Replacing the Super Hornets

Captain Kremen

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Eventually, when the Super Hornets time in the US armed forces came to an end, a replacement became a major problem.The 'new' fighter was not as 'new' as first suspected, actually an aircraft design going back to the late 1970's. This aircraft took the American Armed Forces well into the 22nd century, and beyond!
Model :The X-Wing
Builders: AMAS (American AeroSpace)
Putting the StarWars X-Wing to a better use!

Attachments

• X Wing.jpg
    X Wing.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 198
Negative.

Falken will be the replacement. Both of my boys are qualified high time pilots of this aircraft and are quite proficient at demonstrating their significant expertise. ::)

Attachments

• ADF-01F%81FFALKEN-04.jpg
    ADF-01F%81FFALKEN-04.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 194
Jemiba said:
And of course you can forget the X-Wing !
If you ever have flown it against the Tie-Defender, you'll know, that it won't
stand a chance ! An A-Wing, maybe, but you'll need numerical superiority and
very good pilots in your flight, both things, that would be hard to get in our
financially restricted times today ! ;)

that work, except you cross Dark Vader T-Fighter: then you-re DOOM !

The Marines would never field something like the Falken. Why? Because of one simple reason: It's too cheap! With it's huge freakin' laser and everything! No, the Marines, being the most honor-bound service there ever is, would field something that gives the enemy a little bit more of a fighting chance, and a little more style too :)

Attachments

• dxdshot1148356221.jpg
    dxdshot1148356221.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 179
Hi,
The YF-25 concept is the same image as the EASA X-02 which is on the ACE COMBAT 4 & 5, Sony Playstation2. The used to be a plastic model kit by Hawegawa. The company EASA is nonexistent.
There is a Webb site:www.shatteredskies.net/x02analysis.html
That gives you all the spec.

McColm said:
Hi,
The YF-25 concept is the same image as the EASA X-02 which is on the ACE COMBAT 4 & 5, Sony Playstation2.

Uhhh...probably because I typed in "X-02" in Google Images to find that image in the first place....

Phh no need for that, just send in the EDI's and in some cases Talons.

_EDI_Talon.jpg

Dragon029 said:
Phh no need for that, just send in the EDI's and in some cases Talons.

_EDI_Talon.jpg

Best of all those are Northrop designs. ;D

sferrin said:

The fictional aircraft in Stealth are based on real Northrup designs or are you pulling my leg? The now defunct AvPro said that they were going to be consultants for a new Hollywood movie? Was it Stealth? I guess these fictional aircraft would be Talon II since there is already a Northrop T-38 Talon trainer currently in service.

I agree, story could have been much better but for a senseless action flick it was okay in my books.

As for the Talon (II) the studio says that they were consulted by Northrop Grumman as what a futuristic plane would be and they gave them roughly these <I wouldn't be surprised if they simply suggested the Switchblade, perhaps a slightly updated concept version> aircraft and then let the artists spice them up.

Speaking of the Talon's <and sorry if this is going off-topic> but what kind of advantages do pulse detonation engines give over turbojets for example? I guess if you were building a ______/scramjet aircraft you'd want the least amount of moving parts and least weight but does pulse detonation provide a better top speed, acceleration, lower fuel consumption, etc?

Actually it is time to remake "Firefox" but called "FireDragon"

Two seat stealth hypersonic "Chinese" bomber. It has to be stolen by Jet Li and Lucy Lu :eek: Lots of martial arts in leading up to a air to air fight with Chinese (want it back), Russian (they want it to) and US (someone on Guam did not get the memo) fighters as the J-118XX Firedragon bomber races across the Pacific to Hawaii.

Hey Hollywood my idea I'll take 1% of the global gross.

Triton said:
sferrin said:

The fictional aircraft in Stealth are based on real Northrup designs or are you pulling my leg? The now defunct AvPro said that they were going to be consultants for a new Hollywood movie? Was it Stealth? I guess these fictional aircraft would be Talon II since there is already a Northrop T-38 Talon trainer currently in service.

It is just a fictional story to make it more interesting, The planes were designed by some German (product)designer. Forgot the name and can't seem to find it online.

BAROBA said:
The planes were designed by some German (product)designer. Forgot the name and can't seem to find it online.

"To help Cohen sell the idea for the film to Sony, Digital Domain created a 40-second sample shot. Engineers from Northrop Grumman helped design a plane for the test, then worked on aircraft for the movie.

“There were two planes: the Talon, which the hotshot pilots fly, and EDI, the invader,” says Hynek. “The engineers helped us flesh out concepts like where to put the weapons, and then production designer Michael Riva gave them a sexy Hollywood look.”

http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW/2005/Volume-28-Issue-9-September-2005-/High-Flying-FX.aspx

Is there anywhere where we can take a look at the sample shot?

sferrin said:
BAROBA said:
The planes were designed by some German (product)designer. Forgot the name and can't seem to find it online.

"To help Cohen sell the idea for the film to Sony, Digital Domain created a 40-second sample shot. Engineers from Northrop Grumman helped design a plane for the test, then worked on aircraft for the movie.

“There were two planes: the Talon, which the hotshot pilots fly, and EDI, the invader,” says Hynek. “The engineers helped us flesh out concepts like where to put the weapons, and then production designer Michael Riva gave them a sexy Hollywood look.”

http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW/2005/Volume-28-Issue-9-September-2005-/High-Flying-FX.aspx

Hi Guys,
Why not go with the YF-21 theme or VF-25 from Transformers. The whatifmodelers.com have some pictures of these. I've tried several webb sites and they seem to be sold out. But the concept looks good, take away the lasers and the hyperdrive, add a better cockpit and hey presto, we could have the world first naval/air force fighter aircraft conceived from a Japanese toy.

Dear McColm, we're seemingly wrong forum for that stuff. We're more for real aircrafts.

Hi Flateric,
Ah come on, surely the paper dart you made at school has had an impact on aircraft design. What about that Italian painter chap who took the inspiration from the sycamore and produced the worlds first helicopter.
The Wright brothers used a kite before they put an engine on it.
The knotted hanky was the design for the parachute.
So you still think toys don't play apart in the real world, what about the phrase "to catch the ball" on an aircraft carrier. A Brit used a mirror and a torch, simple idea. Still used today by the Yankee Navy.
A large crochet needle welded to fuselage of an aircraft landed on a ship with piano wire across the deck this became the arrestor hook and arrester gear system.
Where do you think the idea for the Saturn Rocket came from, if the Chinese hadn't invented the firework, no moon landings?
You've got to think out of he box. The design and tooling are already there. All you have to do is scale it up a bit.
The unmanned reconnaissance vehicles deployed in the Middle East and Afghanistan all came from a toy, remote control or R/C aircraft. Toys for the boys!!

ok, no offence, just asking don't go too far with macross and transformers stuff
'Keep the flies and the meat separate" - Vladimir Putin
in my turn I think that, in reverse, these toys and cartoons are inspired by real hardware, aren't they?

I'd order super-sonic Harrier Jump Jets, or Yakovlev Yak-141, with the latest weapons and up-graded engines. Stealth aircrafts like ATF and presumably JSF don't seem to fit for starting and landing on carriers.

flateric said:
ok, no offence, just asking don't go too far with macross and transformers stuff

Didn't mean to, but it's a lot like confusing Star Wars and Star Trek ;)

Hi Guys,
Will the replacement of the Super Hornets still be piloted by human in a flying cockpit, or a guy in a bunker using cameras?
As technology advances in the aerospace industry unlike the automobile where inspiration can be gained through history such as retro. The aircraft industry doesn't follow suit. I'm not saying bring back the Spitfire or Mustang, but couldn't you use the YF-23 or one of the alternatives i.e. The Typhoon or a naval version of the Tornado GR4 with the longer Tornado F-3 fuselage, new engines and avionics, or the X-44 Manta.

Hi Guys,
What about the cancelled A-12 Avenger II? The Avenger was due to replace the A-6 ,A-7 and F-14 in the attack role. As it's shape is triangular this makes it ideal for an all weather, carrier-based stealth bomber. The wings fold and it's a two seater. If the costs can be reduced you could be on to a winner.

A-12 was beauty in terms of aesthetics, but beast in terms of overweight and construction

Hi Guys,
With the recent retirement of the F-117 Nighthawk from the USAF, the Sea Hawk projects could go a head. The Royal Air Force proposal in 1995 for the F-117C or was it B-for Britian could have been the A/F-117X. Any way the naval variant could easily be adapted with little cost as the Royal Navy would go half way and lengthen the fuselage to allow a second seat behind the pilot. Just change the canopy to the all clear glass of the F-22 or have two separate canopies. Change the engines to the F414 or EuroFighter, enlarge the weapons bay, fold the wing and strengthen the undercarriage. Might have to lengthen the wing and change the angle.
The cost of building something new would be a lot more than recycling the old.

Hi Guys,
Has anyone proposed the F/A-45 Goshawk, as fighter/attack? A bigger wing and more power, updated avionics. It could be similar to the A-4 Skyhawk.

"Has anyone proposed the F/A-45 Goshawk, as fighter/attack?"

Yes, you !! ;)

The idea seems to have its merits, it would be "just" mating the T-45 to the Hawk 200.
But IIRC, development of the T-45 already was quite a protracted affair and "only"
adding the forward fuselage of the Hawk 200 may turn out to be more difficult, than
expected. And given the number of nations owning small carriers for CTO aircraft there
probably isn't a really large market.
But it's a broad field for what-if's, I think ! :D

Attachments

• Hawk-Naval.GIF
    Hawk-Naval.GIF
    33.7 KB · Views: 85
The Chinese J-10 export version could be used as an alternative, when it is available.

The Chinese J-10 export version could be used as an alternative, when it is available.
i dont see how america could use chinese weapons. (even though everything else we use is made in china) we seem to shy away from that. here in the states we make our own weapons and aircraft.

Has anyone proposed the F/A-45 Goshawk, as fighter/attack?

This reminds me of a fascination I had a few years back for mixed propulsion attack aircraft.

One of my ideas was a T-45 Goshawk with a turboprop added… would allow for efficient long range cruise with the jet engine shut down, as well as some redundancy in the event of the loss of one engine. Basically the idea was for a modern close air support aircraft a bit like the A-1 Skyraider!

Attachments

• 73390DB6-0D63-4EB5-959E-9B9377542851.png
    73390DB6-0D63-4EB5-959E-9B9377542851.png
    229.9 KB · Views: 52
Has anyone proposed the F/A-45 Goshawk, as fighter/attack?

This reminds me of a fascination I had a few years back for mixed propulsion attack aircraft.

One of my ideas was a T-45 Goshawk with a turboprop added… would allow for efficient long range cruise with the jet engine shut down, as well as some redundancy in the event of the loss of one engine. Basically the idea was for a modern close air support aircraft a bit like the A-1 Skyraider!
Goshhawk? isnt that a short range trainer/air-surface attack aircraft? very interesting idea though!

Goshhawk? isnt that a short range trainer/air-surface attack aircraft? very interesting idea though!
Yep. The Hawk’s payload/range isn’t so bad actually… ~350nm Hi-Lo-Hi with 4x 250kg bombs, 2 AAMs and 2x 600L external tanks.

I figured with the added benefit of a turboprop for long range cruise and loiter, it would have pretty decent legs for the close support role.

Extra brownie points if one could fit wingtip rocket pods (instead of AAMs) like in the 1950s… a pair of 7-round LAU-68 pods with laser guided rockets would be perfect.

Last edited: