or other official documentation (eg the ammo section of the UHB). There is never an excuse for ignorance, certainly not 'other people were using it', all sounds like poor quality training to me.

Not sure that tooling costs were that great, in the mid-60s UK seems to have been producing 105mm Fd and 105mm How in the same factories.

Of course UK has moved on, BAe recently completed type testing of a new 105mm shell filled with ROWANEX PBX, these are longer shells and I think they may have been using one model for a few years, along with the new RP smoke shells in Afg. Some years ago BAe claimed that the new longer thin wall 105mm was as effective as 155mm M107, although I'd assume 'it all depends on the target type'. Of course Australia has been using 155mm for 30 years and sticks with the antique ammo for that as well. Bit of a pattern emerging here.

acorning said:
So there were lots of under-informed people who hadn't bothered to looked at the FTs or other official documentation (eg the ammo section of the UHB). There is never an excuse for ignorance, certainly not 'other people were using it', all sounds like poor quality training to me.

Either that or people on the other side of the world do things a little bit differently.

acorning said:
Not sure that tooling costs were that great, in the mid-60s UK seems to have been producing 105mm Fd and 105mm How in the same factories.

So? ADI would have done the same if ever funded to build Abbot ammunition in Oz. The floor space required is hardly the issue its everything else from different presses to different materials and so on that add up to non-recurring costs

acorning said:
Of course UK has moved on, BAe recently completed type testing of a new 105mm shell filled with ROWANEX PBX, these are longer shells and I think they may have been using one model for a few years, along with the new RP smoke shells in Afg. Some years ago BAe claimed that the new longer thin wall 105mm was as effective as 155mm M107, although I'd assume 'it all depends on the target type'. Of course Australia has been using 155mm for 30 years and sticks with the antique ammo for that as well. Bit of a pattern emerging here.

Nice one. More ignorance from the other side of the world. Australia chose to move to all 155mm for one big reason: smart ammo. How is that 105mm Excalibur project or that 105mm SFM project or that 105mm PGK project going? Ohh there is none. And you talk about "antique ammo"?

How many and what types of 155mm "Smart" rounds has the ADF bought?

105mm should be able to use a "smart" round. A modified Strix would work well. Pity Merlin was discontinued. It would have been perfect for adapting to 105mm calibre rounds.

Australia bought Copperhead quite some time ago, and ordered both SMArt and Excalibur around 2007-08.

http://www.defence.gov.au/media/departmentaltpl.cfm?CurrentId=7131
http://www.defence.gov.au/budget/07-08/dar/vol2/ch3_01_o11_04_top30_5.htm

Note that these are all off the shelf buys where someone else paid the development costs. A 105mm guided round would likely be a new start as no one else appears to have ordered such a round.

Hot Breath said:
How many and what types of 155mm "Smart" rounds has the ADF bought?

155 SMArt is actually a product name. It is a German made sensor fused munition (SFM) in which a 155mm carrier shell pops out two self guided anti tank munitions which parachute down to above an enemy tank and blow them up with EFPs against the roof.

The Australian Army has brought a few hundred or thousand (you search online to find the actual number) of these rounds to replace the laser guided Copperhead as the artillery anti tank weapon. SMArt is a far, far more effective anti tank round than Copperhead. Which is called a smart or precision guided weapon more as a courtesy.

Hot Breath said:
105mm should be able to use a "smart" round. A modified Strix would work well. Pity Merlin was discontinued. It would have been perfect for adapting to 105mm calibre rounds.

Sure and you could probably repackage a lot of PGM tech to fit 105mm shells. Also there are other good reasons to keep 105mm as an expitionary weapon like the logistics demand vs artillery frontage which is better than 155mm and new preformed fragment 105mm shells having near and better than 155mm performance (Denel 105mm LEO). But someone’s got to actually do it and pay for it. However as Australia is only a medium power with a track record of very bad defence tech management (despite some excellent ideas and implementation) it’s not going to be us!

L118 will remain in UK service well into the 2030s, it will achieve at least 60 yrs. The main users are the light forces, ie airborne and cdo. Note that the US abn continues to use M119. Budgets permitting I'd expect course correcting fzes to be adopted. Its also used for training including the UK university units. UK evaluated both Ceasar and portee M777 some years ago. I suspect they will buy the former for the non-armoured, non-light bdes. M777 is a bit of a dog, it has a heap of issues starting with very limited top traverse, basically 155mm is too big a calibre for an effective towed gun, but its great for a proper SP like AS90 and PzH2000. The sensible solution for a towed gun above 105mm is 122mm. If BAe had an sense they develop something capable of firing the old Sov std ammo and a new upgraded round like their new 105 and 155 (replacing L15 which is already far outperforms M107). Remember, the primary role of field artillery in suppression and casualties against opportunity targets.

Full precision isn't really needed if you have GMLRS - bigger bang to far greater range. UK ordered Smart 155 but cancelled. Copperhead was a device that did not withstand careful analysis, Martin-Marietta were flogging it hard in the 1980s, with a marked lack of success - sensible armies did some arithmetic and thought hard about how to use it.

acorning said:
basically 155mm is too big a calibre for an effective towed gun

I think you mean "is too big a calibre for an effective light towed gun". There are plenty of examples of 155mm or larger calibre towed guns which were/are effective weapons. Perhaps the point is that mass is needed to absorb recoil and while designers can cleverly replace it with recoil systems using hydraulics and inclined ramps and so on, there is still a minimum mass you really can't go below?

No I meant what I said. Towed 155mm was useful in WW2, mainly because the battle space was compact so top traverse of 60/70 degrees was acceptable, but the maximum rate of fire left a lot to be desired. Top traverse remains a problem, but has far greater significance as the battle space has grown and the guns are still heavy, this means switching between wide separated targets is too slow. Rate of fire remains abysmal in all too many cases. One of the few towed 155mm that overcame these deficiencies was FH70, but is was big and heavy and complicated. There's also the whole ammunition handling issue. 155mm is a fine calibre, but only for use on SPs.

cluttonfred said:
Does anyone know of any production models, prototypes or projects to put the L119 or a derivative on a self-propelled carriage?

OFB India displayed this prototype during Defexpo 2010.

Attachments

• OFB_105mm SPH_CIMG2669.JPG
    OFB_105mm SPH_CIMG2669.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 480
  • OFB_105mm SPH_cimg26711.jpg
    OFB_105mm SPH_cimg26711.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 459
  • OFB_105mm SPH_specs.jpg
    OFB_105mm SPH_specs.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 442
What the 155mm isn't a good towed gun!

The SA G5 is an excellent towed piece, it's a bit dodgy "bundu Bashing" but it goes well enough & I've watched them engage targets at 50km range, I was half way between the target & guns, I could see the BB burn then burn out. No problem with top register" there I think.

That should be top traverse. The G5 has it's trunnion point close to the breech & doesn't have any problem traversing quickly. Shell handling is heavy work but I was able to handle the projectiles easily enough at Army Battle School on a course.

miker said:
What the 155mm isn't a good towed gun!

The SA G5 is an excellent towed piece, it's a bit dodgy "bundu Bashing" but it goes well enough & I've watched them engage targets at 50km range, I was half way between the target & guns, I could see the BB burn then burn out. No problem with top register" there I think.

But you need a bloody big helo to lift the G5 to make it air mobile. If you are using your gun as an exclusively land mobile piece you're much better off with a SP piece. But towed guns have the advantage of just being able to be slung under a chopper or dropped out the back of a Herc.

The M777 is perbaps the best artillery piece ever built for towing. It is balanced on its wheels and can be towed by a quad bike. And its power to weight ratio is astounding. But if you have to fly in every shell you shoot as in the case of an airmobile assault or amphib landing then a 105mm gun will out shoot it.

The weapon of artillery is the shell not the gun. Why you manage arty by units of fire not numbers of tubes.

Interesting topic and interesting hearing forum members personal experiences on the gun line!!

I read somewhere, so don't know where, that at the end of WWII there was a preference for developing and making 110mm the standard light artillery calibre of NATO, but for reasons I can't remember, the standard became 105mm.

Abraham Gubler, I can't argue with your sentiment - "However as Australia is only a medium power with a track record of very bad defence tech management (despite some excellent ideas and implementation) it’s not going to be us!"

As for your comment "The M777 is perhaps the best artillery piece ever built for towing.", as an Infantryman, Assault Pioneer Mortarman and DFSW operator for 27-years, I'm respectfully not qualified to argue mate, but I've always thought highly of the Soviet 2A18 (D-30) 122mm howitzer as an excellent design, bar none.

Regards
Pioneer

Here I go again, what is DFSW?

Regards.

Direct Fire Support Weapon (aka Carl Gustav 84mm recoilless rifle).
Sorry for my vagueness and assumption JohnR

Thanks for the elaboration TomS.
May I also add direct and indirect Sustained Fire Machine Guns (7.62mm and 12.7mm)

Regards
Pioneer

On topic "Self-propelled L119 105 mm light gun?"
That already exist as a prototype since 2018 by Mandus Group:
"
AM General brings HMMWV
AM General brought to SOFEX a version
of the High Mobility Multi-purpose
Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV) fitted
with a 105mm howitzer on the rear.
This is referred to as the Enhanced Tactical
Indirect (ETI) – HMMWV Hawkeye
105mm Weapon System.
AM General is responsible for the platform
and Mandus Group for the weapon
system. The weapon is provided with a
hybrid special recoil system, which allows
it to be installed on light platforms such as
the HMMWV. The version on display was
fitted with the 105mm M30 barrel from
the U.S. Army M119
light towed howitzer."
"
From UAE Defense Mag 2018/06 about the SOFEX of same year
But then go to other sources and photos and it states "U.S. Army standard M20 105mm".

Anyway...as uninformed .... let's speculate over a possible M119 L118 conversion into a truck howtizer...

The current configuration of Hawkeye = HMMWV + GUN have some basic flaws:
1) single cabin HMMWV = 2 crew .... on a gun that requires at least 4, and no ammo storeage in the single cabin HMMWV either => 1 x HMMWV with 2 crew + gun + 1 x HMMWV with rest of the crew + ammo .... NO GOOD!!

Alternative:
2) double cabin ( 4 crew ) MDT 6x6 Toyota Land Cruiser 79 (with stanag level 1 balist and blast armour or not) + Mandus Group Kit & Gun + Towed Ammo Trailer (3500 kg tow capacity for LC 79 best in class) ... BETTER?!
Let me check the weights:
- Mandus Group Kit & Gun +- 1200 kg
- 4 x Crew and Gear +- 400 kg
- Tare MDT 6x6 Toyota LC79 D +- 2830 kg
- Max fuel and oil +- 150 kg
Total Set +- 4580 kg
Ammo Trailer w/ ammo +- 1500 kg
Total Full Set + trailer +- 6080 kg ....

Without Ammo Trailer (few ammo) in the external payload range of: H225 and up
With Ammo Trailer (more ammo) in the external payload range of: CH47 and up

Why not? Is somehow some COTS aproach!

Maybe the "Self-propelled L119 105 mm light gun?" is comming to live (is not the L119 a 37 caliber gun?!)...
"

The Garuda 105​

Kalyani Strategic Systems Limited(KSSL) has indigenously designed, developed and manufactured The Garuda 105: Go-Anywhere Gun. This stands true to its name as it is an ultra-light, light-weight mobile gun system to reinstall the peace at the Battlefield Garuda 105 is a Make in India game-changer in the realm of the weapon system have the following salient features: - 105mm 37 Cal Mobile Weapon System with 360 Degree firing capability - Ultra-lightweight gun system: Under 5.5 Ton Few more salient features of Garuda 105: - Mounted on 4X4 wheeled chassis enabled all-terrain maneuverability including High Altitude - Gradeability: 30 Degree (Go-Anywhere Gun) Few more salient features of Garuda 105: - Adaptable for fitting on any in-service vehicle - Quicker emplacement, onboard fire control panel, electrically controlled elevation and traverse Few more salient features of Garuda 105: - Shoot and scoot capability - Low Maintenance cost - Coming into Action: 1.5 min in day, and 2 min in night
"

The Garuda 105: Go-Anywhere Gun Promotional Video​

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L9A11oHKEk

July 28, 2022
Yuma Test Center (YTC) at U.S. Army Yuma Proving Ground (YPG) is supporting the testing of the soft recoil on a 105-mm Howitzer weapon system mounted on a Humvee.

The weapon system is referred to as Hawkeye, and is intended to be a quick and effective method for the Warfighter to fire and move.

YTC Gun Crew Lead Danny Zendejas says the system is simple to use and only takes a few minutes to set up for firing.

“When we have the center of traverse over the hub that geodetics places, we hit the switch for the outriggers.”

The outriggers emplace alongside of the Humvee and stabilize the weapon system for firing.

Randy McConnell, Program Management Towed Artillery Systems (PM TAS) test lead for 105- characterization explained, “You can have a round out within a minute and a half, so 90 seconds from the time the wheels stop to the first round down range.”

YTC Munitions and Weapons Division Test Officer Chad Bloomingdale is overseeing the firing portion of the test.

“One of the benefits of the systems that we look to confirm is its mobility and use of less personnel to operate,” he said. At YTC, the typical gun grew is four to five members. However, to operate the system in a military setting would require as few as four — two to operate and two for support.

The second part of the test taking place concurrently at YTC is the mobility portion. Combat Automotive Systems Division Test Officer Oliver Ramos has focused his efforts on the road testing for several months. “We are trying to get the value of the vehicle, so the customer knows that everything is good with the vehicle,” he said.

The mobility characterization and endurance portion of the test includes driving the Humvee equipped with the weapon system on various graded roads and slopes while monitoring speed, acceleration, and braking. Additional testing includes steering, handling, and endurance – meaning the test item will be driven for a pre-determined number of miles at the road courses around YTC.

Congress provided the funds to specifically characterize the 105-mm soft recoil technology. Characterize means to monitor how the equipment reacts to tests and document the performance. The Army does not have a requirement for a mobile 105-mm Howitzer system, the test is exclusively to evaluate the soft recoil.

“We are learning what the soft recoil is on the weapon system and also the emplacement and displacement of the vehicle,” said McConnell.

With a conventional recoil all the power goes to the rear of the weapons system, while the soft recoil goes forward.

The advantage of that is the amount of impulse load on the vehicle or weapon system explains Brandon Timper, Director of Product Development and Training at Mandus Group. “It reduces the load up to 80 percent. Another advantage is that it allows for a lighter weight platform.”
max1200.jpg
max1200 (1).jpg

So, one vehicl for the gun, one for the crew and a third for the ammo. You will not get much of those into a Humvee.

So, one vehicl for the gun, one for the crew and a third for the ammo. You will not get much of those into a Humvee.

Two vehicles: one Gun vehicle for the weapon, 2 soldiers, and probably at least a couple rounds of ammo; one Ammunition vehicle with 4 soldiers and reserve ammo.

Attachments

• 2-CT-Hawkeye-MHS_062521.pdf
    935.1 KB · Views: 25