Republic AP-47 Mixed-Power Ground Support Thunderbolt Proposal of 1948

jzichek

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
New article on the Republic AP-47 Mixed-Power Ground Support Airplane Proposal of 1948 is now up at RetroMechanix.com

6753226883_c6db3a90b4_o.jpg

This was an evolution of the venerable P-47 that featured the addition of a jet power plant in the aft fuselage, among many other modifications. The accompanying gallery features 5 images, including high resolution general arrangement and inboard profile drawings.

-Jared

Link should work now - site was down temporarily, seems to be back up. Wordpress is unfortunately prone to crashing when there are spikes in traffic.

Very interesting. The title "Ground Support Thunderbolt" is a little misleading, though. The designation AP-47 had absolutely NOTHING to do with that of the USAAF's Thunderbolt. It was merely a coincidence! It came after the AP-46 Thunderscreech (XF-84H) and before the NP-48 Navy derivative of the XF-91 in the company's designations list (AP = Army Project / NP = Navy Project). Only the wing's shape and bubble cockpit can somewhat be connected to the P-47 design.

That's true, I added the "Thunderbolt" for some color. However, I am almost certain the wing, wing armament and main gear are stock P-47, probably P-47N. I hope that the complete, original proposal eventually emerges and we get more detail on it.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 181
Back
Top Bottom