• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Russia sticks with the MIG-1.44?

griml0ck122

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Pretty simple, what if the Russians don't flip flop around with their 5th gen program and decide to keep developing the Mig 1.44?
Would they have a 5th gen(ish) aircraft earlier? what would it's export potential be? how effective would it be?

my 2 cents are
It would be operational earlier that su-57, but the numbers would remain low. it might get some exports to the usual suspects, and china (who are probably going to rip one apart for engineering purposes). In terms of effectivness... probably on par with the su-57, with a slight disadvantage in stealth and versatility. It's no f-22 or j-20, but I think the mig could do the air superiority job fine against typhoons and f-15s, and put up a decent showing against US fifth gens.

Avimimus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I wonder what the original service date would have been if the Cold War had continued?

Empire

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
To me the 1-44/42 would have been a souped up euro-fighter like design. If they had gone ahead with the project. Here is my take on the 1-42 design. Give the air intake a stealthy smiley face modification like a euro-fighter, RAM for the leading edges of the wings, vertical stabilizers, canards, and the intake edges plus interior. Internal weapons carriage. Stealthy radome design cant the dish. They probably could have got the front RCS down to a little better than the euro-fighter just because of the internal weapons bay.

F-2

Reaction score
I’ve been very curious on how the Mig 1.44 would have shaped up. It’s important to remember that the Mig 1.44 was like the YF-22/YF-23 in that it was more a proof of concept then a real combat aircraft. The hard part of development had yet to begin and with some fourth gen aircraft already in production and a general sense that a future combat aircraft would be more like the F-22 then say a delta canard type aircraft it makes sense it was canceled. Still I often wondered how the Mig 1.44 would have shaped up to be and compared to its contemporaries. Khai in the Ukraine did the subscale flight testing, I keep threatening to request documentation from them someday. It would be fun to compare it to the flankers and eurocanards.

F-2

Reaction score
How does the Su-47 compared to it ?
Su-47 has far more agility and maneuverability than MiG-1.44 because of its forward swept wings.
I actually wonder if any of these FSW fighters, the Su-47, X-29 etc, would have made viable production combat aircraft
I always thought the Su-47 with its working internal weapons bay, would have been a good combat aircraft especially in the export market.

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
As Paralay, Paul, and F-2 have said the 1.44 had veryyyy different requirements than the ATF program. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the MFI program was to be an extension of the PVO umbrella; where as the ATF had all-aspect stealth to penetrate the Soviet defenses.
1. Super-cruise for threat reaction
2. Low frontal RCS
3. High fuel fraction/long loiter capability
4. Large weapons reserves

paralay

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
The F-22 was supposed to surpass the Su-27 and MiG-29
MFI should be better than Su-27, MiG-31 and ATF
That's the difference. Therefore, the MFI turned out to be larger than the Raptor

KimIrSen

Reaction score
I think comparing the MiG 1.44 to eurocanards misses themark, considering that the eurocanards were much smaller and shorter legged than the MFI fighter,who was massive even by russian standards. It would have been a pure fighter/interceptor. I doubt the russians would have exported it in the short term like they did with the Su 27 if they had the money to pursue MFI, since the soviets didn't export their top of the line designs like the Mig 31.

F-2

Reaction score
I think comparing the MiG 1.44 to eurocanards misses themark, considering that the eurocanards were much smaller and shorter legged than the MFI fighter,who was massive even by russian standards. It would have been a pure fighter/interceptor. I doubt the russians would have exported it in the short term like they did with the Su 27 if they had the money to pursue MFI, since the soviets didn't export their top of the line designs like the Mig 31.
I believe mfi was very much about producing a Multirole aircraft. Mfi is something like multi functional fighter in English. That said I feel like the Eurofighter it would be a multi role but air to air would be its primary job.