Russian PL-19 / Nudol ASAT system

It is easier for a weaker space power to make LEO unavailable to a greater power-thus my push for ever larger HLLVs -no depots-and push Orbital Antenna Farms out of reach..The "Skip LEO" approach puts the First World nation back ahead leaving LEO safer. Mike Griffin was right.

Last edited:
We are living through the beginning of the movie Gravity.

That field of debris is threatening the ISS, the Chinese space station, and the Starlink satellite fleet below.
:eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

View: https://twitter.com/joroulette/status/1475565161784221706

Some new bits in this story. In an interview, Dmitry Rogozin indicates he's unhappy with all the "debris scattered across the orbit" from Russia's ASAT test and says its unlikely the Russian military will test-launch another one in the future.

Also - the State Department is considering calling for an antisatellite test moratorium, possibly during the Conference on Disarmament in Geneva next year, per two US officials.

A day before the ASAT test, senior NASA officials flew to Moscow to negotiate two key ISS agreements, meeting with Rogozin for dinner at one point. They echoed Nelson's condemnation of the test, and "it was a very productive discussion,” Cabana says.

Nelson strongly condemned the RU military's ASAT test, but speculated that his counterpart Rogozin didn't see it coming. Indeed, in the interview, Rogozin said Roscosmos wasn't consulted prior. But he added: “I’m not going to tell you everything I know.”

The analysis shows that the bulk of roughly 1,500 debris pieces being tracked by Space Command’s 18th Space Control Squadron — 904 pieces of which have been put in the public catalog — will de-orbit within approximately a three year timespan.

View: https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1550161115979579395

ASAP’s Mark Sirangelo says the ISS received 681 conjunction notifications through June 1 of this year; 505 linked to Russian ASAT test. Number of conjunctions has increased “by multiples” in recent years.
#SpaceDebris update from Russia's 15 Nov 2021 DA-ASAT test. As of 25 July 2022, 1774 objects have been cataloged w 1086 having already decayed. 419 objects pose a potential risk to human space flight (i.e., geometric intersection possible) and 37 of the fragments are "lost".

View: https://twitter.com/shell_jim/status/1551743824862388225

I asked the experts on NSF regarding the above and this is the reply I received.

This is not Nudol. The desert-like terrain seen in the video suggests this is an anti-missile test launch from Kapustin Yar or Sary Shagan. It's definitely not Plesetsk, which is the home base of Nudol. Many websites confuse Nudol with the A-235 anti-ballistic missile system to be installed around Moscow and incorrectly link test flights under A-235 to Nudol. This also seems to have happened here. We do know what Nudol looks like (see Reply 122), but so far the Russians have released no video of it.

Didn't think to check whether the terrain matched Plesetsk or not. It most certainly does not. Plesetsk is surrounded by forests!

Sorry for the confusion.