SAML Aviatik A-3 and Breda A.1

Jan den Das

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hi[/size][/size]Who can help me with drawings/pictures/dimensions etc. concerning the S.A.M.L. Aviatik A-3.I found that this type was also build after the war at the breda factory as Breda A-1 and powered by a Colombo engine. The only information I found of this is on the site of Airwar.ru.On the site of goldenyears (serials) I found that the aeroplane showed on the site of Airwar as Breda A-1 after checking the serial was mentioned as Aviatik.
[/size]
Who can give me more information concerning the differences between the SAML Aviatik A-3 and the Breda version the Breda A.1

[/size]If there are any drawings of the Breda A.1 are these also welcome, just like pictures of this version.

[/size]Thanks Jan[/size]
[/color]

Well looking at the GA drawing of a normal Aviatik (for which I would imagine the SAML license-built differed only in engine) and a Breda A.1, the first difference straight away is the side by side seating of the Breda, compared to the tandem of the Aviatik, To allow for the side by side seating in the , it is possible that the fuselage may have been widened, but I do not have definite evidence to confirm this. The fuselage of the Breda seems to be wider and deeper but the rudder area seems to have reduced. Another factor is the lack of sweepback of the wings on the Breda type. Also the horizontal tailplane also seems to be of reduced area. Also as I posted this, I realised I forgot to mention the fact that both wings of the Breda are of equal span whereas the Aviatik has reduced span on the lower wings.
aviatikb1-1.gif bredaa1-1.gif

Last edited:
Hai
Thanks for the information.
But I found out that there has never be an A.1.
My opinion is that they started with the B.1, airliner, modified Caproni bomber.
A.2 was a monoplane, A.3 bomber.
A.4 side-by-side biplane trainer.
The Breda drawing you are showing was the prototype of the A.4.
Wrong information mentioned by several is that there was a Breda A.3 biplane trainer.
There was the SAML A.3 and this one was build by several factories and the most were bought by Breda for there flying schools, on the fuselage sites there is shown A.3 but NOT Breda A.3 as shown by several Breda's.