Scott Lowther's APR

flateric

ACCESS: USAP
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A question to Scott - how difficult would be re-issue Advanced Projects Review being paid in forward from Secret Projects members? AFAIK, you was shocked after just two persons expressed interest in getting APR in electronic form, but hope now some just would be smarter...what a mess APR is gone! I think that paying forward can eliminate many copyright problems.

To Secret Projects members - how much of you would like to get that raritets (http://up-ship.com/apr/aprorder.htm) paying in forward to Scott?

Personally, I would be very interested in good quality PDF versions. This would cost Scott nothing to make, so there is no financial implications for him.

Paul.

Personally I would be very interested in an electronic version of APR, I had only discovered it's existence recently while reading the appendices of "Hypersonic - The story of the North American X-15". Having looked at Scott's site I am kicking myself for having not found it earlier.

Please, please, please, lets have a PDF version, personally I would be willing to pay good money for the privilege. Having seen the contents of volume 0 that is on Scott's site I would love to see the other volumes.

overscan said:
Personally, I would be very interested in good quality PDF versions. This would cost Scott nothing to make, so there is no financial implications for him.

Paul.

I mean that we must pay Scott for the stuff, and he could upload APRs to, say, rapidshare, giving concrete people concrete links to concrete issues after being paid for after some deadline. Electronic form could make everything easierfor him to do.

But, of course, we should ask him of his opinion first...

If APR was available in PDF form, how much would people be prepared to pay?

I'd probably be more interested in a pack of every issue for, perhaps, £15, than buying individual issues for £2 or whatever.

The other question is how to make sure that people buy their own copies and don't just share it- this would potentially require some form of copy protection?

I think the idea of a pack of issues is a good one. Speaking for myself I think £15 - £20 sounds a fare price. I am not sure how copy protection could be effected but it probably would be a good idea.

Some form of watermarking the PDF so that each purchaser's copy is personalised to them would discourage casual copying.

overscan said:
Some form of watermarking the PDF so that each purchaser's copy is personalised to them would discourage casual copying.

To protect copyright is a big problem. Watermark is not enough - for example, it should take me some two minutes to eliminate it. Much better and effective solution is to electronically limit the number of copying and burnig for each pdf file. However, this will need additional costs.

A pack of APR issues is a good idea, but it should be something like - I will send you 10 issues and you can choose which of them do you want. Its because for example I have some issues in paper form, but they are not in order, nor from the same year.

overscan said:

Microsoft's .lit format offers a form of copy protection. Of course, .lit is a terrible format, just like Microsoft's copyright protected .wma files

overscan said:

Paul.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it would cost nothing. Depending on the format of his documents it could be a relatively painless conversion or a PITA. Either way it would still take him some time.

Even though I've a full set in hard copy, I'd be willing to shell out hard cash in the amounts mentioned to get a full electronic set, too.

elmayerle said:
Even though I've a full set in hard copy, I'd be willing to shell out hard cash in the amounts mentioned to get a full electronic set, too.

Same here, especially if they're at high res.

Well, I assumed Scott will have a copy in electronic form, in which case basic PDF production is as easy as printing them out.

Having not wandered by "The Bar" in more'n a month, I missed this discussion. Here's the scoop:
1) Most of the time I have to spend on Projects-related projects is devoted to my Bomber Projects book.
2) The plan is to re-release a *completely* reworked APR. There were the usual errors - typographical as well as factual - as well as pictures of dubious quality (I'm vastly better wth image processing now)
3) I also have much more to add... both stuff that had to be left out due to space requirements, and new stuff I've found since original publication (for example: Issue V1N2 had a nice article on the Boeing Model 979 flyback booster, based on the Saturn S-Ic stage; I have discovered a trunkload of new stuff not only on that design, but also on other flyback S-Ic stages, so the reworked article is greatly expanded, maybe 3-5 times the original and covering *all* flyback S-Ic stages, not just the 979)
4) I will be re-releasing them as whole volumes (V1N1 through V1N6, for example), as they are completed
5) I hope to release them both on paper and as electronic.

I need to look into this further, but having purchased several books through lulu.com, I am very tempted to use them. I send them the electonic file, they print, bind and mail the book as the orders come in. They also do downloadable and CD PDFs. This would take the burder of dealing with orders off me, and reduce the annoying number of screwups on my part, and make ordering easier for the customers.

In any event, it will be some time before they are re-released. progress is slow, and Bomber Projects takes up most of my available time.

YAHOOO!!!! Scott, you make my day))))

Orionblamblam said:
Having not wandered by "The Bar" in more'n a month, I missed this discussion. Here's the scoop:
1) Most of the time I have to spend on Projects-related projects is devoted to my Bomber Projects book.
2) The plan is to re-release a *completely* reworked APR. There were the usual errors - typographical as well as factual - as well as pictures of dubious quality (I'm vastly better wth image processing now)
3) I also have much more to add... both stuff that had to be left out due to space requirements, and new stuff I've found since original publication (for example: Issue V1N2 had a nice article on the Boeing Model 979 flyback booster, based on the Saturn S-Ic stage; I have discovered a trunkload of new stuff not only on that design, but also on other flyback S-Ic stages, so the reworked article is greatly expanded, maybe 3-5 times the original and covering *all* flyback S-Ic stages, not just the 979)
4) I will be re-releasing them as whole volumes (V1N1 through V1N6, for example), as they are completed

I need to look into this further, but having purchased several books through lulu.com, I am very tempted to use them. I send them the electonic file, they print, bind and mail the book as the orders come in. They also do downloadable and CD PDFs. This would take the burder of dealing with orders off me, and reduce the annoying number of screwups on my part, and make ordering easier for the customers.

In any event, it will be some time before they are re-released. progress is slow, and Bomber Projects takes up most of my available time.

Sweet! Do prior susbscribers get a discount? ;)

sferrin said:

Ummm... sure. Former subscribers will get a $10 discount on each new volume of APR. However, since recordskeeping was shoddy, I'll have to charge a modest $20 records searching fee for anyone claiming to have been a subscriber. Just passing the savings on to you...

A side note: here's why things are taking so long. You wait *months* to get information on the General Dynamics AMPSS submission (predecessor to B-1), and when you get it... swathes are missing from the drawing and need to be interpolated. Grrr.

Attachments

• GD AMPSS mini.gif
    GD AMPSS mini.gif
    14.7 KB · Views: 140
Orionblamblam said:
sferrin said:

Ummm... sure. Former subscribers will get a $10 discount on each new volume of APR. However, since recordskeeping was shoddy, I'll have to charge a modest $20 records searching fee for anyone claiming to have been a subscriber. Just passing the savings on to you...

A side note: here's why things are taking so long. You wait *months* to get information on the General Dynamics AMPSS submission (predecessor to B-1), and when you get it... swathes are missing from the drawing and need to be interpolated. Grrr.

email me the full size and let me take a crack at it.

I only recently became aware of your work on APR Scott, having seen what's on your site you can count me in for copies of APR and your bomber book as and when they become available :)

Waiting can be frustrating but I'm sure all of us here would rather you do a decent job of it rather than it be a Yefim Gordon job! :eek:

Orionblamblam said:

Damn, Scott, that's great news!! This original subscriber will most definitely be continuing/updating his subscription when this becomes available.

That's great news! I have all my copies of APR sitting right here. :D

Mybe you'll be able to add some more material on British Supersonic/Hypersonic projects.

sferrin said:
email me the full size and let me take a crack at it.

No need, I've already pieced the drawing together and filled in the empty spots, best I could. This is it with the other pre-B-1 designs I've drawn up so far. Much yet to do on the B-1, though... very little documentation is readily available on the other designs. Many FOIA requests out, many more to go, and many, many months between responses. Gah.

Attachments

• B-1 collect.gif
    B-1 collect.gif
    67.8 KB · Views: 130
Scott - can you explain whose birds are these (clockwise) ? Thanks!

I like the GD design. It's like an F-111 on Steroids. Of course, the Boeing design is also incredibly reminiscent of their TFX submission and that bottom NA design has obvious XB-70 ties.

Very cool drawings Scott, thanks. I'm looking forward to the book.

Well that definitely explains it. Talk about trying to get as much mileage as possible out of a design!

I like the GD design. It's like an F-111 on Steroids
Well GD, stuck with that general airframe form since late '50s ;) Look at the last iteration of the Super Hustler in Miller's B-58 Second Edition.

Orionblamblam said:
Overkiller said:
Waiting can be frustrating but I'm sure all of us here would rather you do a decent job of it rather than it be a Yefim Gordon job! :eek:

I missed this one. What exactly do you mean by "a Yefim Gordon job?" What ar ethe complaints, exactly?

Maybe he's referring to Gordon's biased commentary? As far as your writing goes I like it. I had to laugh at your "I finally get to swear" comment in the last issue (come on you know the Germans really had flying saucers ;) )

Orionblamblam said:
I missed this one. What exactly do you mean by "a Yefim Gordon job?" What ar ethe complaints, exactly?

In common words, kidda of stealing and copying-pasting, forgetting to mention copyrights and authors, etc. as described in MiG-31 thread. Who of us are without a sin, meanwhile...

Yefim Gordon does little or no research of his own, prefering to liberally borrow whole chapters of other people's books more or less verbatim and passing it off as his own work, even to the extend of contradicting himself by borrowing from two sources that disagree.

I can't think of a less appropriate comparison to Scott, who is making every drawing for his book himself and researching in archives and FOIA requests... ;D

overscan said:
Scott, who is making every drawing for his book himself ...

Indeed. Latest progress on B-1 antecedants. The new one is a North American design, with wings that coudl sweep back *more* than 90 degrees, leaving jsut little stubs for the supersonic dash.

Attachments

• B-1 collect.gif
    B-1 collect.gif
    19.5 KB · Views: 108
Orionblamblam said:
overscan said:
Scott, who is making every drawing for his book himself ...

Indeed. Latest progress on B-1 antecedants. The new one is a North American design, with wings that coudl sweep back *more* than 90 degrees, leaving jsut little stubs for the supersonic dash.

This is probably a stupid question but when you put it out on disc will the drawings be higher resolution? (Source files would be even better :-* <---- that icon cracks me up)

overscan said:
I imagine Scott is restricting the size of his previews to encourage us to buy the book ;D

Damn straight. If you check out my website, you can see snippets of a higher-rez drawing. As the drawings are done on a CAD system, I can print them out whatever rezolution I want... but if I make the full-rez version available now, there would be less point in buying the book!