Savoia Marchetti S.84

FXXII

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
I have a picture postcard, which shows an aircraft called the Savoia Marchetti SM 84, resembling a DC-2 It says it was with Air Lottoria, but Wiki does not mention this type. Has anybody more information and the history of this good looking aircraft?

Thanks

If I remember correctly, this book contains some info about SM-84, including 3-view.
I don't had it in possession yet.

There is a little.
"SM.84
Some confusion resulted from the designation SM.84, originally applied in 1935 to a twin engined transport. later, during the war, the number was given to a three-engined bomber developed from the SM.79 Sparviero.
The civil transport, while bearing a general similarity to the Douglas DC-3 and no doubt influenced by it, was actually an eighteen-passenger twin-engined development of the SM.73. Powered by 900 h.p. Gnome-Rhone 14 Krsd fourteen-cylinder radial engines, the SM.84 weighed 13,200 lb. empty and 20,900 lb. loaded, including 594 lb. of baggage and 1144 lb. of cargo and mail. Performance included a maximum speed of 220 m.p.h. at 6560 ft., a cruising speed of 196 m.p.h., and a landing speed of 57 m.p.h. Service ceiling was 25,584 ft. and range 621 miles. The SM.84 transport climbed to 13,120 ft. in 18 min. Dimensions were: span 78 ft. 8 3/4 in., length 64 ft. 11 1/3 in., height 15 ft. 7 in., and wing area 1000.7 sq. ft. The airliner never went into production."

Thanks for all your interesting information! It has modern landinggear doors, but the horizontal tailplane has supporting struts. In general, it has clean aerodynamic looks. What happened to the this prototype? I'll check on the Fiat GR-18 and APR-2. Thanks for the good photo's.

Sideview from the above metioned J.Thompson's book. Curiously, the book states for SM.84 designantion for both airliner and later developed torpedo-bomber
SM84_side.JPG

Thre more S.84 photos, from the collection, represented by Club Modellismo Plastico Ravenna.
Copyright (if I understand correctly) - Giorgio DI GIORGIO and Saverio RADOGNA

1563964120540.png
1563964139416.png
1563964157052.png

Last edited:
The Club Modellismo Plastico Ravenna reports the S-84 as "SM-84 civile" meaning a commercial version of the SM-84 bomber that is incorrect.

Since the S-84 was designed by since like a sort of DC-2 (among other Italian types of that times like the FIAT G-18) while the SM-84 was obtained as evolution of the SM-79 bomber, especially developed as torpedo carrier for anti-ship warfare.

The Club Modellismo Plastico Ravenna reports the S-84 as "SM-84 civile" meaning a commercial version of the SM-84 bomber that is incorrect.

Since the S-84 was designed by since like a sort of DC-2 (among other Italian types of that times like the FIAT G-18) while the SM-84 was obtained as evolution of the SM-79 bomber, especially developed as torpedo carrier for anti-ship warfare.

Curiously, internal layout picture is closer to SM-79, then to actual S.84 airliner's photo - compare, please, fuselage shape and vertical empennage.

Curiously, internal layout picture is closer to SM-79, then to actual S.84 airliner's photo - compare, please, fuselage shape and vertical empennage.

Yes, the interal view is a sort of mishmash, between the actual S-84 and an SM-75 first series (more appropriated rather the SM-79).

Thanks everybody for this interesting indormation. I have trouble understanding the background of the S-84 (for the DC-2 civil liner) and the S-84 (née S-79 bomber). Are they different designs? Or are they related or similar? Has anybody pictures of these two design lines? Further, who was resposible for designation model names? Was it the director of Savoia Marchetti, or was it the Italian government?

Comparison of SM.84 and S.84, that I prepared from Thomposn's book illustrations.

S.84_SM.84_compare.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for this interesting indormation. I have trouble understanding the background of the S-84 (for the DC-2 civil liner) and the S-84 (née S-79 bomber). Are they different designs? Or are they related or similar? Has anybody pictures of these two design lines? Further, who was resposible for designation model names? Was it the director of Savoia Marchetti, or was it the Italian government?
They are completelly different. The only thing they have common is the name. It seems that the tri-motor bomber supposed to be designated SM.89, maybe to show its lineage to S.79, but maybe by mistake, maybe from other reason the final designation was SM.84. this didn't matter because a) the liner was properly named "S".84 (change from S to SM happened in the late '30s) and b) because it didnt really matter, since the liner was alread dead project.