• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Scalability of Multicopter launch/recovery system enabled VTOL?

shin_getter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hoodtech developed a means of launching and recovering a scaneagle drone (22kg, 111km/h cruise speed) by dropping it from a multicopter to launch and hooking it to one for recovery.

scaneagleflarescopy.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny-IoD78W5o

The thing I'm thinking about is the sheer scalability of the idea. How big and fast an aircraft can systems like these scale up to? The utility of such a system is great as the cost of V/STOL systems is now determined by the rate of takeoff/landing as opposed having to be fitted on every aircraft operating at the site.

Now the hook system is unlikely to work for heavy aircraft, however the overall concept can still work with a different (see parasite aircraft concepts) hooking arrangement. Such a system can be helpful in shortening runway requirements even without 100% lifting power over the payload.

If an idea like these can scale up to dozens of tons, it would almost cover all use cases. So what are the show-stoppers?

coanda

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I had thought about doing this, but discarded it for my projects on the basis that its fully twice the work for no actual gain. It's not particularly scaleable in terms of square/cube laws, practicalities of operations or safety.

VTOLicious

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
When I first saw it in 2015 I found it a cool idea, but was immediately concerned about the recovery system (for obvious reasons)... Especially that part limits scalability.

With nowadays technology I think it would be possible to pickup the fixed wing in forward flight with a special "hook" and a corresponding "automated recovery manoeuvre"... Let's see how things develop ;)

Last edited: