RFI: Any book(s) specifically on the Convair F2Y "Sea Dart" program

OM

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.io.com
...Has there been a book that covers in detail the Convair F2Y Sea Dart beyond a few paragraphs and a couple of photos?

XB-70 Guy said:
NAVAL FIGHTER SERIES Google it

...Did that, and found that someone's pirated the damn thing and made it available on Rapidshare. As I tend to prefer real, bound paper for research materials, and I don't deal with Amazon anymore, I'll at least have one title to drop off to a friend who works for the local Half-Assed Books to keep an eye out for. Are there any other books you know of, and how well does this one rate overall?

The largest description that I have (and know about) is the six page article in Klassiker der Luftfahrt magazine 04/2006. But its in "a few paragraphs and a couple of photos" category in general.

OM said:
XB-70 Guy said:
NAVAL FIGHTER SERIES Google it

...Did that, and found that someone's pirated the damn thing and made it available on Rapidshare. As I tend to prefer real, bound paper for research materials, and I don't deal with Amazon anymore, I'll at least have one title to drop off to a friend who works for the local Half-Assed Books to keep an eye out for. Are there any other books you know of, and how well does this one rate overall?
Order from NAVAL FIGHTERS directly Steve Ginter Books

Two illustrations not in the Ginter published monograph. Color photo showing the lower side of XF2Y BuNo137634 is from the Navy Archives at the Washington Navy Yard. The illustration is from B.J. Long's SETP article.

Attachments

• F2Y Lower Side Color.jpg
    F2Y Lower Side Color.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 155
  • F2Y0001.jpg
    F2Y0001.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 207
Hi!
Thanks for pictures!

Perhaps Sea Dart is one and only supersonic aircraft with the tailwheel?
I couldn't remember any others in the moment :cool:

Cheers!

'Hydro-ski fighter' an article by Bill Gunston,
'Aeroplane Monthly', December 1975, pp.634-9,
includes a 3-view.

cheers,
Robin.

There is an issue of Wings from the early 1990s that dealt with the Sea Dart I think. I need to find it in my basement though.

Robert, I took the liberty of merging two of your excellent Sea Dart photographs (YF2Y-1_27.jpg and YF2Y-1_29.jpg) into one. Hope you don't mind!

Attachments

• Sea Dart 1.jpg
    Sea Dart 1.jpg
    737.8 KB · Views: 145
Stargazer2006 said:
Robert, I took the liberty of merging two of your excellent Sea Dart photographs (YF2Y-1_27.jpg and YF2Y-1_29.jpg) into one. Hope you don't mind!
Hi

Was the Convair the first aircraft to have the two glass triangular V wind sceen?
The Avro 720 was to be fitted with one about the same time but was it originally a NACA idea?

Here's a shot that is not in any book. I shot this from a moving vehicle during an Open House at Pax River back in '75 or '76.

Mike

Attachments

• Sea Dart in storage.jpg
    Sea Dart in storage.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 97
Silencer1,

this is a bit off topic, but the Saab Draken also had two retractable tail wheels as shown in the picture at http://www.flugzeuginfo.net/acimages/saab35draken_karldrage.jpg.

Martin

There is another Sea dart in front of the San Diego Air and space museum in Balboa Park.

Spark,

the Douglas Skystreak and Skyrocket flew with that windshield configuration in 1947/1948.

Martin

Stargazer2006 said:

Nope, don't mind at all. Looks nice - I've thought of doing that but just haven't gotten around to it :)

I will talk to a friend, her father was a senior chief who worked on the program, and she has a few photos he took, not sure how useful they will be, but I can see about scanning them if theres interest

Back
Top Bottom