• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Multi-Wing proposal(?) for the US Army

boxkite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In the German edition „Die ungewöhnlichsten Flugzeuge der Welt“ of the English original „The World’s Strangest Aircraft“ a table with different STOL – VTOL research aircraft layouts (from the 1950s) was published. An example is given to each category (for instance Bell X-14 for deflected jet, McDonnel XV-1 for unloaded rotor, Bell XV-3 for tilting rotor, etc.). Only one of the impressions, the multi-wing, is a mystery for me. Because all of the other sketches have a real background, I assume there was one (?) proposal for such a multi-wing STOL aircraft. In the scan is shown only a part of the table to give an impression of one of the other sketches (the tilting rotor XV-3).

Does anybody know more if actually a multi-wing was designed on the drawing board?

boxkite

Reaction score
Could it be the Goodyear "Convo"? It's only speculation due to the description as a flying shade/(roller) blind ... I'm looking for details on this Goodyear design.

Attachments

• multi-wing.jpg
    multi-wing.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 345

yasotay

Reaction score
Also it might have been an Army proposal that was not taken on by any of the contractors, and thus just a consideration that the Army might have considered worth looking at.

Stargazer2006

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
boxkite said:
Does anybody know more if actually a multi-wing was designed on the drawing board?

Yes, the Beechcraft PD-159-1-1 Cascade, a likely contender of the Goodyear aircraft shown above.
See http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,12266.msg120299.html#msg120299