SeaEagle and Kormaron

rousseau

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I need some photos that show a Panavia Tornado loading SeaEagle anti-ship missiles. While I search this photos in internet, I'm suprised that not only datum of this missile is so few, but also photos. I don't think this missile still being secret, although it is self-guided.
Meanwhile, I ask the different between SeaEagle and Kormaron, because not only the profile of them are similar, but also the time they developed almost is simultaneous.

oaky i got it
but still the missiles.i still havent got the pic u wanted.sorry
but tstill trying

Sea Eagle was derived from the Martel ASM airframe. I believe that India took delivery of Sea Eagle to arm its Harriers and Sepecats.

Sea Eagle  - length 4.14m, diameter 40cm, weight of 600kg and a range of 110km. It is also powered by a Microturbo TRI-60-1 Turbojet. Production started in1982 and first went into service with the RAF buccaneers and Sea Harriers. 

Kormoran (SA-34) which is 4.4m in lenght, 34cm diameter has a weight of 600kg and practicable range (early versions) of 37km production started in 1976.

Attachments

• UK- BAe Sea Eagle_3.jpg
    UK- BAe Sea Eagle_3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 113
  • UK- BAe Sea Eagle_7.jpg
    UK- BAe Sea Eagle_7.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 121
  • GER- Kormoran MBB.jpg
    GER- Kormoran MBB.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 104
rousseau said:
I need some photos that show a Panavia Tornado loading SeaEagle anti-ship missiles. While I search this photos in internet, I'm suprised that not only datum of this missile is so few, but also photos. I don't think this missile still being secret, although it is self-guided.
Meanwhile, I ask the different between SeaEagle and Kormaron, because not only the profile of them are similar, but also the time they developed almost is simultaneous.

You might find this page helpful:

http://www.vectorsite.net/twbomb_09.html

(Also discusses OTOMAT, Gabriel, Exocet and several others)

Hi Guys,
The Sea Eagle is no longer carried on the RAF Tornado's, as this creates too much drag. The anti-ship missile is the favourite Harpoon.

Sea Eagle pic from the Defence Image Database http://www.defenceimagedatabase.mod.uk/fotoweb/, not sure where the Kormoran pic is from, try the Impressive Weapons Loads thread on Key forums http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55087

Attachments

• 45132176.jpg
    45132176.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 81
  • pic106b.jpg
    pic106b.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 79
McColm said:
Hi Guys,
The Sea Eagle is no longer carried on the RAF Tornado's, as this creates too much drag. The anti-ship missile is the favourite Harpoon.

Sea Eagle was withdrawn some years ago, but that was due to the age of the existing missiles and lack of funds to refurbish them, not due to the drag of carrying them. Harpoon has never been cleared for use on Tornado.

rousseau said:

There was no relation at all between these two weapons -- they were independent deveopments by Britain and Germany. Kormoran was actually about a decade older than Sea Eagle -- Kormoran 1 began development in 1962 and was fielded in 1977, while Sea Eagle started around 1976 and was fielded in 1985. Kormoran 2 was begun in 1983 and fielded in 1991 (following several years delay after testing).

Technologically, the most obvious difference is that Sea Eagle used a turbojet engine (like Harpoon), while Kormoran used a rocket motor (like Exocet). This made Sea Eagle a little bit slower (Mach 0.85 versus Mach 0.9 for Kormoran) but much longer ranged (110 km versus 23 km for Kormoran 1 or 35 km for Kormoran 2).