Scalability of Multicopter launch/recovery system enabled VTOL?

shin_getter

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hoodtech developed a means of launching and recovering a scaneagle drone (22kg, 111km/h cruise speed) by dropping it from a multicopter to launch and hooking it to one for recovery.

scaneagleflarescopy.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny-IoD78W5o

The thing I'm thinking about is the sheer scalability of the idea. How big and fast an aircraft can systems like these scale up to? The utility of such a system is great as the cost of V/STOL systems is now determined by the rate of takeoff/landing as opposed having to be fitted on every aircraft operating at the site.

Now the hook system is unlikely to work for heavy aircraft, however the overall concept can still work with a different (see parasite aircraft concepts) hooking arrangement. Such a system can be helpful in shortening runway requirements even without 100% lifting power over the payload.

If an idea like these can scale up to dozens of tons, it would almost cover all use cases. So what are the show-stoppers?

When I first saw it in 2015 I found it a cool idea, but was immediately concerned about the recovery system (for obvious reasons)... Especially that part limits scalability.

With nowadays technology I think it would be possible to pickup the fixed wing in forward flight with a special "hook" and a corresponding "automated recovery manoeuvre"... Let's see how things develop ;)

Last edited:
Hmm a new thought has hit me on the application of systems like this:

How practical is it for a electrical, V/STOL "launcher" stage to accelerate a ramjet payload up to operating speed? One can do it with a high attitude drop if forward velocity is too challenging.

The idea is to shave as much expense off a long range supersonic missile. Not sure how much advantage can be gained over rocket-ramjet combinations.

Last edited:
Why an electric VTOL? Maybe the only thing with less usable payload fraction is a laser powered kite.

Just use a B-52 or something for a long-range air launched missile.

A catapult seems more practical than a quadcopter for launching a drone, especially at a tiny altitude of "maybe 500 feet" that the OP thing was launched at. I guess if the quad were flying at 20,000 feet it might be useful but probably not.

Practical recovery of such a tiny UAS is a volleyball net strung up between some poles. If it's good enough for Pioneer and battleships...