Rockwell Fixed Wing B-1 proposals

Orionblamblam

ACCESS: USAP
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
5 April 2006
Messages
11,910
Reaction score
9,712
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Back during the dark era of jimmy Carter, Rockwell proposed a variant of the B-1 that had fixed wings and was optimized to carry, subsonically, a bunch of cruise missiles. Aviation Week ran an article on it back then, complete with drawings. I *know* I had a copy of that, but for the life of me I can't find it. Anybody here know the article I mean, or something similar?
 
Mike Spick's Salamander book on B-1 has a drawing of this, but its not a three view, its an isometric view from below of the "core" fixed wing B-1 section and then below it the different add on parts for the roles of "strategic weapons carrier", "near-term penetrator" "conventional bomber" and "tanker". Wings were fixed at 25 degrees, and titanium decreased to 8% to save costs. I can scan it for you if you want?
 
overscan said:
Mike Spick's Salamander book on B-1 has a drawing of this, but its not a three view, its an isometric view from below of the "core" fixed wing B-1 section and then below it the different add on parts for the roles of "strategic weapons carrier", "near-term penetrator" "conventional bomber" and "tanker". Wings were fixed at 25 degrees, and titanium decreased to 8% to save costs. I can scan it for you if you want?

This? (courtesy of Jschmus with my eternal gratitude - I love this canceled project)
 

Attachments

  • B1fixwing.jpg
    B1fixwing.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,849
I love this site! When I read the description of the drawing I thought "that sounds sounds interesting" but then when I saw it it was "hey, I've GOT that somewhere". Boxes and boxes of books out in the shed. I'm sure many here can relate. ;D
 
As a kid and teenager I bought loads of books, I had WAPJ 1-8, lots of Salamander books, some Aerofax etc, and I went to study Aeronautical Engineering at University. When that went wrong, and I left the course, I threw away everything except my Mikoyan Docavia and Project Cancelled.

I was going to study English and become a writer or something. No more planes for me!

Now, I've re-bought many of the Salamander books (Warplanes of the Future, Modern Air Combat, etc) nice and cheap second hand. I have a huge collection of books. It was the Internet that got me back into aircraft, and especially forums. They turn what can be a solitary passion into a shared one, which is so much more fun ;)
 
1). B-1 SAL (Strategic ALCM Launcher) November 1979
2). B-1 Core Aircraft Family
 

Attachments

  • b1sal-a.jpg
    b1sal-a.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,065
  • b1sal-b.jpg
    b1sal-b.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,591
overscan said:
As a kid and teenager I bought loads of books, I had WAPJ 1-8, lots of Salamander books, some Aerofax etc, and I went to study Aeronautical Engineering at University. When that went wrong, and I left the course, I threw away everything except my Mikoyan Docavia and Project Cancelled.

I was going to study English and become a writer or something. No more planes for me!

Now, I've re-bought many of the Salamander books (Warplanes of the Future, Modern Air Combat, etc) nice and cheap second hand. I have a huge collection of books. It was the Internet that got me back into aircraft, and especially forums. They turn what can be a solitary passion into a shared one, which is so much more fun ;)
I have the entire WAPJ and WoF set and it's one of my most prized possessions! When I moved several years back from Dallas, Texas, to the Kansas City area, I wouldn't let the movers take the WAPJ/WoF volumes. I took them myself in my car!
 
flateric said:
1). B-1 SAL (Strategic ALCM Launcher) November 1979
2). B-1 Core Aircraft Family

Thank you very much. I have been looking for these drawings for 10 years.
 
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I am amazed at the wealth of information on this site and cannot think of a better place to ask this question, so here it goes. An article on the i-net states that Rockwell proposed a fixed wing, low cost version of the B-1 to the USAF after the Carter administration cancelled the B-1 program. Obviously the AF did nothing with this. Does anyone have drawings, info, sketches or anything on this proposal?

Fishjay (Lester)
 
Hope this helps!

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,411.0/highlight,b-1+fixed+wing.html
 
Thanks! You guys are good! I guess this begs another question. Did the article where these drawings were taken from mention how much of a cost savings the fixed wings would produce? I imagine the AF was completely turned off by this proposal (wanted supersonic performance?). Did the article give a top speed? Oops, my bad, that's two questions.

Fishjay
 
est. price would decrease from 68.5 bln for B-1 to 43.3 for fixed wing Strategic Weapons Launcher (figured for 100 aircrafts)
speed was limited to subsonic, with low level penteration speed reduced to M=0.80
max altitude decreased to 42,000 feet

this is a book you really need to catch if you Bone nut
http://www.donloganbooks.com/B1b.htm
http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer/book_template.php?isbn=0887406661
 

Attachments

  • fea5_1.JPG
    fea5_1.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 905
est. price would decrease from 68.5 bln for B-1 to 43.3 for fixed wing Strategic Weapons Launcher (figured for 100 aircrafts)



I remember reading that the cost of the redesign (fixed wings, redesigned engine inlets and exhausts, modular option) would have ultimately cost more in 1980's dollars, when the new version would have seen service, with inflation than simply carrying on with the original B-1A program.

In the wake of the cancellation of B-1A, Rockwell tried to re-market this fixed-wing B-1 as an all purpose transonic "do all" tactical/strategic airplane to the USAF whose savings would be realized in numbers but not necessarily unit cost. Imagine replacing all B-52s, F-111s, and KC-135s with a common airframe in the hundreds and the production support costs you could realize over the years, etc........
 
I wonder if they referenced this as a starting point for the B-1R? I thought they considered fixed wings for that at some point.
 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROCKWELL-INTERNATIONAL-STRATEGIC-AIRCRAFT-CONCEPTS-/170615823996?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8995587281053883026#ht_1086wt_907

10 page mini pamphlet actually.
 

Attachments

  • download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,024
  • download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 858
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 892
Various fixed wing B-1 proposals

Aviation Week October 10 1977, December 12 1977, September 17 1979

I like the early design with delta wing. Note that the wind tunnel model is a VG model with wings set to 25 deg to test aerodynamics of the fixed wing ALCM carrier.
 

Attachments

  • B-1FixedWing5.jpg
    B-1FixedWing5.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 663
  • B-1FixedWing4.png
    B-1FixedWing4.png
    168.6 KB · Views: 535
  • B-1FixedWing3.png
    B-1FixedWing3.png
    166 KB · Views: 587
  • B-1FixedWing2.png
    B-1FixedWing2.png
    165.1 KB · Views: 851
  • B-1FixedWing1.jpg
    B-1FixedWing1.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 809
I wonder whether a fixed wing B-1 would have had greater longevity than the B-1B, and potentially replaced more B-52s?
 
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I wonder whether a fixed wing B-1 would have had greater longevity than the B-1B, and potentially replaced more B-52s?

The 100 was just a round number to tide the USAF over until the B-2 was suppose to replace the B-52. Probably would have been the same situation. (Or do you mean life in service?)
 
Various fixed wing B-1 proposals

Aviation Week October 10 1977, December 12 1977, September 17 1979

I like the early design with delta wing. Note that the wind tunnel model is a VG model with wings set to 25 deg to test aerodynamics of the fixed wing ALCM carrier.
Oh, I do like that delta winged version!

I wonder, with what we know now about supercritical wings and all, if you could make a fixed wing supersonic B-1. Say, max speed of Mach 1.4 or 1.5, just enough to get out of the ugly transonic area. Supercruise desired.
 
Back
Top Bottom