Request for MS.1500 Epervier pictures

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
For the next part of my Morane Saulnier series, I'm looking for photos of the
MS.1500 Epervier. I've got the ones from Cunys "Les Avions De Combat Francais",
from the Le Fana article, from J.C.Fayers "Les Prototypes De L' AviationFrancais"
and from other sources and sites. Unfortunately the quality often is quite low,
especially details are hardly recognisable most 3-views and profiles are fraught with
errors. Most of the pictures still found yet are shown below. I would be very grateful for
any new addition, especially if showing the first prototype with one of the other engines
besides the Marcadau and Bastan IIB.
Many thanks in advance !

hey haven't got pics but i hope this proves useful

Attachments

• morane-saulnierms-1500-epervier.gif
    morane-saulnierms-1500-epervier.gif
    43.6 KB · Views: 134
  • epervier.gif
    epervier.gif
    10.2 KB · Views: 119
Well, these two drawings are a good example of the problems you face
with such things, or "never believe in 3-views you didn't manipulate yourself !" ;D
Actually I have more faith in the profile of the 3-view (don't know, who was the
draughtsman ?), which is quite near to that, made by Jean Cuny, than in the one by
R.C.Johnson, although I like his work, too. It's a pity, that the Chandelle site isn't there
anymore.
Many thanks !

Re: Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier......

Dear Jemiba, here is a contemporary article in French on the Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier which was then still a "project" along with a Morane-Saulnier advertisement......

They come from the 15th June 1957 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier - Les Ailes - 15 Juin 1957.......jpg
    Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier - Les Ailes - 15 Juin 1957.......jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier advertisement - Les Ailes - 15 Juin 1957.......jpg
    Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier advertisement - Les Ailes - 15 Juin 1957.......jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 77
perhaps look at
http://avions-de-la-guerre-d-algerie.over-blog.com/article-les-avions-que-nous-aurions-pu-voir-en-afn-ms-1500-epervier-59421644.html

Link is not working... You need to remove the final hyphen (-) sign and then it works... ;)

Many thanks, Terry and Paul, great material !
BTW, an article in the German mag "Flugzeug Classic" mentioned (quite probably
short lived !) thoughts about a license production of the Epervier by the German
Siebel Werke ATG. Can anyone remember that mentioned in another source ?

Attachments

• Epervier-D.jpg
    Epervier-D.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 182
Re: Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier prototype......

Dear Jemiba, here is a picture with a caption in French of the Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier prototype; used to illustrate an article about the continuing need for such aircraft......

The picture comes from the 16th July 1960 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier - Les Ailes - No. 1,786 - 16 Juillet 1960.......jpg
    Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier - Les Ailes - No. 1,786 - 16 Juillet 1960.......jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 153
Thanks Terry,
can you read on the original, if it is the MS.1500-01 or 02 ?

Jemiba said:
Thanks Terry,
can you read on the original, if it is the MS.1500-01 or 02 ?

Sorry Jemiba, it's on 51 year old low-quality newsprint which has oxidised. The number below the maunfacturer's designation on the rudder looks like "144" which is odd......

This is measure of the quality of the material I'm dealing with :(

Terry (Caravellarella)

Haven't been able to improve it much. Here's the best I can do at this stage...

Attachments

• MS1500enhanced.jpg
    MS1500enhanced.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 121
Stargazer2006 said:
Haven't been able to improve it much. Here's the best I can do at this stage...

Shall I send you everything I scan from these old newspapers so you can clean them up (first)? ;D

I seem to have 1940 up to November 1961......

Caravellarella said:
Shall I send you everything I scan from these old newspapers so you can clean them up (first)? ;D

If you know a good way of doing 48 hour-days within the space of a mere 24 hours, then I'll go for it! LOL

Stargazer2006 said:
Caravellarella said:

If you know a good way of doing 48 hour-days within the space of a mere 24 hours, then I'll go for it! LOL

LOL ;D

Caravellarella said:
maunfacturer's designation on the rudder looks like "144" which is odd......

AFAIK, the numbers at the tail were "N° 01" or "N° 02", on a grainy photo, this can easily be look
like something as "144".

Well, I know those issues of "Les Ailes", some of them are available at the States Library here in Berlin,
but due to their bad state are only allowed to be browsed through in the reading room for rare and especially
valuable books (under constant supervision by one of the librarians). Browsing through those issues has to be
done carefully and even then it isn't a silent affair, but can be heard through the whol room, much to the
annoyance of many of the other users ... :-\

Dear Jemiba, here is a picture with a caption in French of a Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier prototype; used to illustrate an article about France's inability to fund or procure the aircraft needed by its armed services (sounds a bit like the UK; but maybe not quite as bad)......

The picture comes from the 19th March 1960 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier - Les Ailes - No. 1,769 - 19 Mars 1960.......jpg
    Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier - Les Ailes - No. 1,769 - 19 Mars 1960.......jpg
    1 MB · Views: 119

Dear Jemiba, here is a contemporary advertisement for the Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier……

The advertisement comes from the 21st November 1959 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier advertisement - Les Ailes No. 1,752 - 21 Novembre 1959.......jpg
    Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier advertisement - Les Ailes No. 1,752 - 21 Novembre 1959.......jpg
    1,011.6 KB · Views: 50

Dear Jemiba, here is a picture with a caption in French of a Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier prototype as exhibited at the 1959 Paris Salon……

The picture comes from the 4th July 1959 issue of Les Ailes......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier prototype - Les Ailes - No. 1,736 - 4 Juillet 1959.......jpg
    Morane-Saulnier MS.1500 Épervier prototype - Les Ailes - No. 1,736 - 4 Juillet 1959.......jpg
    639.3 KB · Views: 55
In "L'Air", August 1960, I just found a short report, that the US Army showed interest in the
Epervier and that tests should be conducted in the US. Anybody, who knows about such
tests ?

Thank you, I've obviously got the light blue too light, the number isn't outlined in red, the warning sign
had no yellow filling ... ;)

Attachments

• MS-1500_Astazou.jpg
    MS-1500_Astazou.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 62