SCAT-18 SST

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
I recieved photos of a display model yesterday. The only hints as to identity is that the model comes from the estate of an aeronautical engineer from Georgia... thus "Lockheed" springs immediately behind. But the tail looks suspiciously Boeing-SST. Anybody ever see this beastie before?

Attachments

• IMG_3869.jpg
    IMG_3869.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_3870.jpg
    IMG_3870.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_3871.jpg
    IMG_3871.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_3872.jpg
    IMG_3872.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_3873.jpg
    IMG_3873.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_3875.jpg
    IMG_3875.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3877.jpg
    IMG_3877.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 82
SCAT-18 SST

The remaining photos. My guess is that this is an early/mid 1960's Lockheed SST design. It's just bizarre enough to be from those early experimental days, and it just doesn't have that "bomber feel" to it.

I have the slightest hint of recognition with it, I *think* from a NASA wind tunnel report. But I can't place it.

SCAT-18 SST

Attachments

• IMG_3882.jpg
    IMG_3882.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3881.jpg
    IMG_3881.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3879.jpg
    IMG_3879.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 93
Very nice - would look good on one my bookshelves....

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Found this...

Attachments

• SCAT 15F (F for fixed wing).jpg
    SCAT 15F (F for fixed wing).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 113
Very nice model.
3 view of this aircraft with, I believe, this very desktop model in the inset, was already posted in this forum somwhere. It was captioned "modified SCAT 4". I cannot identify the manufacturer though.

<edit (to avoid doubleposting)>
The picture I was talking about was attached to hesham's post here:
In Scott's post here:
however, this design was identified as SCAT 18-1.
Was it "modified SCAT 4" renamed to "SCAT 18-1" later or was it just incorrectly captioned?

Here's the thread:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,483.15.html

Scott's post #18 has the drawing below - looks to be Scat 18-2. Hesham has some other possible match ups in
Reply #113 and #320. Page 289 of the NASA report that Hesham references also has a possible reference.

HTH! Mark

Attachments

• SCAT.GIF
    SCAT.GIF
    72.4 KB · Views: 258
mattrix said:
Was it "modified SCAT 4" renamed to "SCAT 18-1" later or was it just incorrectly captioned?

My guess is that the swept-wing SCAT-4 was modified into an M-wing, and the resulting configuration was sufficiently different that it was re-named the SCAT-18.

Cool!

I'd buy it for $3 !!

Thanks Scott - pretty neat.

Plenty of stuff to think about on that model.

That is the coolest M-Wing I've seen yet.
How about this one?

I have found this British bird in "The Anatomy of the Airplane" by Darrol Stinton. BTW, could it be Handley-Page HP-110 as the author did not give the correct ID? M-Wing concept was not, of course, totally alien to German designers by the and of WWII if we consider such proposals as a high-speed FW-190 V-19 or even Blohm u. Voss P.188.

Thank you Scott.
I understand that the merit of such design is having "aerodynamically thin" high-speed airfoil while keeping it "sufficiently structurally thick" and still being able, at design stage, to control the position of the resultant lift vector.
Are there any others advantages of such wing? What are the "buts" then? Are there any particular advantages of using M/W-Wings for, say, sub-, trans-, and supersonic flight?

Attachments

• HP110_x01.jpg
    HP110_x01.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 168
Ouch! US bird pretty... UK bird ugly!

Wonder if the M shape would be compatible with stealthy characteristics. I imagine that the more different angles and surfaces, the more likely the radar signal is likely to get diverted and dispersed, but looking at the plane I'm not so sure...

I can't understand this wing shape. ???
To get high aspect ratio for long endurance using small surface light weight wing keeping large swept angle?
(Cut front part of large wing?) ???
To get good view for first class? ;D
This wing has dogtooth for wing tip stall.

I have found this British bird in "The Anatomy of the Airplane" by Darrol Stinton. BTW, could it be Handley-Page HP-110 as the author did not give the correct ID?

It's the Armstrong-Whitworth AW.P13003 project, design specs., 100pax at M1.2 over 1,500 miles.

From 'Stuck on the Drawing Board', page 67.

cheers,
Robin.

I can't understand this wing shape.
To get high aspect ratio for long endurance using small surface light weight wing keeping large swept angle?
(Cut front part of large wing?)
To get good view for first class?
This wing has dogtooth for wing tip stall.

The M-wing, like the W-wing of the BV-188 bomber projects, and the M-wing Fw190 projects, allows you to exploit the
aerodynamic advantages of a swept wing, while still building what is effectively a straight winged aircraft, as in the
problems of excessively aft centre of pressure are avoided.
Note how _everything_ is area-ruled, even the engine nacelles.
And here's the best bit, the nose spike with the cone generates a supersonic shock, that at the aircrafts' cruising
speed, envelopes the the entire aircraft, that is, there is no shock impingement on any part of the airframe.

cheers,
Robin.

Hi,

didn't know where to put it… Here is a "later" SCAT model picture as seen on the bay. Enjoy.

A.

Attachments

• SCAT-later-RSG35971.jpg
    SCAT-later-RSG35971.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 181